Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gobluejd, Jan 4, 2011.
LOL- I just wanted to end the argument and discussed here.
So no all of a sudden no one wants to discuss.
Well, Rush mentioned Flash performance. Now, this was in relation to a tablet. Would you expect to see that big of an improvement in flash performance on a smartphone with a dual core?
My thoughts are that it would be more dependent on the graphics processor. But my experience/knowledge in that area is limited.
i would tend to aggree with NKT and Gobluej. If it operates fine with current processors than great, i would still be very tempted to purchase if it was released NOW. Tech junkie for me is an understatement, it is my life, what i do for a living. That is the part of me that looks at the current marketing of "its not your dream phone, its the phone after that". if they would care to take a look around, that phone would be dual core period. if it is not shipping until end of first quarter or sometime in second quarter, that is a fail. It will be literally a couple of months later that serious dual core phones are released. why would i knowingly buy a single? not to mention the cost of said phones with annual VZW discount will all be within $50 of each other. Have you guys used a dual core device? I have read many comments of users with tegra2 devices that have felt the same way as rushmore on previous thread. anyway, my opinion is i am torn between getting the HTC device with already outdated processor or moto or lg with cutting edge. i love htc sense, i have installed a dozen different roms and customized this and that but of everything ive used sense is still it for me. i am currently using the uber Z rom and the 2.5 is fantastic, cant wait to see it on a device like Tbolt cooked by HTC engineers. oh well i may never get to do so.
you probably have something there. wich is another reason for dual core, im not sure of the tegra, but i know the info i read on the qualcomm said it is allowing them to use a 300 series gpu instead of 100/200 series. they likened performance to PS3 or Xbox 360. i read this info on there site.
chip info and gpu info
Bottom line I think, dual core is ideal and would give the phone more lasting appeal.. I am sure they will put a more then adequate single core in the phone.. and I will be getting this phone regardless of what they put it in. But I also see myself looking to buy a new phone in 6-8 months since the techie in me likes to stay as far ahead as I can.
Its single, has to be. the phone has been in circulation for over 6 months i think. I mean they might have gutted the thing and switched to dual core but i doubt it. That is fine for me really too. I want dual core also but if this is announced and released within the next 2 weeks or whatever then thats fine. I like HTC alot and i am guessing they are not going to have dual core for 5-6 months. So if i want to have a new HTC device i have to wait for dual core or get this single core fantastic phone. Not really a loss IMO at all. I dont have LTE yet anyway lol
Whats there to discuss??? Since there is no solid info kind of hard to discuss. Waste of a thread
Well I would assume that based on the posts above yours there is something to discuss. If not the thread will die.
Personally, I think there's a 1% chance it will have anything other than a Qualcomm chip in it (Tegra 2), 75% chance it will be the MSM8655 (similar to the MSM8255 in the Desire HD), and maybe 24% chance of dual core (MSM8660). I'll be surprised if it isn't the MSM8655.
Although, I don't understand why HTC is hyping this phone up so much, and saying things like "it's not your dream phone, it's the one after that" if it's basically a restyled Desire HD with some added features and improvements but on Verizon with LTE. I'm pretty sure the phone after my dream phone isn't a phone that's basically already on the market, maybe it's just me.
I am really hoping all this hype is pointing to more advanced hardware (MSM8660, 1.2 GHz dual core 3rd gen Snapdragon). Way back in June it was reported that Qualcomm was shipping MSM8620 and MSM8660 chips to HTC, and the first reports of the "Incredible HD" didn't start showing up until late August. I don't know if this is enough time to get a couple of test units put together, but a full two months seems to me like it should be sufficient. Although the MSM8660 wasn't expected to be in phones and on the market until Q1 2011, and the "Incredible HD" was supposedly going to be launched in late November and was delayed in order to add LTE support, so I don't know how well this all fits.
In the end though, my Incredible is pretty snappy and the only thing it's lacking is a decent GPU, if the Thunderbolt has the MSM8655 I'll be happy. Dual core or not it will be my next phone. When I bought my Incredible I wasn't expecting to like HTC Sense as much as I do, and now I feel like I prefer Sense to stock android. I'm not sure I'd be able to tolerate any other manufacturer's skins, and right now it looks like LG, Motorola, and Samsung's LTE phones are going to be skinned.
Kitten Mittens not only has a cool forum name, but good percent spread on likely hardware Since all OEMS have stated 1.2ghz is late 2011 and the current dual is 1ghz, something's gotta' give. My guess is single core, but hope it is the Tegra 2. You all respectfully should too.
If some folks here have seen my posts in the past, I am a cynical and pessimistic SOB. I have no allegiance to any electronics, but the Tegra 2 has sold me, since did not expect such profound performance over Droid 2 1.2ghz, Droid X, Incredible and Galaxy S (Yes, I have tried them all- perhaps obsessively so....)
1. Flash is darn good (for a passively cooled device)
2. Ditto for PSX (Using version 1.5- new V2 is getting better, but 1.5 is still fastest, but sound not as good).
3. Battery life
4. Sound quality is as good as my Gmini 402 (sound quality legend)
Tegra 2 absolutely spanks the chipsets on those devices. I thought dual core was a marketing gimmick and all they were doing was dedicating a core for GPU and the other for operations. I was very wrong.
My gTablet has a custom kernel and TnT Lite 3.14. The firmware uses the Nvidia drivers well and Quadrant scores range from 2300 to 2500.
I expected Tegra 2 to either underperform to conserve battery, or perform well and drain a battery quickly. Wrong as can be on both counts.
Folks, there is a reason Android development is using Tegra 2 for reference work standards and even Samsung are adopting Tegra 2 for the Tab 2. Factor in the chipset will gain maturity while newer chipsets get launched.
Tegra 2 will be in my next device- or a similar performing dual-core, later this year. Depends on what VZW has
Aren't the LG's coming with Tegra's? That may be your option on VZW...
Assuming a 4" display or better- an LG it may be then
HTC phones are at the top of my list. I am true believer in Sense. But I can tell you this much my next phone will be dual core. Period.
The 2X is confirmed for VZW?
I hope it comes to verizon
Nothing I've seen yet. But some version of the 2X is coming. Count on it...
single core=fail especially with the new phones being announced. This phone is months to late
Little off-topic but just saw the phandroid post about what at&t announced at ces. Moto in first quarter with dual core and high res qhd display (?), sammy w/ 1.2 hummingbird and 4.5 samoled, and a htc with a 1ghz and slcd
Seems like HTC is slacking something fierce... hoping to hear that they got something better than that cooking for big V
Typical verizon release the phone months after when it should have been released. How could the Evo have been released months ago with nearly identical specs but this couldnt? yeah i know vzw didnt have lte then but it should have already been released this is old news now