1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Sense Browser equivalent?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by deanshep85, Aug 8, 2011.

1. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    Ok I know I can't flash the stock sense browser into anything BUT a sense ROM, but which is the *CLOSEST* to the sense browser?

I only ask as the stock browser (I think it is stock) still seems to have a few issues with it.

Sometimes it keeps flicking between mobile and desktop EVEN though I set it to IE6 in the User Agent. It also has problems with the Hotmail site, refusing to view emails, delete emails or even go into different folders etc. It also has a weird graphical glitch where the address bar/bookmark button produce a weird echo over the top of the status bar when loading some pages, not all the time, but enough to annoy.

I have tried Dolphin or others yet, I just wanted to get your opinions and if there is any that are almost copys of the Sense browser.

AND just incase it *IS* possible to flash the Sense browser in GV 2.8....though I don't think so given what I'm reading, although I can't see why not really as its just another app....right? :thinking:

Advertisement

2. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Never really had a problem switching between desktop and froyo, which are the 2 I use. It shows desktop in desktop and mobile in froyo. cant comment on hotmail. Gmail works fine ;) ie6 is an unsupported browser by the way.l dont ever expect to get the best out of the internet emulating that.

as for the echo, if you turn off the "full page" setting, it doesnt seem to happen.

Sense browser just an app? no. Its a rom component that relies on frameworks from the rom to function and must be compiled from source with that framework to be compatible,

3. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    I have Gmail, but also hotmail...so kinda need that to work ;) and there isn't 'desktop' in my browser User Agent, all I have is;

Android,
    Froyo,
    Eclair,
    Linux Desktop,
    Mac Desktop,
    iPhone,
    iPad,
    IE6...

thats it.

I'll give that a try then.

See thats what I thought in the end after everything I read....but part of me was still *HOPING* it was just an app and it was something someone could rip out and put up lol dont blame me for trying eh :D;)

4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    Could try Linux desktop..

5. jedipenguin

jedipenguin Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I really missed the Stock sense browser when I rooted and flashed MIUI but the Dolphin HD/Mini browsers offer a fantastic alternative and the gesture system allows for some pretty sweet shortcuts so I'd highly recommend giving them a whirl.

Tags: