1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Sense or LauncherPro?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kat3k, May 24, 2011.

1. kat3k

kat3k Member

I thought I'd give the new Sense a chance, but I miss LauncherPro and am thinking about installing it. I wonder if I'd be missing out on anything Sense has to offer by switching to LP.

Any opinions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Renegade360

Renegade360 Newbie

Guess I sort of grew up on sense, my first two smart phones were HTC with sense. I've tried launcher pro and just liked the feel of sense better. No particular reason. I guess it's one of these if it aint broke things.

3. kat3k

kat3k Member

That's what I thought for a long time and couldn't see the big deal about LP. I even tried it and couldn't get the hang of it. Quite a while later gave it another try, and now prefer it to anything else. I have it on an Evo phone, and kind of like the continuity of the same thing between devices.

But with the new Sense, I wonder if I'd be compromising features to go to LP.

4. ryan00davis

ryan00davis Newbie

on my incredible, I prefer launcher pro. but I think on the tablet i think sense is a bit better with the added features. I do miss some customization, my 2 biggest gripes:
    they should let me choose the number of rows and columns on the screens.
    they should let me change the bottom right button that brings up the screen to change wallpaper and and shortcuts, this is completely wasted.

5. kat3k

kat3k Member

I agree with the waste of that "personalize" button. And isn't there only a dock of shortcuts on the home screen? What new added features are in the new Sense? I would expect they're substantial, but am not figuring it out yet.

6. ryan00davis

ryan00davis Newbie

I guess I just like the sense widgets for the tablet. I think the notes widget which integrates with evernote is probably the only unique one that you couldn't find a duplicate for on launcher pro. I haven't tried yet, but I question if the pen button overlays work in launcher pro.

Now that I think about it, I'm also not a huge fan of the one page at a time scroll in the applications list in sense instead of the normal continuous scroll.

I guess the biggest selling point for me at this point is stability and responsiveness. at some point in the next week or so, I'm sure I'll give launcher pro a try to actually be able to make a side by side comparison on the same device. I do know that when I had launcher pro on my g-tablet (which I only had for a couple days before i decided i couldn't live with the viewing angles), i felt a bit unsatisfied, but maybe I just needed more time customizing and setting it up.

7. kat3k

kat3k Member

Let me know what you think after you try it. I had an Archos 101 recently that I had myself totally sold on until I used it for about a week. I put LP on it, which worked well, but it had android 2.2. It was about half the price of the Flyer (if you count the pen), but still not worth it.

I'd like to figure out what features, if any, would be given up to LP.

8. ryan00davis

ryan00davis Newbie

I didn't give it a long try out, but i did install it, and I can confirm that the pen button thing still does work in launcher pro. if you tap the screen with the pen, you can still draw on it.

Even with zero widgets and just the couple of default icons, launcher pro did seem to have a tiny bit more lag when scrolling around than my sense setup with widgets on all 8 screens.

What I really want is the ability to customize pen interactions with the screen. so in some programs it will act just like your finger, in some programs it acts like a stylus.

9. kat3k

kat3k Member

Now that would make me like the pen. I'd be very interested to know if you find a way to do that.

10. techbota

techbota Lurker

Taken from the iamandroid site.

This is probably why launcher pro was lagging. Not only was it running launcher pro but it was running all your widgets you have up on htc sense even though it appears to not be running.

What happens to HTC Sense when I install LauncherPro?

Nothing, it

HTC Flyer Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews