• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Weather laking cities

Ruben

Android Expert
Dec 20, 2009
My HTC Eris is phenomenal at finding my location and then telling me the weather for where I am. I'll pass a city limit and less than a few minutes later it will tell me the exact city with that city's weather. My issue is that if I want to manually add a city, i.e. Estero, FL, it won't let me because it's not in the directory. This is weird because when I was in Estero, it showed me that, and it gave me the weather. Can anyone explain?

Have you tried the "My Location" choice when you're in Estero? Tap the widget so it brings you app up and tap the + button at the bottom right. Then tap "My Location." This will bring up a map with a stick pin that you can drag to the location you want. Then click done. If it says "Unable to retrieve location name," you can edit the name by clicking in the box that says "Current location" and it will add it to your personal list (not the big list of cities that comes with the app though).
When you are at the location, it should grab the city you set up on your list and display that. If you don't have GPS on, it may go by the signal from a tower nearby but not in your location and give you a different city name though.
If you live near a city with the same name as another in the list though, that's a whole nother PITA. I get the time for Riverside, CA whenever I drive through Riverside, IL. That got annoying enough for my to take the clock off the weather widget and use a different clock app. The weather would always work fine though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones