1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC To Unveil Its First Quad-Core Smartphone On February 26

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Pochi_X, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Source: HTC to unveil its first quad-core smartphone on February 26? - GSMArena.com news

For real, Dual-Core and it's more than enough, I mean this phone is faster than my 1 year old laptop dammit, such an overkill when will technology slow down in progressing?

And they should focus more in supplying phones with better batteries.

Advertisement

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Are you saying that your phone is faster than your laptop because the Ghz number is bigger on your phone's processor?

Do you think after all the criticisms of battery life that manufacturers intentionally include subpar batteries?

SUroot likes this.
  3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    The same discussion happened 8 months to a year ago with dual core phones. Now dual core is the standard and the next jump is quad cores. It's just the natural progression of technology.

Personally, I don't see the need for a quad-core phone. But my opinion may change when I'm ready to upgrade. And I don't think any worse for manufacturers for making a quad core phone.

4. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes that's what I mean, no clue about the "actual" benchmark.

Subpar isn't practical, they should up the battery powers and slow down on adding more cores to the processor, they can speed up say single-core phones to 1.5-2 ghz and with different architecture, instead of multiplying cores each year.

As I said above, increase the potency of single core processors till it reach its maximum potential before jumping into multiplying cores in a processor.

5. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    It's actually more power efficient to have a 1.0 GHz dual core processor than a 2.0 GHz single core. When the second core isn't necessary, it can shut off the unneeded core. The same will be true for quad cores. If only 1 core is needed, the other 3 will shut off. But a single core processor can't ever fully sleep.

And they can't significantly increase Li-Ion battery voltage. It's a limitation of the Li-ion technology. To further increase capacity, you have to increase the amount of plates inside the cell, or increase the number of cells. Which is already available for a lot of phones (as external extended batteries). So, either someone needs to come with a breakthrough to revitalize the Li-ion technology, or some other storage medium needs to be developed. Neither are in the scope of handset manufacturers.

SUroot and Crashdamage like this.
  6. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    Wise words,

But what's coming after 4 cores, 8 cores?

Technology must stall a bit, otherwise it'll take over our "already" taken over lives.

And never knew that about batteries, I hope they come up with a solution with increasing battery life, maybe use a better technology than Li-ion batteries?

Manufacturers must balance specifications with how long can the phone power last while on i.e. batteries.

7. jamor

jamor Android Expert
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Planet Earth

My problem is similar in that we no longer have a choice in size if we want latest & greatest.

Instead everything is being pushed to once niche and I don't quite understand it.

i.e. Verizon's 3 major manufacturers all released an identical phone for the Q4 dual cores/LTEs.

I feel like if just one of them gave us a choice in size, a 4" for example, it would have sold like hot cakes.

But you can't please everybody and I must be in the minority since I see nobody complaining.

8. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Well, 6 cores would be after 4 :D

And I don't see how adding two more cores to a phone would suddenly make technology take over people's lives. The single core iPhone has done that well enough. And some Androids, I'll admit. But the only thing that will sever people's need for technology is their own will power. Or a really big EMP blast.

9. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    Dual cores are barely being used right now, only a small handfull of apps actually use the dual core the way intended. Quad core is just a way to get more money from consumers right now.

10. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    I thought they multiply,

What I meant about taking over people life is those new features in phones and other electronic gadgets, makes life easier but sacrifices an important thing.

Or those future-proofing lots like me. :D

I have an HTC legend and it will be 2 years old by march/april (unlocked), and in desperate need for a new phone, Either some new dual-core mid-range HTC to be released (HTC Ville), or Galaxy Nexus!

11. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    What about the HTC Vivid?

12. Pochi_X

Pochi_X Member
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    I live outside the USA, there's few options to choose from for us the minority, something along the line of HTC Sensation XL (single core, WXVGA display 480x800), but its design remind me to the Samsung rather than authentic HTC design.

I am having high hopes for mid-range phones of 2012 for something that suits me, a qHD display, single-core or dual-core 4"+ and with ICS.

Nice one, though my dream phone would not have capacitive buttons and instead would have software buttons just like Galaxy Nexus ones.

If HTC continues the capacitive buttons trend I'll so buy the white Galaxy Nexus i.e. oreo biscuit!

Though... I'll miss HTC quality build in exchange of lame plastic.

13. quest7

quest7 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Student
    oklahoma city, okla
    Not to get o/t but

New cellphone battery technology promises ten times longer life | TG Daily

With current technology, the performance of a lithium-ion battery is limited. How long a battery can maintain its chargeis limited by how many lithium ions can be packed into the anode or cathode. Meanwhile, the speed at which it recharges is limited by the speed at which the lithium ions can make their way from the electrolyte into the anode.

In current rechargeable batteries, the anode - made of layers of carbon-based graphene sheets - can only accommodate one lithium atom for every six carbon atoms. Replacing the carbon with silicon means much more lithium can be accommodated. However, silicon expands and contracts dramatically in the charging process, causing fragmentation and losing its charge capacity rapidly.

Kung's research team has been able to stabilize the silicon in order to maintain maximum charge capacity, by sandwiching clusters of silicon between the graphene sheets. This allows for a greater number of lithium atoms in the electrode while utilizing the flexibility of graphene sheets to accommodate the volume changes of silicon during use.

"Now we almost have the best of both worlds," Kung said. "We have much higher energy density because of the silicon, and the sandwiching reduces the capacity loss caused by the silicon expanding and contracting. Even if the silicon clusters break up, the silicon won't be lost."

14. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    True to some extent, as shiny new tech drives every market and every manufacturer wants to be seen as an innovator rather than a follower.

However it's also due simply to evolution. As the fab processes become more sophisticated it's possible to produce more reliable, more powerful and more power-efficient processors from a silicon wafer - look how the desktop landscape has evolved in a few years. What we're seeing in smartphones is just a spin-off from this.

15. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    In regards to the battery argument, I just think they need to try redesigning them a bit. experiment with different shapes etc. I want my battery to be part of the battery cover too... all that wasted plastic could have a little bit more fluid. :)