1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General HTC Thunderbolt or...???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brucipher, Feb 11, 2011.

1. brucipher

brucipher Newbie

Hello forum people! I am new to this forum and am seeking some advice.

I am currently due for an upgrade and am torn about what to do. I've been doing my research, and the Thunderbolt is very appealing, but I wonder if I should wait for one of the dual core processor phones.

I currently have a Palm Pre Plus. I love WebOS, but HP/Palm's decision to NOT update the older phones to WebOS 2.0 after months of saying they would has pushed me to jump ship. This will be my 1st Android phone, so it is a big decision (and I will be locked into the phone for 20 months with Verizon).

I am anxious and ready to be rid of my Palm Pre Plus, but do I dive in with the Thunderbolt, or wait for something else??? Will I be happy with the Thunderbolt for 20 months?

(as a side note, I am NOT in a 4G area, do not do much gaming on my phone, and do not foresee watching many HD videos on the phone)

THANKS!

Advertisement

2. holycow72

holycow72 Lurker

I'm in the same boat, except that I do live in a 4G area...

I'm torn between staying w/ ATT for an Atrix or Inspire...

or jump ship to Verizon for the Thunderbolt....

3. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

The Thunderbolt in benchmark testing has at times beaten the Droid Bionic (the first dual-core 4G)

If you're not gaming/HD video, then the TB is way more speed/power than you'd ever need anyway.

4. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast

I'm in the exact same boat as all of you. I have a Palm Pre Plus through Verizon. I'm due for a Verizon upgrade right now and I'll be completely off-contract on March 5th. I love WebOS. But my Palm has been a bit buggy - it stops accepting calls on its own almost on a daily basis. It'll keep doing so until I reboot the Palm. I'm not sure if this is a Palm issue or a Verizon issue since Verizon cannot do data and voice at the same time.

I too am trying to decide between staying with Verizon and getting a 1 year contract for $70 extra on a Thunderbolt or an iPhone... or jumping to a 2-year contract on AT&T for an Atrix. Right now I'm leaning towards a 1 year contract at Verizon.

What about you?

5. aodmisery

aodmisery Well-Known Member

the problem with dual core is that since its the first of its kind nothing is really made to be able to use the dual core. and by the time programs and games are made to function on a dual core we might be seeing a new version of dual core so the bionic will be obsolete. i would wait for dual core phones a year or two for software to catch up to the hardware.

6. brucipher

brucipher Newbie

Well, I am sticking with Verizon. Their service has always done well by me, and I have a LOT of friends and family on Verizon, so my number of minutes is rarely ever an issue. I reserved a Bolt from Best Buy (since I don't have to commit to it), but I kind of wish they offered a 1 year contract but they do not. BB at least has the buy back program now, or in a year I could potentially sell the Bolt online and buy a different phone retail. I still feel kind of torn about what to do.

My Palm Pre Plus keyboard has always been kind of whacky, and often misses key strokes. That drives me crazy. I think WebOS is great, but I am unimpressed by the Pre3. Maybe next go-round I will reconsider a WebOS phone depending what is out there.

I still can't decide. Go Bolt or wait for the dual core phones to arrive...arg!

7. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast

You can't get the iphone with the 1 year contract, it's only with the 2 year. I'm not sure it's that's Apple's choice, or Verizon thinking the iphone buyers will buy it regardless. The TB well we'll see, but I'm thinking you should be able to do a 1 year with that.

8. upz33

upz33 Member

I think it's both their idea because of the soon to be released 5 at some point in the summer. Some people will be paying to get that when they already got the VZW iPhone 4 a few months ago.

My fear is they do a 2 year contract on the Thunderbolt.

9. Left Coast DJ

Left Coast DJ Android Enthusiast

I stand corrected. So according to my local Verizon corporate store, you're right, it can only be had on a 2-year contract. So that leaves me out!

10. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

i called vzw a few days ago asking if i would be able to do a one year on the thunderbolt. i am one year in on a two year contract. they said that i could with my primary line.

take it for what its worth.