1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Thunderbolt and removing spyware - PLS HELP!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ohjeez10, Apr 25, 2011.

1. ohjeez10

ohjeez10 Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2011
    My husband installed a spyware on my phone. I'm not sure if this is something he purchased from the Android Market or off the web such as Mobistealth Prox-X for Android. Anyways... he read off a bunch of text messages I sent from my phone today to a friend I'm "forbidden" to talk to. The messages were sent from TEXTPlus application... I immediately called Verizon and they walked me through the hard reset.

My concern is that with this new phone, as soon as I log back into my Google account, all my previous apps automatically reinstall on the phone. I'm concerned that if it was an app, it's been reinstalled.

Any advice?

I have set my phone to automatically lock... I didn't think I had a need to but I guess I was wrong.

Advertisement

2. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Highly doubtful it was a market application and therefore will not reinstall. As far as I know, Google has really cramped down on apps they deem malicious which I'm sure they would have deemed one such as this.

3. ohjeez10

ohjeez10 Lurker
    None

Apr 25, 2011

I think you are correct that it's not a Market App. It appears he also hijacked my Google and SBC accounts as well. Thanks for the "professional" response.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    All, please remember that the purpose of the thread is to resolve the problem and not judge the user's relationship. If she wanted relationship advice, I'm sure she'll make another thread. :)

OP - Try hitting Menu/Settings/Apps/Manage Apps. If it's an app (market or not) it will show up there. Go through what's there and if something looks suspicious, let us know so we can tell you if it's normal.

Also, if I may, consider putting a pattern lock on your phone AND changing your passwords to ensure the app (assuming it's an app) doesn't get the opportunity to be installed again.

ardchoille likes this.