• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Sense Crash / Loading Issue

Vlad788

Lurker
Aug 23, 2011
Hello Everyone, I guess ever since May or June I've been having an issue with HTC Sense loading or restarting after running various applications. Unforunately I'm one of the thousands with an HTC phone suffering from the HTC Sense crashing and loading issue. For no particular reason that I can think of, HTC sense CONSTANTLY crashes randomly. I don't know what to do I've browsed so many websites, and I've tried to come to a conclusion but I simply can't.

The phone is awesome and I love HTC Sense but its annoying how it keeps on crashing and its kinda annoying because if I need to make a call I have to wait until it loads just to do it and it takes 45 - 50 seconds to start up all over again.

I've installed an application called "SeePU" that tells me how much memory is being used, I noticed that the memory "frees up" when the crash occurs its as if something is causing the HTC Sense to crash but I don't know what it is. Any ideas? My phone is NOT rooted, and I've performed backups and did factory resets at least 3 times its really annoying to have to reset it again.

I also deleted the HTC Sense data and rebuilt my theme from scratch to no avail. Any tips or suggestions? Is there any hacks out there that can fix this problem?

Much Appreciated,
Vlad

It really is a shame that no one has found a solution to this yet. Mine started doing it about 4 weeks ago and I followed the suggestiong of reseting HTC sense (clearing cached data etc) and although this temporarily fixes the problem (as does a re-boot), it still comes back later.

Interestingly it can also cure itself sometimes.

Maybe it's a particular app that we have all downloaded that is causing it? One of the biggest games I've been playing so far is Paradise Island, anyone else with this problem playing it?

Upvote 0
I never rooted my phone (paranoid I'll screw it up) but once 2.3 came out & sense started the reboot issue, I switched over to go launcher instead. Was only supposed to be until they fixed sense, but its been so long & I actually have grown to really like it, their themes, widgets, etc. So another fix could be maybe skipping sense all together? At least until its fixed? (Whenever that might be...)

Reactions: Reefwalker
Upvote 0
No I dont' have it installed, I tried freeing up some space on my phone but that doesn't seem to do anything nor solve the problem. I was thinking of going ahead and rooting the phone to see if there is something out there that could end the problem. I'm wondering if there is a rooted fix to this problem...

Upvote 0
Well, I don't have the loading issue and I am rooted, running a custom rom. That being said, Android 2.3 on the shift cannot be permanently rooted at this point, so I don't think that is going to help you. But, as I have posted in another thread, and not gotten a concrete response on, try a different launcher like the poster above. Maybe Launcher pro or go launcher or something similar. I bet it will help.

Upvote 0
hey guys,

I have the same sort of problem on my Desire Z, mine occurs every time i hit the home button. it's so irritating. I try to do as much as possible without hitting the home button...

Hey there quaay. We have similar phones, but I'm not sure it is the same issue. Maybe you could ask in the forum for your phone, they may have a fix for you over there.

Other than that, I would try just using the back button instead of home. It will close out the app and save your battery a little bit as well.

Here is the link to the Desire Z forum HTC Desire Z - Android Forums

Also, I'm going to move this post once I know you've seen what I posted for you...

Upvote 0
I have come to the conclusion that it is a memory leak type problem. Certain apps cause it, but they are not mutually exclusive. Some apps seem to do it for some people, while the same apps don't for other folks. It is definitely a memory management problem with the update. Hopefully they can get it sorted soon, I know there are a lot of folks who are plenty ticked about it....

Upvote 0
I never rooted my phone (paranoid I'll screw it up) but once 2.3 came out & sense started the reboot issue, I switched over to go launcher instead. Was only supposed to be until they fixed sense, but its been so long & I actually have grown to really like it, their themes, widgets, etc. So another fix could be maybe skipping sense all together? At least until its fixed? (Whenever that might be...)

This spot on, HTC Sense seems to be culprit. I just installed "LauncherPro" and "HomeSwitcher for Froyo" and no more HTC screen of death.
Sucks since Sense is main component, at least for me,.which separates HTC from the rest.
-RW

Upvote 0
Gah, the problem is even WORSE at the moment. Sense now resets EVERY time. It's so damn annoying.

Yeah I'm just gonna get launcher pro and stick with it. Honestly I don't Kline it at all and I think sense is simply way better but the crashing is really annoying and it sucks because to make a call I have to wait 35-40 seconds for the app to reload. Sprint has got to get to the bottom of this already, it's been like 6 months with this ridiculous problem.

And unfortunately since I updated to Android 2.33 there really is no root out there for it... At least for the EVO Shift...

Upvote 0
Does using Launcher Pro remove Sense, or just over ride it?

Can Launcher Pro be installed to the SD card?

If perm root for the shift ever becomes available, I'm wanting to remove Sense and bloatware and go to stock Android. Right now my app storage space is so low that I have to delete all the data on the Internet browser every couple of days, just so I can update my existing apps. Really don't want to install any new apps right now if I don't have to. The "app storage low" icon on the top notification bar is becoming a permanent fixture on my phone...

Upvote 0
Launcher pro runs over top of sense.

I can't exactly remember, but I'm almost positive that it cannot be run from sd.

If and when permanent root becomes available, you can load a stock android rom to your shift if you want to remove sense. It may free up some space for you to run additional apps. There are numerous different roms that are AOSP (stock android) to choose from. I am not too familiar with them, as I run sense. In the past I have used cyanogenmod, also known as CM x.x. The CM roms are usually very well supported by devs and updated very often.

Have you installed all the apps possible to sd to help with the low internal storage issue you have?

Reactions: jimjeffcoat
Upvote 0
I finally caved in and installed GO Launcher EX. I am a HUGE fan of HTC Sense UI but I've come to the conclusion that Sense UI was causing all the re-boots. Ever since I have installed GO Launcher EX, I have yet to have a re-boot of the UI. GO Launcher Ex is completely customizable, almost to the extent that you can me it almost look like HTC sense. The only thing I do not have is the Friend Stream widget but I can use a twitter and facebook widget. You can also add and subtract screens. I'm an original webOS guy and I like to tweak so this new UI is very cool. And fast.

It's a nice stop gap until there is an update for the Sense UI re-boot issue.

Upvote 0
I have Evo Shift and have been having similar problem. My phone just turns off though and I have to restart. I've done factory reset and today they took software off and put it back on again. As I was downloading my Apps again, the phone crashed while doing nothing. Then, as it was restarting, it died again. Taking it back to get a "replacement" tomorrow.

I don't have any of the apps listed in this thread, but I think this silly game called Dungeon Quest might be the answer. Problem is I really like playing the game and don't want to quit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones