1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC text message timestamp problem

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jeannebean999, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jeannebean999

jeannebean999 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Good evening new to the forum, is this an a forum where i can ask questions about my HTC android phone?

Advertisement

2. jeannebean999

jeannebean999 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    wondering what i am seeing when i get a text messaage that has a time that is not when it was sent? ie, got message at 6pm but time logged as i received was 1120 pm whats up? is this a copy and replay, kind link a quick text as in blackberry?

3. jeannebean999

jeannebean999 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    can anyone please enlighten me to why i sometimes see a receive time that is different to the actual time i receive the message? is it a cut and paste issue or a resend to another issue, cant quite understand why i see a wrong time for when i am receiving a new message....
    your feedback would be appreciated............thank you

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Could be the time is either using the network time (time as registered by your provider) or time zone time.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Welcome to the forums!

That's a common bug in many Android built-in messaging apps, and is especially known on HTC.

Basically, without getting too technical, SMS messages have two timestamps by design - the app should be displaying the local time timestamp but grabs the other one instead.

It's not worth hassling, honestly. Best advice I can give - use a better 3rd party SMS app, free from the Android Market. Those apps exist to solve that bug and to offer more features over the stock texting app anyway.

Personally, I prefer the Handcent app - does more than stock and no timestamp bug. Others prefer equally good 3rd party alternatives.

Most of us would expect them to fix this bug long along - it's part of the common Android code and it's not like some mystery what's wrong. But still, getting a better app is easier and less worry.

Hope this helps!

6. thedosbox

thedosbox Guest
    None
  7. Calomax

Calomax Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 5, 2012
    Retired
    Guernsey
    I never realised this was a common problem, I get texts that say they were sent 10 hours ago from one carrier and 45 minutes later from another, and correct from my own.

Sadly Handcent doesn't fix it and SMS Time Fix only works if I set it to use the phone time, which doesn't necessarily tell me when it was sent, eg when the phone was turned off.

8. iamguyanese

iamguyanese Lurker
    None

Jul 10, 2012
    anyone know how to use time fix then?