• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sync 3.0 - Media Sync

I'm also curious about another thing. I noticed if you click on Overview in the list after syncing your phone to the program. As you can see:

27M0.jpg

I have not tried it yet, but was curious does the Application Installer mean that this is another way to install *.apk applications rather than having to use the SDK?

Upvote 0
So I contacted HTC Support via email, and I must have got one of the good ones. She was able to tell me exactly what to do, and now I have 3.0 working! Below is what she told me to do.

Enjoy!

You may have a background program conflicting with the installation. We can disable all background programs and then start the installation again from scratch to do this:

1. Save any work
2. Uninstall HTC Sync
3. Start>Run>msconfig (Or windows key+r for run)
4. Services Tab, tick hide all microsoft programs (at the bottom of the msconfig window tick it)
(This is very important to click on hide all microsoft services first or computer issues can occur - be sure to tick this box)
5. Now once that is ticked, click on disable all (MS services are hidden as you ticked the box so they will not be disabled now)
6. Startup Tab, click on disable all
7. Close/OK then restart
8. The PC will restart with only essential MS programs running
9. Click on do not show this again
10. Install HTC Sync
11. Plug in your PDA

If it does not see the below steps:

On our device browse to Settings > Applications > Development and then tick the option to enable USB Debugging. Now re-connect our device to your PC via the supplied USB cable.

If it does not, or if it does, we still need to re-enable all of your background programs that you have installed on your PC to run in the background.

1. Start>Run>msconfig
2. Services Tab, click on enable all
3. Startup Tab, click on enable all (leave any unticked that you do not want that may be slowing your PC down - this is up to you)
4. Ok/Close restart
5. The PC will restart back as normal

Now go into Sync Manager> Tools>Repair

Upvote 0
WARNING...WARNING WARNING......

I just tried out the sync program. I didn't sync anything...just looked around. Now I am missing about 70 icons from and Icon pack that I placed on my SD Card this morning....and I am missing about 310 pics. WTF.....

This is the only thing that I messed with that could cause something like this to happen.

BIG BIG BIG Fail.

I just rebooted and two of my icons that are on my homescreen were missing....that's when I went looking for them...and noticed they are not there. Going thru other files now. This blows.

Seriously....I am getting more and more furious now that I think about it. When it first started it told me I had 2.8 GB free space....which was about right. Then I went thru each Sync menu (calendar, pics) and looked around. I was interested to see the docs sync feature....which at this point is only one way. I tried a docs sync only...which was none...and when I was back on the overview page it said I had 3.3 gigs free. I overlooked it then...but that is just more evidence that it was this.

Seriously...I never experienced anything like this. I am not technically challenged either.

Ahhhhhhh......sooooo pissed. I have a backup of the entire SD card but it is about 2 months old. 9/25/10

I did get a SMS while syncing. Even more annoying....like the Fing devil.....sorry everyone I am just soooo pissed.

Just went and restored all the files from the two folders I know got corrupted and now I am back to free space of 2.92...and I have about 2.82 or 2.80 free before. Still missing 100MB....but that's not the end of the world. It looks like I just lost pics. What sucks is that they are all pics of my kids. Probably the ones taken between now and 9/25. But i didn't lose any from today.

Upvote 0
So I contacted HTC Support via email, and I must have got one of the good ones. She was able to tell me exactly what to do, and now I have 3.0 working! Below is what she told me to do.

Enjoy!

You may have a background program conflicting with the installation. We can disable all background programs and then start the installation again from scratch to do this:

1. Save any work
2. Uninstall HTC Sync
3. Start>Run>msconfig (Or windows key+r for run)
4. Services Tab, tick hide all microsoft programs (at the bottom of the msconfig window tick it)
(This is very important to click on hide all microsoft services first or computer issues can occur - be sure to tick this box)
5. Now once that is ticked, click on disable all (MS services are hidden as you ticked the box so they will not be disabled now)
6. Startup Tab, click on disable all
7. Close/OK then restart
8. The PC will restart with only essential MS programs running
9. Click on do not show this again
10. Install HTC Sync
11. Plug in your PDA

If it does not see the below steps:

On our device browse to Settings > Applications > Development and then tick the option to enable USB Debugging. Now re-connect our device to your PC via the supplied USB cable.

If it does not, or if it does, we still need to re-enable all of your background programs that you have installed on your PC to run in the background.

1. Start>Run>msconfig
2. Services Tab, click on enable all
3. Startup Tab, click on enable all (leave any unticked that you do not want that may be slowing your PC down - this is up to you)
4. Ok/Close restart
5. The PC will restart back as normal

Now go into Sync Manager> Tools>Repair

This unfortunately did not work for me. I did get it to work last night, I ended up having to remove it though because I was trying to go through the process of HBOOT to root my phone however I didn't get far with that either. However, I went ahead and decided to reinstall the HTC Sync and it didn't work for me and I even followed the steps above.

Has anyone else tried the above to try and get it to work, if so did it work for you?

Upvote 0
WARNING...WARNING WARNING......

I just tried out the sync program. I didn't sync anything...just looked around. Now I am missing about 70 icons from and Icon pack that I placed on my SD Card this morning....and I am missing about 310 pics. WTF.....

This is the only thing that I messed with that could cause something like this to happen.

BIG BIG BIG Fail.

I just rebooted and two of my icons that are on my homescreen were missing....that's when I went looking for them...and noticed they are not there. Going thru other files now. This blows.

Seriously....I am getting more and more furious now that I think about it. When it first started it told me I had 2.8 GB free space....which was about right. Then I went thru each Sync menu (calendar, pics) and looked around. I was interested to see the docs sync feature....which at this point is only one way. I tried a docs sync only...which was none...and when I was back on the overview page it said I had 3.3 gigs free. I overlooked it then...but that is just more evidence that it was this.

Seriously...I never experienced anything like this. I am not technically challenged either.

Ahhhhhhh......sooooo pissed. I have a backup of the entire SD card but it is about 2 months old. 9/25/10

I did get a SMS while syncing. Even more annoying....like the Fing devil.....sorry everyone I am just soooo pissed.

Just went and restored all the files from the two folders I know got corrupted and now I am back to free space of 2.92...and I have about 2.82 or 2.80 free before. Still missing 100MB....but that's not the end of the world. It looks like I just lost pics. What sucks is that they are all pics of my kids. Probably the ones taken between now and 9/25. But i didn't lose any from today.

I as well was messing aroound with the media sync features and now I have LOST ALL MY PICS (like 500 +) OF SON!!! WTF!!

Anyone have any idea if I can recover any of these files?

Upvote 0
Well, I've been using it, version 3.0.5481, for a few weeks now, and it works for the stuff I sync, which is only calendar and documents. However, you can't tell it where to sync the documents to. It sticks them under emmc/My documents/Documents/<path to the location of the original file>, and you can't change it. Also, it only seems to sync from PC to phone, not phone to PC, so any changes to a doc you make on the phone are NOT synced back to the original document.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones