1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Thunderbolt vs. Kia Soul 2011 USB Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by svenb352, Mar 30, 2011.

1. svenb352

svenb352 Member

Hi all - question for you - Has anyone with a USB port in their vehicle got the Thunderbolt to work with it?

Whenever I plug the Thunderbolt into the USB port in my 2011 Kia Soul the dash reads "Reading USB" and then "Reading Error" shortly thereafter. I have tried to set it to the Mass Storage mode where it turns it into a USB drive and it still doesn't work. I am not sure what else to do to get this to work. I have used other Android phones in the past and they have all seemed to work but I am not sure if there is something blocking it now.

I have the music saved as MP3 files to a folder called "Music" on the SD card. Do the files have to be on the root of the card? I don't remember them being that way in the past.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. svenb352

svenb352 Member

3. svenb352

svenb352 Member

Good news! I searched a few other forums and found a posting about a guy with a Droid X on 2.2 having the same problem in his Kia Soul 2011. I read what he did, went to my car to try it, and voila, worked like a champ :D

Here is what you do:

1) Plug the USB cable into the HTC Thunderbolt.
    2) Turn off your head unit when it starts saying "Reading USB".
    3) Change from "Charge Only" to "Disk Drive" on the notification bar of the HTC Thunderbolt. Push done.
    4) Push the AUX button on the head unit (this is important - do not power on the unit - just press AUX).
    5) The unit will power itself on, go into Reading USB, and in about 5 seconds will load all of your music on the memory card to the head unit :) It worked perfectly and I tried it five times to make sure it wasn't a fluke lol :)

Hope this helps someone out there :)

Take care ^_^

4. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

Don't buy a Kia?

BaadAndy likes this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews