1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Thunderbolt vs Motorola Droid Bionic

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Uber Schwarz, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Uber Schwarz

Uber Schwarz Member

Which phone should I get? I can't really decide which one I like better. I currently have the Motorola Droid. I might get a Motorola Xoom this spring/summer.

Advertisement

2. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

What do you want to do with it? The Bionic will probably support some killer gaming with the Tegra 2 and it has hdmi out. It also has qHD resolution. One wonders, though, why LG yanked the Tegra 2 from the Revolution. Battery issues? Also, do you like Blur? The front facing camera is only VGA which is a head scratcher. The Thunderbolt will probably support Netflix streaming with the Qualcomm processor. No hdmi out which is a bummer. But it does have a higher res FFC. If you're into video calling, I think this will be important as it appears VoLTE will support high res video calls next year.

3. Uber Schwarz

Uber Schwarz Member

I plan on rooting and ROMing whatever device I get as soon as possible. My only real requirements are dual core processor, able to be rooted and ROMed, and have at least a 4 inch screen.

4. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 Android Enthusiast

1. Dual core: Only the Bionic has that out of this comparison
    2. TB might be rooted more easily considering Moto has virtually locked down all of it's bootloaders
    3. both phones have a 4.3" screen

Good luck on your choice!

5. Uber Schwarz

Uber Schwarz Member

I thought the snap dragon was dual core? If not then I guess I gotta find another set of phones to meet my requirements.

6. kyler13

kyler13 Android Expert

Bit of a dilemma for you... The Thunderbolt is single core, but will be a better device in terms of root and custom ROMs.

7. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

The TB is going to launch Feb 24th. The Bionic will also lauch soon. Wait until you can get a hands on with both phones. Both would be good choices.

8. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Android Expert

The bootloader only prevents putting on newer versions of android and newer kernals. You can still root and use custom ROMs. Slow OS updates might be an issue, but you probably won't need an overclock kernal given the power of the Tegra.

9. najaboy

najaboy Android Enthusiast

Three feathers in the cap of the Thunderbolt if these are things that matter to anyone...

1) SVDO
    2) Netflix (allegedly)
    3) The Thunderbolt should be OC'able to ~1.4GHz