1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root HTC Sense ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by whitedragon551, Mar 17, 2011.

1. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    Im new to the ROM scene and the Droid phones. This is my first, but I managed to get it rooted with UnRevoked and I managed to get all the bloat frozen.

I really like HTC Sense, but Im hoping there is a ROM out there thats a little faster and better on battery life while maintaining the Sense look and feel. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    there are some "sense-less" roms that will prolly be better battery-wise,but i dont know how much they will look or feel like sense. i personally am not a big fan of it. i like the way the icons and such look in pure vanilla android,and the only sense widget i care much for is the weather wiget.

id suggest trying cm6 if you want to see how you like a non-sense rom. its a stable release and cm roms have alot of tweakability.

personally, i try sense roms but usually go back to cm7 after a day or 2.

im sure some others will be along with some good recomendations for a rom that meets your criteria :)

3. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    What is CM6? Laymans terms here. Im new the the ROM scene remember ;P

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    cm=cyanogenmod
    6=2.2 froyo
    7=2.3 gingerbread

downloads here:
    CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

just make sure when using cyanogenmod that your download is for "inc" :)

youll see cm 6.1.0 toward the bottom of the list. its a stable froyo rom thats been out for awhile. if you want to try the cm7 nightlys,just pick the latest one. ive been using them for a couple weeks and they are very stable for me-i use them daily.

5. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    Hmm. Any screenshots or anything? I wont be using any themes or skins.

6. jayochs

jayochs Android Enthusiast
    None

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
    here, go here

The Incredible List

they say which are sense and which are non sense. as for sense roms, i agree with you, i love sense roms because i think the stock android vanilla look is super ugly, and sense is by far the nicest version of the UI's. i used redemptive revolution for a while when i first rooted, which is original sense 1.5 or whatever, with froyo. however, i've begun to use Warm Z by incubus, which is also on that site, as it's the new Sense 2.0 which has some cool functions (like the homescreens can go into landscape view etc) and i LOVE this rom. there's also some reviews there, as well as screenies

7. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    I think redemptive revolution may be a winner. Its the only one with a near identical HTC Sense GUI. All the others are to "flashy" and skinned.

8. hgoldner

hgoldner Well-Known Member
    None

May 4, 2010
    Lawyer
    SE Pennsylvania, USA
    If you're just rooted, I recommend taking slow steps away from stock.

The Incredible List (link in prior message) is good, but not entirely up to date.

One of the closest to stock ROM's is Virtuous, which removes all bloatware, and has some easy modding ability.

Over on xda-developers forums there is a relatively new ROM not mentioned on the Incredible list called "Nothing Special" which is strictly stock ROM minus all the bloatware.

I recommend either for first-time rooters. Then you can move away from stock with closer Sense-based ROM's like Magnolia (my current ROM), or Skyraider Sense, and then move further away, if you choose with Sense-less ROM's, such as Athena.

Cyanogen is an AOSP ROM, taking it still further away from stock, but also giving you stuff that is really out there in the user community.

To each their own, and that's really what makes Android such a great platform. (And I haven't even started talking about kernels, radios, etc.)

Jarpee likes this.
  9. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    How about just running a different kernel rather than a ROM? Is that possible? If so which would you recommend? Im thinking about running the HeyItsLou v6.

EDIT- I went with HIL v9 for starters. We will see how things go.

10. Jarpee

Jarpee Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    Med Student
    Tennessee
    I just flashed HIL 8 with my stock ROM. So far seems like a slight speed increase in navigation and app loading. Not sure about battery life due to this being my first cycle with it but so far I am impressed.

11. whitedragon551

None

Mar 17, 2011
    Office Administrator
    I ran Magnolia for a day and liked it. I now run Redemption Revolution with HeyItsLou kernel v8 and love it so far.

12. YamiYaiba

YamiYaiba Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Mental Healthcare
    Knoxville, TN & Johnson City, TN
    How did we go from him asking for a Sense ROM to giving him little else but Vanilla suggestions?

13. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    well,if you read his first post it was a little more general than "reccomend a good sense rom"

he asked about speed and battery life,wich IMO will be better accomplished with a "senseless" type rom. incredibly re-engineered is an awsome rom,it feels super fast and responsive,but its battery life(for me at least) as about like stock.if it used any less,i couldnt tell it.

i think CM should be experienced. some like it,some dont,but if he never tries it he cant form that opinion. that was my reason for suggesting it,as he is new to rooting.

i think for the questions hes asked,hes gotten good advice from forum members :)

14. Tim224DT

Tim224DT Newbie
    None

Mar 15, 2010
    I have been running the

IncROM

IncROM - The Incredible List

It has the Sense with it and it is very cut and clean. No problems since day one on install with it. Custom ROM builders are not allowed to include a program to control the CPU speeds of the phone into their roms. But if you want something that will save some battery life look into something that will allow controlling of the CPU after rooting the phone.