• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc sync can't find my phone

I was having this problem too, fixed it last night.

Exit HTC sync, unplug your phone and bring up task manager on your PC. Look for a process called 'adb' and kill it.

Restart HTC sync and plug your phone back in. It should connect.

If not, uninstall HTC sync and install the version that came with your SD card. Follow the same steps.

Upvote 0
uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, tried 3 different versions of htc sync, could not find adb in the list of running processes, thought it wasn't installed, downloaded adb for the g1 that some other desire user tried, that didn't work either...

is this a windows 7 thing?

i bought my phone in China. whoever smuggled it in pocketed the sd card. i had no choice but to download.

how big was the sd card anyways? was there anything other than htc sync on it?

Upvote 0
Thanks nx1977. Could you please give me a little more detail? Do you mean the adb driver I downloaded from the G1 package (there were a lot of files in there)? There is an HTC drivers file in my program files. Do you mean that?

Do I put them in the root of the system32 or in a file together?

Upvote 0
Yep. Here's what happens. I plug in the phone. I select 'HTC sync. The phone says 'connecting...finding HTC Sync on your PC. Please wait...'

it goes for a long time...

Then I get a message that says 'Next step... unable to find HTC sync on your PC. Please make sure that HTC sync is installed etc...'

meanwhile, HTC sync is on the PC saying 'disconnected' in the lower right hand corner of the window. when i select 'tools' > 'phone monitor options' it opens another window with no phones listed and the window frame flashes a few times.

When I open the task manager, I don't see adb anywhere. I don't see any process that i can recognize as being obviously HTC or phone-related.

Upvote 0
Yep. Here's what happens. I plug in the phone. I select 'HTC sync. The phone says 'connecting...finding HTC Sync on your PC. Please wait...'

it goes for a long time...

Then I get a message that says 'Next step... unable to find HTC sync on your PC. Please make sure that HTC sync is installed etc...'

meanwhile, HTC sync is on the PC saying 'disconnected' in the lower right hand corner of the window. when i select 'tools' > 'phone monitor options' it opens another window with no phones listed and the window frame flashes a few times.

When I open the task manager, I don't see adb anywhere. I don't see any process that i can recognize as being obviously HTC or phone-related.

Upvote 0
Could this be a fire-wall issue? I remember, back in the day, I had to give zone-alarm or whatever fire-wall program I was using, "permission" to let Active-Sync (Windows Mobile Phone Sync) connect. Otherwise, the program on the computer wouldn't even show the phone. Once, I added it... or turned it off, it let me connect without issues. Might try that... not sure if you have a Firewall, or even if HTC Sync needs firewall permission... worth a try though

Upvote 0
Did you check your antivirus or firewall? Make sure that HTC is given allow access on any firewall or antivirus application, as this may restrict HTC sync. Also try the suggestion I made by uninstalling HTC sync from your computer and reinstall, and when reinstalling make sure you disable your anti-virus or firewall temporarily until the installation is completed.

To answer the question in your original post, please keep usb debugging checked, do not uncheck. Like Pyro suggested (which I see you have done) make sure you have the latest HTC Sync install file. After reinstalling, try rebooting your system (always worth a shot).

Also make sure the USB port is clean, try to connect to other USB ports if possible

Upvote 0
I emailed HTC and got a response a day later. it worked perfectly. here is the message:

Thank you for contacting us it is truly appreciated.

In regards to your problem, we can certainly help you with that.

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. You may have a background program conflicting with the installation. We can disable all background programs and then start the installation again from scratch to do this:

1. Save any work
2. Uninstall HTC Sync
3. Start>Run>msconfig (Or windows key+r for run)
4. Services Tab, tick hide all microsoft programs (at the bottom of the msconfig window tick it)
(This is very important to click on hide all microsoft services first or computer issues can occur - be sure to tick this box)
5. Now once that is ticked, click on disable all (MS services are hidden as you ticked the box so they will not be disabled now)
6. Startup Tab, click on disable all
7. Close/OK then restart
8. The PC will restart with only essential MS programs running
9. Click on do not show this again
10. Install HTC Sync
11. Plug in your PDA

Is it working now?

If it does not see the below steps:

On our device browse to Settings > Applications > Development and then tick the option to enable USB Debugging. Now re-connect our device to your PC via the supplied USB cable.

Is it working now?

If it does not, or if it does, we still need to re-enable all of your background programs that you have installed on your PC to run in the background.

1. Start>Run>msconfig
2. Services Tab, click on enable all
3. Startup Tab, click on enable all (leave any unticked that you do not want that may be slowing your PC down - this is up to you)
4. Ok/Close restart
5. The PC will restart back as normal

Now go into Sync Manager> Tools>Repair

Is it working now?

Please let us know how you get on and we will assist you further if and when required as a matter of urgency.

We trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if and when required as a matter of urgency.

Thank you for contacting HTC.

Best regards,

Mat B.

HTC

Upvote 0
Win7 32 Bit | HTC Sync 2.0.33

I have the same problem and I've been trying to fix it for days. Very rarely I do manage to connect but the connection always drops again before I have time to start a sync. Weird eh?

Anyway, here's my results from the HTC advice above:

1. Save any work
2. Uninstall HTC Sync
3. Start>Run>msconfig (Or windows key+r for run)
4. Services Tab, tick hide all microsoft programs (at the bottom of the msconfig window tick it)
(This is very important to click on hide all microsoft services first or computer issues can occur - be sure to tick this box)
5. Now once that is ticked, click on disable all (MS services are hidden as you ticked the box so they will not be disabled now)
6. Startup Tab, click on disable all
7. Close/OK then restart
8. The PC will restart with only essential MS programs running
9. Click on do not show this again
10. Install HTC Sync
11. Plug in your PDA

Is it working now?

--------------------------------------

For a moment yes. I connected the phone and the HTC Synch wizard started up. I ran through the set up process but by the time I had got to the last screen and I was about to click OK with the "sync now" box checked the connection had dropped.

I unplugged and replugged the phone in multiple times but it was never able to find HTC Sync again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it does not, or if it does, we still need to re-enable all of your background programs that you have installed on your PC to run in the background.

1. Start>Run>msconfig
2. Services Tab, click on enable all
3. Startup Tab, click on enable all (leave any unticked that you do not want that may be slowing your PC down - this is up to you)
4. Ok/Close restart
5. The PC will restart back as normal

Now go into Sync Manager> Tools>Repair

--------------------------------------

This is where it falls over for me - I cannot access Sync Manager on HTC Sync unless I have a connection. It's greyed out under the File menu and clicking the Sync Manager button on the HTC Sync screen does nothing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

nx1977

>Check under /windows/system32 that you have the files that are under /program files/HTC/drivers

I'm new to Win 7 32bit - but there is no /program files/ directory in C:/windows/system32 but the drivers seemed to install ok.

> Without the drivers installed in system32, it wont work. If they are there, then it is a firewall issue.

My firewall (Zonealarm) and windows firewall are turned disabled / off.

Getting desperate - need advice. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones