• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense auto space - disabling or alternative keyboard

JamesUK

Jul 15, 2012
I have searched quite a bit before posting this. I recently changed from an old HTC One S to an HTC One Mini 2 (with HTC sense version 6.0). Now when I type a word on HTC predictive keyboard (Phone not qwerty) it adds a space after the word. I've read this discussed and whether its good or bad and if you can disable (it seems not).

What I believe is plain wrong is that the space does not appear, so for example I want to write within a message BuyMyBike.com (I just made this up) so I type Buy (keys 2, 8, 9), I hit 'Buy' at the top edge to 'accept' it, the cursor is shown immediately after the y - BUT when I enter the next letter (the M) a space then appears, i.e. it comes up as "Buy My" this is so annoying!!!

Can anyone suggest a keyboard that doesn't do this? Seems google keyboard (gboard) is the same.

Reactions: Hellyeah12344321
A lot of keyboards have been adding this "spot the missing space and correct it" stuff. But if you are using a full keyboard rather than the number pad thing you can just type the full word out and accept it rather than any suggestion that would break it up (as I do with SwiftKey - and if I don't, backspace to the word and it lets me redo the choices, i.e. undo the spaces). The problem is with a phone pad input you'll need to accept suggestions earlier in the typing of the long name.

(I'll be honest, I didn't realise that the keyboards still supported that option, it's been so long since I've seen anyone use it!).

Upvote 0
Thanks for that Hadron. It is a change in behaviour from the previous HTC keyboard (otherwise they seem pretty similar) and for me it's a downside. As I said, what annoys me the most is the space isn't there until you hit a key for the new word, so you can't even accept the word, delete the space then put the 2nd 'word', you have to accept the word, press a key, delete that character AND the space before it, then start typing the second 'word'. I can type fast on the phone keypad but maybe I'll have to give in and use a qwerty (I can touch type on a proper keyboard but not so fast on a phone sized qwerty).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones