1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

HTC Wildfire S - Music Problem

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Daveb3650, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Daveb3650

Daveb3650 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Hi, i've looked on google for help to this one but haven't seen the answer.

Basically, I'm trying to get my music transferred from my PC over to the phone.

What happens is, I connect the phone to the PC using the supplied cable, after about 10 seconds the PC opens the usual windows AUTOPLAY window and from the options I chose "Open Folder To View Files".
    The window opens and I can see lots of files that are on the phone, Then I copy and paste the music files accross and after a minute of so, the folders are showing on the phone.

Then I disconnect the phone, and guess what......they have gone, the music folders/files arent there.

I'm only trying to do a couple of CD's that have about ten tracks on them.

Any ideas folks as it's driving me nuts.

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Dave,

Welcome to the AndroidForums, glad you signed-up :).

The only obvious thing I can think of to ask is if you did a "safe eject" on the external drive on your PC before disconnecting the cable.

That ensures that all buffered writes have completed and that all of the data has been writes and files are closed.

Usually, if you right-click the drive letter or top folder name, you'll see an option for "safe eject" (or words to that effect) that will allow you to do this. You should also see an icon in your PC's status tray (bottom right of the screen) that includes options for un-mounting the drive.

You'll also have to re-mount the SD card on your phone after doing this. You can typically do this by dragging the notification bar down and selecting the "USB connection" section and changing what is/was selected from "USB Mass Storage" back to "Charge Only" (the wording might be different for your phone, these are what my Droid X says).

If these tips don't help, you might want to ask the folks in your phone's main forum, since they'll know it better than I:

http://androidforums.com/htc-wildfire-s/

Good luck and again, welcome to the AndroidForums!

3. Daveb3650

Daveb3650 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Hi and Many Thanks for your prompt reply.

When I try to "safe eject" it keeps saying that it is in use.

I have watched the progress bar and then when all activity seems to have stopped - I try it..... same thing...its in use....

I have tried it with a different memory card...i spoke to a chap in my local pub last night, he says all he does is plug it into pc.....copy files......pull cable out.....and its done....

In not using SYNC...... infact the sync file has gone from the Apps section.

God, Im FRUSTRATED lol

Cheers again

Dave

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, Dave!

I have a couple of questions for you. Since you have tried a couple of times, when you plug your phone back into your PC to try to copy again and it opens to folder view, are the files there?

Where are you putting the files on the memory card? I've got a folder called music where i put all my albums. BTW, it wasn't there by default. I had to create it.

What format are you using for the songs? And, are they copyrighted? There could be a few issues why they might not show up.

5. Daveb3650

Daveb3650 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Im basically just copying them to the root of the sd card. Can I say, copy everything into one folder called "MUSIC" and then get the phone to use this as a default area.

When I put the memory card back into PC.... nothing there,,,,all gone.....

At this very moment, I have copied all the Micro SD card to PC, then formatting the SD card and then copying all back inthe hope that its an error witth the memory card. It's a 16GB Micro SD .

6. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Then I don't think they were ever copied there in the first place. Depending on how many tracks and the size of the files, it could easily take 5~10 minutes to copy. Instead of copy and paste, I'd drag and drop. And when that was done I'd right-click the drive letter and select 'eject'. If it refuses to eject because something is accessing the device, then the file copy might not be done. Wait a minute or two and try to eject again.

Daveb3650 likes this.
  7. Daveb3650

Daveb3650 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Ive copied the 3 CD's onto the blank SD card.....guess what.....its showing them fine, eh...lol......could it be a dodgy SD card problem....

Ive now Un mounted the SD card, and put it back in the PC.... there are a few extra folders added by the phone....namely Android.secure ....and LOST.Dir...i'm not sure what they are.....

Is it ok to create a folder called MY-MUSIC and put everything in there, will the music player find my stuff.

Im going to copy back all the "backed" up stuff onto the card and see what happens....

Thanks Again

8. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Android will scan all the folders for media and make it available where appropriate. There are a few special folders like 'ringtones' and 'notifications' that will make audio files available in special menus, but other than that you should be free to name your folders anything you want. My-music sounds a little to microsofty for my tastes, but it's entirely up to you.

Those folders you see are created when the sd card is mounted if they don't already exist. Apps also create folders there for data and setting storage to keep more internal memory free. Once those folders become unavailable my unmounting or removing the sd card, the apps might no longer work

Daveb3650 likes this.
  9. Daveb3650

Daveb3650 Newbie
    None

Jul 17, 2011
    Many Thanks for your help...

Im going to create a folder and put all the music in that....

Fingers crossed - it seems to be working at the mo LOl....

I'll be back soon with an update

Cheers again