• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Unlocks Verizon and ATT Bootloaders

wow... if thats true,it may make me reconsider the rezound !

looks like a back to stock and test the htc unlock method on my TB may be in order :D

to more appropriately answer your questions,it doenst mean much for those allready rooted,and for any device where comminity root/downgrade is possible. #1 doing this does technically void "all or parts of your warranty" :eek: and its also a little bit decieving what it does.

the htc unlock does NOT give you full control over your device. what it does do,is give you access to recovery,boot,and system. its possible to change kernels and flash roms with this setup,wich is prolly fine for about 95% of the rooted comminity. the rest of us are disapointed with it,as it will not let you change radios,it will not let you change hboot,and it will not let you flash any RUU that you please like other truly unlocked "s-off" devices.

so no,defiately dont lock your device back up so you can use the htc method. youre in a better off spot where you are :)

Reactions: zilla.
Upvote 0
This seems like a momentous day in the history of Android, no? And Rezound is definitely looking a whole lot better.

So how does that work if you can't change H-boot? I mean, if you unlock and change roms/kernels, then a new radio/ota comes out, what do you do? And if I understand correctly, no nandroids, or is that something that can be fixed down the road without s-off?

Upvote 0
This seems like a momentous day in the history of Android, no?

So how does that work if you can't change H-boot? I mean, if you unlock and change roms/kernels, then a new radio/ota comes out, what do you do? And if I understand correctly, no nandroids, or is that something that can be fixed down the road without s-off?

basically,the hboot allows changes to boot,recovery,and system. much like the revolutionary hboot,it protects itself from being overwritten(with some additional security) and it prevents the radio from being changed as well.

since recovery is now open,one can use the command fastboot flash<recoveryname>.img to get a working recovery(clokwork,twrp,etc) and then flash the superuser files,much like rooting with revolutionary. nandroids work just fine,as does flashing roms. there is one hiccup- the "boot" image is not avaible to be changed by recovery,just by the bootloader(via the fastboot flash command in fastboot). since the kernel lives in the boot image, the recovery is "launched" into flash memory from fastoot via the command fastboot boot<recoveryname>.img. this allows kernels and roms with new kernels to be flashed in recovery in a familiar manner :)

since a PC and a command window are needed,you wont have the luxury of being able to flash new kernels,roms with new kernels,or restore backups with different kernels(i presume) on the subway on the way to work :eek:

i hope that all made some sense :eek:

to aswer your questions about radios,otas: all youll need to do is relock the bootloader via fastboot oem lock you can then run an RUU for the current acceptable firmware,and accept an OTA.

so,you will be able to update radios,but it will be a more complex process:
1) fire up PC. open command window
2)plug in phone
3)lauch recovery from fastboot
4)make a backup
5)reboot back to fastboot
6)lock bootloader via fastboot oem lock
7)run ruu to get to current firmware
8)let OTA install new radio,or run newer RUU
9)unlock bootloader again. you can use your origina unlock code.bin file
10)reflash recovery in fastboot via fastboot flash (actually this might be optional)
11)launch recovery from within fastboot via fastboot boot
12)restore the backup you made before you locked your bootloader :)
13)*big sigh of relief* :p

so while htc dev unlock works for most of what most folks want to be rooted for,you might now understand a lil better the value of a truly unsecured s-off bootloader :)

Reactions: dragonsamus
Upvote 0
Whoa! That sucks, man! I'm guessing just flashing a rom/kernel will involve a similar set of steps. So I assume the fastboot command is initiated in adb? Man, that's a heck of a lot more complicated for us weekend flashers. Guess it'll just mean learning a new procedure that will eventually become second nature, much like the current process.

So does this mean permanent s-off will still be something that is attempted on, say, the Rezound or will devs pretty much say screw all the extra work?

Upvote 0
well i came to my senses since the TB is still under warranty :eek:

but i tried it on my incredible 2 and holy crap it worked :cool:

IMG_20111228_202243.jpg

ignore the s-off,as this phone has a radio s-off allready. prior to "unlocking" the pink unlocked said locked. i went thru the steps to htc dev unlock and sure enuff its now unlocked this is really cool for phones like the rhyme and rezound that previously had no root method.

despite the limitations,i agree 100% its a monumentous day for android/htc. :D

Upvote 0
Whoa! That sucks, man! I'm guessing just flashing a rom/kernel will involve a similar set of steps. So I assume the fastboot command is initiated in adb? Man, that's a heck of a lot more complicated for us weekend flashers. Guess it'll just mean learning a new procedure that will eventually become second nature, much like the current process.

So does this mean permanent s-off will still be something that is attempted on, say, the Rezound or will devs pretty much say screw all the extra work?

well,the fastboot command is initiated inthe command window,like ADB commands youve run. however,youre tecinally using fastboot,not ADB ;)

while the radio change process is definatley more comvoluted,and you wont be able to go to an old radio if you dont like the new one, simply flashing roms really is the same. it just requires you to plug into a PC and take a couple extra steps to boot to fastoot,and launch recovery. if you want to flash a new kernel,the days of recovery from a "power off" menu are over. at least with htcdev.

it sounds like a PITA,but ive been messin with an evo3d i got cheap on CL and its really not so bad. ive flashed several roms on it,unlocked and relocked it a few times. you can use the same unlock file that you get when you first do it,so locking and unlocking arent a big deal,just a couple fastboot commands.

once youve fastboot booted your recovery,you wipe,flash,backup,restore,etc. exactly as you do now. on the evo im using TWRP :)

the lesser phones(rhyme) will prolly never have permanent s-off,but i hope devs dont give up.

tho,in all honesty,i dont think its possible,unless the xtc clip can support it to turn the secure flag off in the radio. due to the extrea security checks,an unsigned by htc,patched s-off hboot(revolutionary) will brick the phone. in order to have permanent,real s-off,it will have to be an unsecured radio. :( thats why this is exciting... it may be the only way we can enjoy custom firmware from here out.

Upvote 0
So is this how flashing is currently done on the GNex, using fastboot? I suppose this announcement removes a lot of the cache of the GNex, eh? About the only reason I was looking at it over the Rezound was the unlocked bootloader.

no,the gnex is completely unlocked,like an s-off htc. stuff is flashed on it just like were used to,since recovery can write to the boot image. all you need to do on it is use fastboot flash or odin to install a recovery and then just use it. no need to fastboot boot the recovery.

i agree with you... the locked bootloader was the only reason i was contemplating the gnex as well. :cool:

there are still gonna be gnex fans,and thats ok. i personally think the hardware and build quality of the rezound makes it a better device,but thats just my humble opinion. ;)

ima start watching CL for rezounds. if i can pick one up for about the contract price i prolly will :D im planning to wait until CES before using up another upgrade,tho.

Upvote 0
No, I meant posting 'em not seeing 'em. :p

yup... they work fine. you just have to know what they are. for example: : ) without the space,is :) ; ) is ;) : p is :p

so in your smilie,take out the -,make the P a p and put the : and p right next to one another.

i do not believe theres a way you can enable them so you just tap on the one you want(kind of like how it works on a pc) if thats what youre askin :)

Reactions: jackdubl
Upvote 0
Agree on the upgrade. The Rezound is better than the tbolt, but not significantly imo. Best to wait and see what that next gen looks like. However, I have been known to get an itchy trigger finger.

I agree with you...and holdijng off the trigger finger...not worth the extra dough for a phone that doesn't do significantly more for you....waiting for the next best generation...not necessarily the ICS either...

Upvote 0
I was thinking of trying to pick up a Rezound in about 6 months when its price comes down. Reading this thread it implies the Rezound cannot be rooted. Is that the case?

not the case at all,quite the opposite,as youve discovered below ;)

Edit: I found this link to root the Rezound. Its looks easy now that the thing is unlocked.

[HOW TO] Permanently Root Rezound [Post Bootloader Unlock][Windows]

while there are some distinct advantages of a true unsecured bootloader,htcdev will allow prolly 95% of the folks that want to root to be able to do what they want root to do. from running a few root apps and delete some bloat on a stock rom,to running a custom recovery and changing roms and kernels.

Upvote 0
Is the HTC warranty transferable? If not, you guys that pick up a second hand Rezound don't even have that reason to not do it.

Me? I think I will wait for the next generation of video silicon. People are too hung up on the CPU...which is rapidly becoming the least "bottlenecky" aspect of the phone. It is one thing Apple seems to get right--they usually have what I would consider a better match between CPU and video. The CPU stats are easier to understand and therefore sell.

Upvote 0
Is the HTC warranty transferable? If not, you guys that pick up a second hand Rezound don't even have that reason to not do it.

Me? I think I will wait for the next generation of video silicon. People are too hung up on the CPU...which is rapidly becoming the least "bottlenecky" aspect of the phone. It is one thing Apple seems to get right--they usually have what I would consider a better match between CPU and video. The CPU stats are easier to understand and therefore sell.

brizey,i damn near always agree 100% with your posts :cool: while id not use HTCdev to unlock something thats under warranty if other methods are available,you are absolutely right. when you buy one second hand your only option is asurion(i think you can add to a second hand device?) and they dont care if its unlocked or not if you pay them the premiums and deductible. i did not hesitate to htcdev unlock my second hand flyer,inc2,or evo 3d.

i have phone ADD,so if i can find one used ill snag it. but i dont really plan to use an upgrade on anything until after CES. and maybe not even then.

ive always said apple makes a great product. i just hate the close source and the control that they want to have. to me,android is just much more fun.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones