• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Thunderbolt Teardown Reveals Highest Ever Highest Ever BOM

willdogs

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
Link:

HTC Thunderbolt Teardown Reveals Highest Ever Highest Ever Bill of Materials | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A teardown of the HTC Thunderbolt reveals one of the highest bill of materials (BOM) ever seen on a cell phone: $262.

Components for the popular 4G LTE smartphone cost $262, the highest seen in a smartphone disassembled by folks at IHS iSuppli Teardown Analysis Service. It is significantly higher than the $171.35 cost of Verizon iPhone elements and comparable to media tablets, IHS said in a post.

The most expensive element of the Thunderbolt was its 4G LTE wireless standard, which made up $39.75 of the tab. Most of this expense come from a first-generation LTE baseband chip, Qualcomm MDM9600.

Forgive me for this stupid question.

So it costs basically $40 for the TB to be 4G correct? So if you leave out the 4G stuff it would still have cost more than an iPhone.

I wonder if there is a way to find out the quality of the parts used, so I can throw this in my buddies face who swears the TB costs about less than half what the far "superior" iPhone costs to make.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones