• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Tattoo problems/issues

tatutu

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Hey phandroid phans,
I just got a tattoo this week and have had a few problems, and thought I would post what I have seen so that other tattoo users can either add to the list, or respond with solutions or workarounds they have found.
1) many apps from previous android phones are not available (presumably this is because they are "incompatible with the smaller screen resolution, but I suspect that many of them are just incorrectly tagged for 1.5 sdk or earlier, but would likely still work with donut-1.6) but could easily be made available with a tiny bit of tweaking.
2) the HTC Mail widget can't be removed (or moved) from the second screen to the left on the Sense interface. Why even bother with this one over the gmail?)
3) speaking of Gmail - somehow it only accesses the messages which are actually to my gmail address, and not to other addresses which are forwarded to my gmail (and are always in my gmail inbox) do I need to install google gears to get this working (which is not, as I found out quickly "gears for android" as listed in the marketplace) as it does on my laptop?
4) All of this is would be easily solved if someone has just figured out to root this thing... I started along the hero donut instructions I had seen at unlockr, pressing the down volume rocker while turning it on, and it showed the HBOOT screen:
HBOOT-0.52.0001 (CLIC10000)
etc...
I realized this wasn't the same so I didn't want to mess anything up or become the first casualty... (though I did enjoy the android on a skateboard graphic at the bottom)
I came very close to trying the reset button, but wasn't sure that would do anything more than remove the few apps I was able to install

please add your comments, suggestions, etc... this really is a great phone, and the first android phone that was affordable for me (not to mention that Vodafone were the first to give me a contract without 3 years of UK address history).
what is your take?

Hey phandroid phans,
I just got a tattoo this week and have had a few problems, and thought I would post what I have seen so that other tattoo users can either add to the list, or respond with solutions or workarounds they have found.
1) many apps from previous android phones are not available (presumably this is because they are "incompatible with the smaller screen resolution, but I suspect that many of them are just incorrectly tagged for 1.5 sdk or earlier, but would likely still work with donut-1.6) but could easily be made available with a tiny bit of tweaking.
2) the HTC Mail widget can't be removed (or moved) from the second screen to the left on the Sense interface. Why even bother with this one over the gmail?)
3) speaking of Gmail - somehow it only accesses the messages which are actually to my gmail address, and not to other addresses which are forwarded to my gmail (and are always in my gmail inbox) do I need to install google gears to get this working (which is not, as I found out quickly "gears for android" as listed in the marketplace) as it does on my laptop?
4) All of this is would be easily solved if someone has just figured out to root this thing... I started along the hero donut instructions I had seen at unlockr, pressing the down volume rocker while turning it on, and it showed the HBOOT screen:
HBOOT-0.52.0001 (CLIC10000)
etc...
I realized this wasn't the same so I didn't want to mess anything up or become the first casualty... (though I did enjoy the android on a skateboard graphic at the bottom)
I came very close to trying the reset button, but wasn't sure that would do anything more than remove the few apps I was able to install

please add your comments, suggestions, etc... this really is a great phone, and the first android phone that was affordable for me (not to mention that Vodafone were the first to give me a contract without 3 years of UK address history).
what is your take?

Hi & welcome from another new Tattoo owner. I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Apps aren't available in the marketplace as the authors haven't signed them as working correctly with the QVGA screen. The apps might work but you'll have to install from local .apk file to find out.

2. Don't think so - I have removed the default email widget and use K-9 mail instead to collect my POP3 mail. Might sound a bit daft but are you sure you pressing & holding the widget properly ?

3. Don't know about this one - I have several email addresses pointing to my POP3 mail and I can picjk up all those messages. It may be that GMail sync happens before the email is actually in your Gmail account.....you'll need to do some further reading.

4. My first thought was 'how do I root this' but as I can install applications from HTC Sync and there isn't a 'better' ROM available, I don't need root at the minute. Perhaps if I start playing about with apps more then root might be needed.

Regards

Maxi

Upvote 0
Hi all!

I've got a serious problem with installing apps on my HT Tattoo. Everytime I try (be it just something as simple as AK notepad) the phone starts to restart itself like 5 times a day! ^^

I don't know if this is culumative, but I really don't dare to push it. The only app I've managed to get working so var is gtasks.

Any ideas on how to fix this? =(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones