1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Weather Widget

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by steele87, May 29, 2011.

1. steele87

steele87 Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    Hi All. The weather widget on my HTC desire (Weather app version 3), has stopped updating over my WiFi connection. If I disable wifi, the update works fine over the mobile network. I have background data enabled, and also auto update enabled in the App.

Has anybody else experienced this and has a solution? It doesnt seem a firewall type issue, as I turn my firewall off and the app still wont update. Does anybody know what port this weather app uses?

Please no responses suggesting to use a different weather app, because that really just misses the point...

Thanks in advance,..

Advertisement

2. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    Have you tried removing the widget and then adding it back. Or tried clearing the data/cache for the widget?

Does it work on anyone's wi-fi?

3. steele87

steele87 Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    Have cleared all app data, but unable to uininstall the widget, as it is the default HTC one. Wont let me uninstall it.

My wifes HTC desire has the same problem, but that doesnt help me, as I cant tell if the problem is my Wifi at home or not...

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA

I meant just remove the widget from the home screen(long press on the widget, move to trash can), reboot, add it back.

Haven't tried it on anyone else's wi-fi then?

5. steele87

steele87 Lurker
    None

Dec 4, 2010
    Have removed widget from home screen etc, rebooted blah blah... Even flashed a few different RIM's with the same issue there. Wifes Stock Desire With Stock ROM is also the same. Thats why I think it may be my wifi or internet at home. Dont have access to anybody elses right now to check,,,

6. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
  7. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    One theory I have is that the HTC Weather app is using geolocation, and you get more accurate geolocation using 3G via triangulation with base towers and by through the internet IP.

Geolocation is possible also in pure wifi only, assuming your IP address is matched to a known data base of locations.

It could have stopped working because somewhere in the Internet wifi connection, your provider may have changed the IP address so that this new IP address no longer matches the database of locations.

It is not as much as the weather app isn't no longer working in Wifi, it is no longer working with your internet provider. Of course it would still work with your phone carrier.

Or some setting in the phone may have changed to disable location setting.

If GSM, check Settings > Location & Security > Use Wireless Networks

If CDMA or Verizon, check Settings > Location. See if Google Location Services is turned on.

Also check your weather app with another wifi spot with a different internet provider.