• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sync Ver 3 & HTC Desire

I am having multiple issues with Sync 3 to my HTC Desire.

I have a large contacts database and require a phone that efficiently syncronises Outlook to it without randomly changing/deleting/duplicating records. Sync settings set to 'Conflict - PC overwites'. Please dont reply with the nonsense of sync via Gmail: I dont know what HTC/Andriod were thinking. Just another thing that can go wrong...

I travel a lot so I am often changing time zones. I keep my PC time zone and the phone constant and adjust the clock only.

Current issues with HTC Sync v3:
1. New contact on my phone doesnt appear in Outlook
2. Sync is compressing phone numbers into Outlook so a number like +65 (12) 3456 becomes +65(12)3456 and Outlook looses country code, area code
3. Reverts to 'old data'. I edited about 1,200 of my 6,000 contacts. Syn went okay. The NEXT day, Sync decided to revert all the Outlook records to the pre-edit format. Luckily I use CardScan as a backup and the sync function there detected the change and there is a function to overwrite Outlook.
4. v3 does not have the sync log so you have NOT IDEA what it has done.
5. Renamed contacts to show their Gmail or Hotmail details without requesting (probably phone issue not Sync)
6. Tasks not in this release but pictures and music....?
7. Birthdays in Calendar duplicated and both records disconected from the contact's name card. Havent got around to MANUALLY re-input 1,000+ records
8. Still can not sync my Outlook emails - I would settle for just my inbox whereas under WM I could sync subfolders.
9. 'Display as' email address in Outlook being editied. For example 'Frank Blogs (fbloggs@gmail.com)' suddenly becomes fbloggs@gmail.com

Currently have disconnected 'People' on the Sync and intend to revert to v2. Only Calendar operating. Will have to 'clear data' on the phone to avoid duplicates (that is what happened when I installed v3 and removed v2 as 'recommended by HTC'). Have to make a daily backup of everything which is tiresome.

Anyone else having issues like this and can point to some tips?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Syncing contacts and calendar data between phone and PC should be one of the most fundamental tasks for a smart phone. There are more than a few people around the world using MS Outlook, and I imagine many would be like me and don't want to use Google to store contact data.

It really shouldn't be this hard. I've just spent 2 hours deleting duplicate contact and calendar data from my HTC Desire. The new HTC Sync version added music syncing which I found worked as expected, but I still can't reliably sync with Outlook.

After deleting all my contact info from the phone and cleaning up my Outlook contacts so I could attempt to resync, I was told not enough memory to sync (I have Copilot and Byki Spanish on my phone which use most of the memory). So I unplugged the phone, uninstalled/moved to SD card a few apps to free some memory, now it's saying Unable to find HTC sync on computer, even though it's running right there in front of me.

Edit: Rebooting phone and PC fixed the connection problem, but now it won't bring in any contact info. It created new groups based on my Outlook categories, but it isn't putting any contact info in them. This is really frustrating, it was working ok apart from the duplicates, now it's not working at all. There is no apparent reason for the change.

It's a great phone, but if it can't sync with Outlook it has a major problem as a business phone. I can't recommend this phone to anyone as it is.

Do HTC techs read this forum? You need to fix it!

Upvote 0
Uninstalled HTC sync from my computer, deleted all contact data from phone, reinstalled HTC sync (version 3.0.5481) and all syncs fine now.

Until next time it screws up, and I have to waste another morning fixing everything again..... at least next time I will know where to start.

If you are going to use HTC sync and your Outlook data is valuable, I highly recommend some form of daily backup, as deleting all the duplicates is very time consuming.

Upvote 0
Hi,

till now i was using Sync ver 2 along with my HTC desire

after unnstaling and installing Ver 3, my computer and phone refuse to connect - just get the message on the phone saying 'Unable able to find HTC sync on your PC'

is any one aware of the solution to this issue

thanks in advance

shailesh

Yes, I had a similar problem, tried everything rational from various forums to try to overcome it, but the solution that actually got USB working again was
'Remove the battery and replace".
Power cycling the board unblocked whatever was causing the "phone's sync port to be unrecognised by the PC".

If course, for it to work you still have to have done everything else right:
1. Latest Version of HTC Sync downloaded to PC: unsinstall old, install new.
2. On HD, Enable the setting that turns on debugging mode for USB connection.
3. Enable the setting that connects USB via HTC Sync by default, rather thas as an external drive or as a tethered USB etc. OR check the box that says ASK every time.
4. Run HTC Sync on PC
5. Connect cable, HD should pop a box up and you're away.

Upvote 0
The HTC Sync V2 and V3 applications are dreadful, especially the V3 one. I chose the HTC Desire because I 1) didn't want Apple s/w trying to take my world over and 2) because some of the former Compaq iPAQ people are in HTC and the iPAQs used to have a decent sync mechanism, so I assumed that HTC would have as well - how wrong that turned out to be!

I ended up wiping out all contacts and calendar data in the phone (applications > specific application > delete data), tidying up my Outlook Contacts and Calendar to remove all duplicates and so on (largely created by HTC's Sync program), then using MyPhoneExplorer to load a complete set into the phone.

MyPhoneExplorer seems like an excellent piece of software with a decent user interface. The only minor complication was getting the ADB drivers to load, which turned out to be a case of installing HTC Sync (which also installs HTC ADB drivers), then uninstalling the HTC Sync application and leaving the HTC Driver Installer behind.

From there on MyPhoneExplorer works nicely with the USB cable connection. I haven't yet managed to get the WiFi connection to work, but my systems are pretty extensively locked down.

Just to add to the fun, I have both a desktop PC and a laptop PC, both running Windows XP Pro. I keep my Outlook 2007 database (the PST file), plus all work documents in a 6GB encrypted container file (using Truecrypt), modify the "my documents" pointer to point to the right place in the directory tree in the container, then just dismount the container and copy it from desktop to laptop (or vice versa). It's a simple and effective way to have both desktop and laptop in sync.

Because the data on desktop & laptop are identical, MyPhoneExplorer has consistent data to work with, so it keeps the phone consistent.

The phone also syncs with the car kit (VW bluetooth touch) and now (at long last) I have consistent contacts in Outlook the phone and the car kit.

Upvote 0
As a sync I think its useless. Just won't sync my music. Keeps telling me that I don't have space, even if its only 10 songs and I have 2gb free.

I keep having a similar problem regarding half of various albums just not showing up on my music player. I'm using PowerAMP (just bought the full version) and although i love the app and hate the HTC Desire standard music player i really need to fix this issue... Any ideas??

Upvote 0
As a sync I think its useless. Just won't sync my music. Keeps telling me that I don't have space, even if its only 10 songs and I have 2gb free.

I have exactly the same problem - my HTC Desire Z syncs just a random segment of my music, changes or truncates the name of the artist randomly and only syncs a small portion, despite having a 32GB SD card with 29GB of free space. Surely someone at HTC has had the intelligence to find a way to stop this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones