1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support htc think it might be bricked?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tracykent, Jan 3, 2012.

1. tracykent

tracykent Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    :thinking:

hi my friend updated her apps and it froze on the last one -- angry birds surprise surprise it seems quite a few people's did.

but now her phone will switch on but only to the white start up screen.

im trying to help her sort it but i have no idea about these phones and by reading up on it i think it might be bricked. (but im not to sure) is there anyway this can be fixed or in simple terms can someone explain to me what i have to do to get it up and running again?

thanks, tracy

Advertisement

2. BradJJ

BradJJ Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    Had exactly the same problem occur to my desire S!

Left mine charging and updating a load of apps. Then when i went to check if it had finished updating and i couldn't do anything. It was as good as dead, couldn't get the screen to come on, no charging notification light, nothing. I decided to take the battery out for a reset. After replacing the battery my phone turned on but was stuck booting and it seemed to randomly reload the "HTC, silently brilliant" white screen.

Loading into hboot bootloader i tried to select recovery, but, this brought up a black screen with a picture of a phone and green arrows in a circle then a red exclamation mark in a red triangle where it froze. Then i decided to reset to factory settings via the hboot bootloader. I have reset factory settings before via the main menu to reconfigure the accounts and had no problem in the phone returning to how it was before after resyncing contacts and after it had finished redownloading the apps that were on it before without manually having to go through the marketplace going by memory.
    For some reason this time after the factory reset, certain apps which are shipped with the phone such as the camera and mirror applications are no where to be seen in the menu.

The camera can't be accessed via the gallery either.

All my photos are accessible from the sd card, but all the applications i had saved to the sd card just don't show up on the phone for some reason. This is pretty annoying as i can't remember all the apps i had on there, plus they are on there taking up space just not usable. I reset the phone to factory settings without the sd card in there if that makes a difference.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated, not having use of the camera is my main concern, although the loss of apps is very annoying when i thought the htc marketplace was supposed to remember all the apps you've downloaded and redownload updates...

Thanks a lot

BradJJ

3. FoX777

FoX777 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    @BradJJ

Can you run this command; "fastboot getvar all" and post its info (you will need to set up fastboot how to at the bottom)

Fastboot/adb Setup
    -Extract the attached file to "c:\" so that the path looks like this C:\android-tools
    -Install HTCDriver (Fastboot drivers) (should already be installed from revolutionary ) but here's the link again
    -Open cmd and type "cd/"
    -then type "cd android-tools"

*To test whether you have set up all the files correctly and your phone is connected correctly you can do the following;
    *In cmd type "adb" and press enter, it should show a list of commands, then type "fastboot"and press enter, it should also show a list of commands)
    *If both these commands work you have extracted the files to the right place and have setup cmd right.

-start fastboot (boot Hboot, plug phone in "HBoot USB plug" shows once phone is plugged in and press the power button (fastboot is highlighted by default) then it says "Fastboot USB")
    *(As a test to ensure you have put your phone into fastboot type "fastboot devices" in cmd, it will show your phones serial, if it shows nothing you have not put your phone into fastboot yet)

Attached Files:

BradJJ likes this.
  4. BradJJ

BradJJ Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    C:\android-tools>fastboot getvar all
    < waiting for device >
    INFOversion: 0.5
    INFOversion-bootloader: 6.98.1002
    INFOversion-baseband: 3805.06.02.03_M
    INFOversion-cpld: None
    INFOversion-microp: None
    INFOversion-main: 1.47.401.4
    INFOserialno: SH16RTJ00341
    INFOimei: 356708045426648
    INFOproduct: saga
    INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
    INFOmodelid: PG8810000
    INFOcidnum: HTC__001
    INFObattery-status: good
    INFObattery-voltage: 4214mV
    INFOpartition-layout: Generic
    INFOsecurity: off
    INFObuild-mode: SHIP
    INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
    INFOcommitno-bootloader: 361a7ba6
    INFOhbootpreupdate: 12
    INFOgencheckpt: 0
    all: Done!
    finished. total time: 0.019s

I may have run revolutionary and hit yes to installing clockworkmod and recovery... is it okay to leave it like that with s-off or would you recommend reflashing with the correct service providers abd? (sorry if ive misunderstood anything there, just spent the past couple of days reading through the faqs and guides)

thanks for the help, much appreciated

5. FoX777

FoX777 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 20, 2011
    @BradJJ

So is clockworkmod working?

Since the factory reset didn't work, you have two options;

1) Since you are s-off (revolutionary) then you can try a custom ROM or a stock pre rooted ROM, so that's something to consider.

2) Flash either RUU 1.47.401.4 (sense 2.1/hboot 0.98.0002) or 2.10.401.8 (sense 3/hboot 2.00.0002)
    Where 1.47.401.4 is better if you want to s-off/root/custom ROMs (petty must option 1) and the other is best if you want stock and the latest.

BradJJ likes this.
  6. BradJJ

BradJJ Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2012
    clockworkmod downloaded and installed successfully and the phone seems to be fine. its still missing some applications the phone ships with as before, like the standard camera app and mirror and your orange and more i can't remember.

im not really too sure where it might benefit me having it rooted with a custom rom yet, and i'd like the new sense 3 just because im assuming its better than sense 2.1 lol i'll have a little look around and decide whether to keep it s-off/rooted/custom rom, if i decide not i'll look into flashing the RUU.

and i did a factory reset but only 7 apps got restored and apps were missing, even though most were on the sd card and still are. my contacts have restored and all my photos and videos are still viewable much to my confusion.

thanks

Tags: