1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Sync on laptop not "seen" by DHD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ferrisb66, May 18, 2011.

1. Ferrisb66

Ferrisb66 Lurker

Prior to yesterday, my Desire HD was syncing with my Outlook (Calendar and Contacts) quite happily via a USB cable. Then yesterday I received a Systems Update to the phone, and since then I cannot sync:

Connecting the cable seems to do everything but this: i.e. the "connected" symbol comes up on the status bar on the phone, I can "mount" the phone so that it appears as a "drive" on the laptop, and it charges the battery. But - although I have HTC Sync on the laptop and open it, then go to activate "sync" on the mobile, it chugs away for a minute or so "looking" for Sync, then gives me an error message saying "Cannot find HTC Sync on your PC" etc.

I have de-installed and re-installed HTC Sync direct from the HTC website but to no avail - the problem persists.

Is anyone else suddenly having this problem, and/or can someone suggest a solution? There are numerous references to this issue across the net - not necessarily related to a system update etc. - but I can't seem to find any solutions suggested that actually work.... HELP!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

There's a 3rd Party app called Myphoneexlporer which is apparently better at doing HTC Syncs job, than HTC Sync.

There are a number of problems with HTC Sync apparently, no real solution has been found.

3. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Have you tried ensuring that HTC Sync is started before plugging the phone in?

Upgraded to Gingerbread a couple of days ago and MPE just worked like it always did. Gave up on HTC Sync after a few days of getting the phone.

(Running XP Pro SP3 with Outlook 2000 on the PC - old I know .... :eek: ).

Dave

4. Ferrisb66

Ferrisb66 Lurker

Many thanks for that - I have downloaded and have been able to sync with MyPhoneExplorer, so I do at least now have a "calendar" on my laptop that is sync'd with my phone. However, obviously this is now "in" the MPE application, and my calendar in Outlook will remain "un-sync'd" and so effectively useless even tho I will continue to use Outlook for my emails ec. on my laptop. Is there a way (I am accepting that I have not as yet trawled through the MPE guidance to see if this is the case....) to sync the MPE calendar with my Outlook...?

5. Ferrisb66

Ferrisb66 Lurker

I have now been through the MyPhoneExplorer stuff and yes there IS a way to have the phone, MPE AND Outlook to all sync, which is now working.... Many thanks for the tip; it is a bit of a "workaround" but at least it DOES work!

Just a shame that HTC couldn't get Sync to just "work" in the first place.....

6. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

MPE compares the data in Outlook with the phone to sync them. The display in the MPE PC client is a 'reflection' of what is on the phone, nothing more, from my understanding. Go into MPE/File/Settings/Sync to change what is synced with what.

Dave

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews