1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTC Sense phone firmware keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by john_g, Aug 8, 2011.

1. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2010
    London, UK
    Hi,

In the past week or so the HTC Sense interface on my DHD keeps crashing and, before I do a full reset, I'm wondering whether anyone else is experiencing this?

The effect is that, often when I return to the home screen, it is blank for a few seconds, only showing the wallpaper. Then HTC Sense restarts and everything returns to normal. I know the phone is (sometimes at least) sending error reports to HTC but I've only managed to inspect one, which showed a Java memory error.

It always seems to happen when I'm exiting an app and returning to the home screen. It only does it maybe one time in five, and seems to occur with different apps including Friendstream, Mail and other non-HTC apps as well. I've had some app updates recently as well as the latest HTC firmware update, so it's hard for me to pinpoint where the problem lies.

I've done the usual power-downs and battery pull, but to no effect.

I'm in the UK with a unbranded phone that isn't rooted and is always treated with love and respect. My firmware is the latest v2.3.3, build number 2.50.405.2

Any help that saves me from the hassle of a factory reset would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Have you tried clearing the data associated with HTC Sense in the apps menu?

It's not a full reset, but you would lose homescreen configs etc. It shouldn't delete any apps (as far as I'm aware but you may lose anything downloaded via HTC Hub).

john_g likes this.
  3. kingdave

kingdave Android Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010
    Project Manager
    Manchester
    My HTC Sense has been crashing regularly since I updated the phone to Gingerbread.

Whenever I back out of an app I get the white screen with the green HTC logo, then it tells me to wait while it reloads all the apps and icons on the homescreens.

Doesn't seem to happen when I come out of a default app (as in, once that was installed on the phone when I got it; Gmail, Facebook etc) but with any other Market installed app it does.

Can't work out what is causing it or how to fix it.

4. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2010
    London, UK
    Great suggestion El Pres. I'd not realised that I might be able to do that and it seems to have got everything running properly again with minimal disruption - the only things that needed reinstating were the wallpaper, and the app shortcuts and widgets on the home-screens, which only took a couple of minutes.

Thank you.

5. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No probs, glad it sorted it!

6. rjrcooper

rjrcooper Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have exactly the same problem but clearing the HTC sense data didn't work for me. I still get the white screen with the green HTC logo when exiting apps. It's a pain when it takes about 20 seconds before I can use my phone again.

Does anyone know if there's a log file that might provide some clues as to what's causing the crash? I thought it could be a widget but I've removed most of them and it's still happening.

I have a Desire S. Android 2.3, Sense 3.0.

Thanks

7. kingdave

kingdave Android Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010
    Project Manager
    Manchester
    Quick update to this thread:

I'm still having this problem since the update to 2.3.5 Sense 3. Since I installed the official update I have done a full factory reset but the problem came back almost immediately.

A couple of months later and it is steadily worse. I cannot load ANYTHING without it crashing Sense. Whether it be stock browser, market, Go SMS, Gmail etc it ALWAYS now crashes.

I've tried deleting the data from the HTC Sense app but that did nothing. Still crashing and now I have a home screen that I need to re-setup (no biggy!).

Incidentally, the HTC battery widget randomly deleted itself from my home screen before I deleted the data and I couldn't re-add it. Tried installing the update from the HTC Hub and it still won't install itself.

Getting very annoyed with my phone's "can't be arsed attitude"!!

8. stanleysee

stanleysee Lurker
    None

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm using Desire HD, sense 3.0, android 2.3.5
    After the update, home screen keep crashing like you guys. It may happen when update app, exit app, uninstall non-HTC app. Deleted sense data, soft reset and factory reset. Didn't help at all. The problem still exist~ What can we do then??
    I used to love sense so much, but now :mad::mad::mad:

Please share if anybody has updates about this issue. Thanks~

9. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If it's still there after a factory reset, I'd say you need to give HTC a call unfortunately. :(