1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Thunderbolt Teardown Reveals Highest Ever Highest Ever BOM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by willdogs, Jul 10, 2011.

1. willdogs

willdogs Android Enthusiast

Link:

HTC Thunderbolt Teardown Reveals Highest Ever Highest Ever Bill of Materials | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A teardown of the HTC Thunderbolt reveals one of the highest bill of materials (BOM) ever seen on a cell phone: $262.

Components for the popular 4G LTE smartphone cost $262, the highest seen in a smartphone disassembled by folks at IHS iSuppli Teardown Analysis Service. It is significantly higher than the $171.35 cost of Verizon iPhone elements and comparable to media tablets, IHS said in a post.

The most expensive element of the Thunderbolt was its 4G LTE wireless standard, which made up $39.75 of the tab. Most of this expense come from a first-generation LTE baseband chip, Qualcomm MDM9600.

Advertisement

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Well-Known Member

well i guess this makes the initial $250 sticker shock wear off a bit

3. Bomfy

Bomfy Well-Known Member

Forgive me for this stupid question.

So it costs basically $40 for the TB to be 4G correct? So if you leave out the 4G stuff it would still have cost more than an iPhone.

I wonder if there is a way to find out the quality of the parts used, so I can throw this in my buddies face who swears the TB costs about less than half what the far "superior" iPhone costs to make.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Android Enthusiast

Forgive me but what is the average BOM for a smartypants phone?

5. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Android Enthusiast

Best autocorrect error I've seen in a while! LOL!

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews