• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC ThunderBolt starts shipping this week to Verizon

Anyone have Peter Chou's email address? I'm sure if he knew how all of this was affecting us he'd rework some dates. In the meantime, maybe we could relax by naming songs that capture the theme of the device? Thunder Island - Jay Ferguson - circa 1970's??? Good one. Lightning Strikes...both versions? Both good tunes.

On second thought...think I'll call Best Buy to see if their truck came in yet. :)

Upvote 0
If they get them this week do you really think they will hold on to them till next week? By They I mean VZW. We know BB is suspect to let the suckers loose.

I would be willing to bet that Best Buy had to enter into a contract with Verizon in order to sell/resell Verizon products and services. That being said, I highly doubt that the conversation was along the lines of, "We'll no longer allow you to sell Verizon in your stores." rather it would sound similar to, "We'll see you in court for breach of contract and a hefty fine will ensue."

If that were the road they would want to take.

Upvote 0
I have not been impressed with the communication from Best Buy or VZW on this product release. It's almost as if they don't know what's going on from day to day.

I contacted BB online chat and they told me they don't know the release date. I also made phone calls to local BB stores and different people tell me different things. Preorders still open, preorders no longer open, expect to get phone today (2/14), etc. I just don't understand why the confusion! :thinking:

I'm starting to sense there's technical issues holding things up.

Upvote 0
I have not been impressed with the communication from Best Buy or VZW on this product release. It's almost as if they don't know what's going on from day to day.

I contacted BB online chat and they told me they don't know the release date. I also made phone calls to local BB stores and different people tell me different things. Preorders still open, preorders no longer open, expect to get phone today (2/14), etc. I just don't understand why the confusion! :thinking:

I'm starting to sense there's technical issues holding things up.

Either technical issues, OR, VZW is getting gay over crApple....

Upvote 0
I don't think it has to do with technical issues... I think they were still working on some things, but I don't think there were huge issues. Remember the only "company" that ever came out with a release date was Best Buy. VZW and HTC have always said 1st Q 2011, which is anytime till the end of March.

All of the release dates that have come out have been pure speculation. Best Buy messed up IMHO by releasing a date. Remember back when the phone was announced there was a tweet by some insider that hinted at a release on St. Patricks day.

Then you have BlackmanX who has stated that the only reason they are trying to get this thing out in Feb. is because of the demand, however they are not going to release it unless it is ready. With the announcement by HTC that the phones are shipping this week I think it is pretty safe to say that we will see the phones by Feb. 24th if not earlier.

Upvote 0
There was a leaked document that said 14 Feb and all of the dummy phones had 14 Feb and I believe they were trying to release it on the 14th. But like you said, it was never publicly annouced so therefore it didn't happen. I was told there was an issue with Skype that held it up. We just saw the leak and then came Best Buy and Amazon don't forget that published the 14th.

Upvote 0
There was a leaked document that said 14 Feb and all of the dummy phones had 14 Feb and I believe they were trying to release it on the 14th. But like you said, it was never publicly annouced so therefore it didn't happen. I was told there was an issue with Skype that held it up. We just saw the leak and then cam Best Buy and Amazon don't forget that published the 14th.

I heard the Skype thing as well, and the 4G to 3G handoff, but again I don't think we can call it a delay. But yea I do think they were wanting to get it released on the 14th. I would rather have it work then released early :)

...and yea I forgot about Amazon.

Upvote 0
i think the phone has been ready. it's more likely that vzw has been appeasing apple by pushing the date. then someone probably shook some sense into them and reminded them of how successful android has been and will be going forward. it's in vzw's best interest to keep the android momentum going while also balancing the fruit relationship.

Upvote 0
Some are new here, and some may have forgot! But Vzw sat on the Incredible for weeks last year. There was nothing wrong with them, they were all ready to go! The problem was HTC, So what I am really hoping, and I say this with a grain of salt...Lets pray that Vzw is sitting on them until they get plenty in stock so the same thing that happen with the Incredible does not happen again! yea yea, I know the Incredibles had Amoled screens that were made by Samsung, and they were holding back...However, the EVO had an LCD screen, and Best Buy/Sprint didnt get more stock after the first batch for WEEKS...HTC has a history of not making enough devices for the high demand...Maybe vzw is playing it safe this time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones