1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Htc what are they thinking with thunderbolt.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jrife, May 26, 2011.

1. Jrife

KjjI like my thunderbolt, but that battery extender with door is a little ******ed. Htc should of just made the tbolt slightly thicker and designed it with a slightly bigger battery . The standard battery phone comes with is really small for a big screen 4g phone and the extended battery is a bit much. Htc heard of happy medium? And light seeping through bottom of screen and ledge what up with that? Mine has that and light seepage on top right corner as well. Htc make nice stuff, but quality control isn't there. The battery extender is planned out plot to make $$$ which is cool, but the phone cost enough already and they could of went different route and put in a more suitable size battery for a phone running this much juice. Its hard to get a case while rocking the extended battery and if they did the phone will look like a huge mangled turd. Htc I think should be a little more classy about it's products. I don't know who to blame for the update that causes rebooting randomly I'm guessing htc they create the software. Hopefully they get a fix soon and maybe test it's software before releasing it and not go with a leaked version.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. robrecht

robrecht Android Enthusiast

Totally agree about slightly thicker and the pitifully small 1400 mAh battery in a phone with this much screen real-estate and radio power. But, to optimize battery size and overall design, they'd have to get rid of the kickstand and relocate (and minimize?) the speaker. A lot of people like the coolness factor of the kickstand, but from a functional design point of view, it would make more sense to use a cheaper kickstand integrated into a case. Solves the case issue and docking problems at the same time.

But a cool kickstand on a thin phone is much easier to market to the buyer, not necessarily more functional for the actual user. The world needs more engineers and fewer marketing/business majors.

If the light seepage is bad, just have the unit replaced. Not sure how many units have this problem, but certainly all do not. As for random reboots, we really don't know the relative numbers of phones that do worse/better with the OTA update. They may be getting closer to tuning the firmware/tower settings as they work out the kinks in the 4G network. I suspect so. But, personally, I would not tolerate a phone that randomly reboots. If you have the patience, make Verizon replace it as many times as it takes until they realize the best way to fix the phone or more likely the local network problems. If you don't have the patience, make 'em give you an LG Revolution or Samsung Charge or a 3G phone (if you don't want to deal with cutting edge tech) until they come up with a better phone/network solution for you.

Verizon values a long-term relationship with you and will typically bend over backwards to keep you happy. Good luck.

Gravytrain likes this.
  3. jreed2560

jreed2560 Android Expert

4. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

In hindsight we would want all this but imagine when the phone first came out and you haven't had enough time to see how shitty the battery is, who would want a huge fatty phone?

5. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

I am sorry but what would having a 200 or 300 mAh larger batter really give you? You are asking for the power and performance of a Muscle car with the fuel economy of a Prius. Many users of these phones lets it go all out syncing accounts and letting everything run. They have the mentality of if it can do it then it should do it all the time. I think many people forgets that this is in fact a cellphone. If you want great battery life then maybe getting a "Dumb Phone" or just give up facebook,Twitter,All the other battery draining widgets that people puts on their phones that sync. Why not just open your email program when you want to check your email. Instead of having it sync all the time. I am sure there is only a few people out there that email is a huge part of their job or business that the sync option of this phone is needed. I know for a test I enabled sync for facebook just to see how the battery would preform and it dropped drastically. I can go now easily over 30 Hrs on a charge. I am sometimes shocked when people say they have like 50 apps on their phone or even in the hundreds and I am like wow and they wonder why their battery life sucks.

People needs to learn how to manage their phones. Turn off 3G and 4G when you are not using the phone for data. I know I did this on my original Droid at night and the next morning I looked at my phone to see how much power was lost and I lost 1% of the battery in like 10 hrs. We manage other things in our lives. So why is it so hard to manage a phone?

Sorry for the long winded post but people cant say oh I never knew android phones had such horrible battery life. Especially when they are coming from another android device. I have never heard of an android phone that got great battery performance. I even seen over in the droid charge section people are starting to complain about the battery life of that phone. I am in no way bashing the DC but its a great example of a new phone and how quick people comes out with saying that.

There are ways to manage your battery life and make it last longer but you have to be willing to do them. Turn off sync and data (when not using it) I bet you would see a big increase in the life of your device.

again I am sorry for the long post. I am not saying I am right and you are wrong. Just how I see things. So dont take it as an attack.

PS I agree that the reboot issue was a problem that should of been easally avoided. Its uncalled for on HTC side.

6. dguy

dguy Android Expert

Get an extended battery if you want to be able to use the phone like crazy all day and have it last all day. I've owned more than five different Android phones and not once was I happy enough with the stock battery performance to not have the desire to buy an extended battery.

7. Eris1981

Eris1981 Android Enthusiast

I wouldn't mind an extended battery, except once you install it it does not fit in any of the cradles. My mileage on the battery varies, sometimes smoked by noon, sometimes 30% at midnight.

I like the phone so far over all.

8. dguy

dguy Android Expert

I bought a universal car mount for using my phone as a GPS in the car and it works just fine with the Thunderbolt with the extended battery. I can still plug in a car charger and it works just like a car mount. When charging at home I just plug it into the usb cable I always have plugged into my laptop.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews