• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC vs Samsung

This is a tough question for anyone to answer. I believe the best answer is your personal preference. I personally like HTC over samsung due to past experiences with Samsung. Although the newer devices seem to be a lot better.

I have friends of mine who only buy Samsung, they hate HTC. It ultimately boils down to what you "feel" in your hand. Go to the store and play with both and see what you like. Be sure to research before you buy! :)

Upvote 0
Support from developers is usually pretty high on both manufacturers, but it can be very device specific. Generally the more high end the phone is, the more support it will get.
For example, devices like the Incredible, Evo 4G, Desire for HTC got huge support because they were all high end at the time. Likewise, the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Nexus S also did.
Which is better is always up to personal preference. Some like the build quality of A v B, some the sound quality, some the radios/battery/skins etc.
Mess around with any and all devices you can and decide for yourself what you would like best. I've used a couple Motorolas, an HTC, 2 Samsungs and an Asus. All of them have pluses and minuses.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
That's a tough question.

I have a lot of experience with Samsung and I've noticed they're sort of hit or miss. Sometimes they'll have an incredibly amazing product that's a great value, and sometimes they'll have something that you can't help but question to quality of. I'd say that a product of theirs is more likely to be good than bad, but it's really up in the air =\.

HTC seems much more stable. I recently asked myself the same question because I didn't know whether or not to get an HTC phone or a Samsung. Every phone I've seen from friends/family from HTC has seemed very solid. So I went with them and I'm impressed.

So I guess I'd suggest HTC, simply because that the route I took and I'm very happy I did. It feels like a much less risky decision

Upvote 0
Pricing depends on many factors. Quality might be one (it costs more to make a quality product), but marketing & commercial decisions are often the real cause. In my country (UK) I'd say that high-end Samsungs tend to be slightly more expensive than their nearest HTC equivalent. But it also varies by model - the Galaxy Note seems to be good value compared with the older SGS2, which is presumably because demand for the SGS2 remained high and hence so did the price.

The best advice I can offer is to see what people say about the models that interest you, decide which still seem to be candidates after that, then go to a shop and have a look at them for real. There are things that spec sheets can't tell you, and only you can decide what feels right.

Upvote 0
Maybe a bit off-topic, bcs I have no experience with HTC, but I used a lot of different Sony Ericsson, Samsung devices (and Nokia before I switched to Android). Now I use SGS2. It is great phone for me. The only cons: not good audio quality for my taste. But camera, battery, screen, ICS platform is OK and the best key point is a form factor. That's why for example I will never choose Galaxy Nexus even if it cost same money. So, my point is that no one can tell you what is the best phone or manufacturer personally for you.

Reactions: ann630
Upvote 0
I have experience with both samsung and htc but i have used htc phones far more extensively so my opinion on samsung may not be quite as spot on as i would like it to be.

I will start by saying that neither is a better brand because they both do certain things better.

Build quality: Now this is tricky because both samsung and htc phones are built very well. Samsung prefers to use cheaper plastics that dont feel very great in your hand but the phones are very durable. Htc uses much higher quality materials than samsung and from my experience are just as durable as any samsung. Winner HTC

User interface: Both companies use skins over the stock android experience and both have their ups and downs. Samsung's skin is called touchwiz and while it may not be the best looking take on android it is extremely functional and simple to use. Htc uses sense, Now in the past sense has been very heavy and intrusive on older software models like 3.0-3.5. Sense is very fun to play with but isnt all that great of a feature.
Winner: Samsung*. Keep in mind that the newer version of sense is available soon and this may dethrone samsung

Performance: This isnt so easy to judge because both companies make dozens of different handsets with varying speeds so im going to have to generalize it. Both HTC and samsung are good at making snappy phones. However in the past year or so samsung has really been ahead in this aspect. This year looks to be a much closer race between these two. With HTC using the tegra3 and the s4 processors they arent going to be far behind the samsung if at all.
Winner : Samsung* (unless you are looking at phones from 2012)

Aesthetics: As mentioned before Samsung uses much cheaper materials than htc so this may hinder their ability to make a beautiful device. Samsung phones tend to be just thin slabs with big screens and a flat back. HTC is much more daring design wise and especially with their new one x have a history of good looking phones
Winner : HTC

Screen: Going off of the flagship phones from both companies from this year makes it a close race. HTC used a 4.7 inch 720p hd screen that uses super lcd 2 technology. Samsung used a 4.8 inch 720p hd super amoled screen. Despite having a marginally smaller screen with the same resolution htc comes out as a winner here. The technology in the super lcd2 screen allows for a much better picture when compared to the pentile matrix of the super amoled screen
Winner: HTC ( Unless you really like to look at black then the amoled technology should suit you well)

Battery Life: Samsung over the past year has been praised for the long lasting batteries in their newer galaxy phones. The new galaxy sIII seems to keep that tradition with its massive 2150 MAH battery. Battery life has always plauged HTC devices and although it is improving it is not as good a samsung.
Winner: Samsung

Camera: Recently HTC has spent many hours improving the cameras on their new phones and it has paid off. The cameras on the one x and one s are some of the best cameras commercially available on smartphones and come equipped with some of the best software. Samsung is no slouch either though. The camera on the galaxy sIII looks to be the same as on the gsII so judging by that i would say that the gsIII will be a highly capable shooter.
Winner: Tie

As you can see there is no clear winner. it all comes down to what you want in a phone. If you would have asked this question last year the definitive answer would have been samsung. This year though HTC really stepped up their game and have become highly competitive

Upvote 0
I do think HTC is a better choice, but you said they tend to cost 20-30% more?

I'm not entirely sure that difference is appropriate because Samsung is still quite good. Of course it all depends on the exact price. I would say if you're looking at two phones with the same specs and the HTC is only $20-40 more (or $50 if they're both very high end and expensive) then it may be worth dropping a few more bucks. If it's more than $50 then there's a very high chance you're best off going with Samsung.

If you have specific devices in mind you should post them

Upvote 0
I have experience with both samsung and htc but i have used htc phones far more extensively so my opinion on samsung may not be quite as spot on as i would like it to be.

I will start by saying that neither is a better brand because they both do certain things better.

Build quality: Now this is tricky because both samsung and htc phones are built very well. Samsung prefers to use cheaper plastics that dont feel very great in your hand but the phones are very durable. Htc uses much higher quality materials than samsung and from my experience are just as durable as any samsung. Winner HTC

User interface: Both companies use skins over the stock android experience and both have their ups and downs. Samsung's skin is called touchwiz and while it may not be the best looking take on android it is extremely functional and simple to use. Htc uses sense, Now in the past sense has been very heavy and intrusive on older software models like 3.0-3.5. Sense is very fun to play with but isnt all that great of a feature.
Winner: Samsung*. Keep in mind that the newer version of sense is available soon and this may dethrone samsung

Performance: This isnt so easy to judge because both companies make dozens of different handsets with varying speeds so im going to have to generalize it. Both HTC and samsung are good at making snappy phones. However in the past year or so samsung has really been ahead in this aspect. This year looks to be a much closer race between these two. With HTC using the tegra3 and the s4 processors they arent going to be far behind the samsung if at all.
Winner : Samsung* (unless you are looking at phones from 2012)

Aesthetics: As mentioned before Samsung uses much cheaper materials than htc so this may hinder their ability to make a beautiful device. Samsung phones tend to be just thin slabs with big screens and a flat back. HTC is much more daring design wise and especially with their new one x have a history of good looking phones
Winner : HTC

Screen: Going off of the flagship phones from both companies from this year makes it a close race. HTC used a 4.7 inch 720p hd screen that uses super lcd 2 technology. Samsung used a 4.8 inch 720p hd super amoled screen. Despite having a marginally smaller screen with the same resolution htc comes out as a winner here. The technology in the super lcd2 screen allows for a much better picture when compared to the pentile matrix of the super amoled screen
Winner: HTC ( Unless you really like to look at black then the amoled technology should suit you well)

Battery Life: Samsung over the past year has been praised for the long lasting batteries in their newer galaxy phones. The new galaxy sIII seems to keep that tradition with its massive 2150 MAH battery. Battery life has always plauged HTC devices and although it is improving it is not as good a samsung.
Winner: Samsung

Camera: Recently HTC has spent many hours improving the cameras on their new phones and it has paid off. The cameras on the one x and one s are some of the best cameras commercially available on smartphones and come equipped with some of the best software. Samsung is no slouch either though. The camera on the galaxy sIII looks to be the same as on the gsII so judging by that i would say that the gsIII will be a highly capable shooter.
Winner: Tie

As you can see there is no clear winner. it all comes down to what you want in a phone. If you would have asked this question last year the definitive answer would have been samsung. This year though HTC really stepped up their game and have become highly competitive

Many thanks bro
your analysis is excellent and clear alot of things but i would ask for something confusing me
i use the phone for call and email sometimes for songs only, i will not play games or use heavy programs.

if i get a model with rams 512 or 768 this make a problem for my use or not ? which is more important the processor or ram ? i wonder if models like wildfire s and Galaxy Ace plus is enough for my use or i have to buy high end model like S2 ?:thinking:

cos i don't want to pay more for nonsense

thanks again for help:eek:

Upvote 0
Whether a 512MB RAM will be enough for use is dependent on what you would use it for. I have a single core 1Ghz phone with 658MB RAM. Its completely capable enough for my uses and I'm a pretty heavy user. It does however fall behind in games. Better games tend to have a little lag now and then, but lower end games like Angry birds run fine.

Upvote 0
Whether a 512MB RAM will be enough for use is dependent on what you would use it for. I have a single core 1Ghz phone with 658MB RAM. Its completely capable enough for my uses and I'm a pretty heavy user. It does however fall behind in games. Better games tend to have a little lag now and then, but lower end games like Angry birds run fine.

i use the phone for call and email sometimes for songs only, i will not play games or use heavy programs.

i wonder if models like wildfire s and Galaxy Ace plus is enough for my use or not ?:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones