• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC...You can go to hell...

I guess I'm not somebody who's looking for the Evo to replace my phone, home computer, gaming console, camera, and video camera... It's just nice to be able to use those functions whenever needed and not have to say 'I left my ____ at home.' And the Evo just happens to do it better than any other similar device out there now, and some that are not even released yet.

I agree with the quote above and the human eye cant see over 30fps anyway.

Upvote 0
I guess none of you are hardcore gamers, because EA released many 30fps titles on the current major console systems (ps3 and 360) when they first came out, and guess what....they still played just fine. The switching screens on the phone being a little laggy is NOT a function of 30fps, but no one seems to get this. It's a function of how the java is working on the phone, and this problem isn't there on 2.2.

Obviously it's nicer to run it full speed, but damn, give the devs some time instead of freaking out over the net.

Upvote 0
im not looking for my phone to replace my pc or ps3. i build all my pc's. right now im running quad core amd 64, 8 gigs dual channel, 2 nvidia 9800+ vid cards sli, and some other goodies. the games on the phone are cool but if i want to really play that's what i have my pc and ps3 for. that's what im saying. the phone is still new given time im sure there will be lots great things for it later. every new tech item that has come out over the years had tons of problems at first.

Upvote 0
Seems like people need somethingto complain about. What's gets me is the people who just believe all the whiney threads and let other peoples idiocy cloud they're own judgement about the phone before they even get it. Get the phone and experience it for yourself. I couldn't be happier. If I believed the reviews for PS3 or Wii or a plasma I'd never own any electronics. Go to the iPhone blogs on release day and youll read the same whining I'm sure. People like to whine (some). Realistically if u bought the phone and didn't like it soon after you probably bought out of hype. I was sold from day one and this bad boy aint goin nowhere anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
all this from some customer service rep's response? too funny. amazing how people take the word of a CSR as gospel when they are reading some canned response with zero real knowledge of their own. It's been mentioned elsewhere that it's being looked at and will be fixed. Waste of a thread.

By the way, a customer service rep at best by said for SURE there were EVDO iPhone 4's in their system and would be out for sale this year......

Upvote 0
I just want to know if this is something they are going to fix or leave it the way it is. If they are I am not going to be getting an Evo

Its too early to tell if there is going to be a definitive fix. I know the main point of this thread was the 30fps thing, but the EVO has another problem, Finger tracking. Watch the hockey puck video, it doesn't track the finger accurately.

all this from some customer service rep's response? too funny. amazing how people take the word of a CSR as gospel when they are reading some canned response with zero real knowledge of their own. It's been mentioned elsewhere that it's being looked at and will be fixed. Waste of a thread.

I wouldn't take CSR as gospel, but after HTC doing this once before, I cannot trust a bunch of "maybes" from HTC to fix this. I'm gonna use my 30 days and see what comes of this.

Upvote 0
seriously OP, move on and get over it. the evo isn't made to do what its supposed to do? this is a consumer product, there is no perfect thing out there. no one phone satisfies everyone, thats why there are choices. most people here or out there care about 30 vs 60. maybe just people with serious ocd like yourself or maybe you just have hit puberty yet. this is a phone that works, if it doesn't work for you, move on to something else and then bitch about it 2 weeks later because it can't make coffee for you or do your laundry.

Upvote 0
Rooting does not fix it, Froyo doesn't fix it. As of right now there's no fix for it.
So do you have Froyo installed on the device? If yes, you and everyone else realizes that it is unreleased... meaning the ported version of Froyo you have is still in it's youth, and not fully developed (or we'd all have received it OTA).

Why would people get mad? My interpretation of the letter is this "The phone is made to do 30fps and you're gonna deal with it. We aren't admitting to the problem and we may fix it if we feel like it"
Think you're bein' a bit sensitive here... "You're going to deal with it" is not something they can force upon you, you do have 30 days... just return it to Sprint and/or cancel your service..

BTW, Froyo does NOT fix the problem. I think its HTC's problem, not Google's.
Again... until it's official release is available, this is hypothetical. HTC's port to have Froyo and Sense work well together is something that will increase a TON of sub-par issues with the device. Overall, 30 fps is a pretty lame thing to be upset about considering everything else the device can do...
[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about fps and all that jazz, but from what I do understand, the OP is upset that the phone is stopped at 30 fps instead of going to the maximum 60.

The issue I have with that, is the fact that as far as I can tell, there is very little difference in between the two. Movies are designed to be played at 30fps, while games can run very well at that same 30 fps. So while having a phone that is able to obtain the max from all it's parts is very nice, I don't see what the big issue is about a phone that runs 30fps when it's practically unnoticeable in real life use.

It's like being upset that your car is capped at 120 mph instead of the maximum 1160 mph, it's very rare that you'll need to go over the 120 mph (trust me I've tried, I think I've done over 130 4 time in my life) so whining about the fact that you can't go max speed is pretty much a waste of time.

Well that's just my own opinion FWIW

Upvote 0
seriously OP, move on and get over it. the evo isn't made to do what its supposed to do?

Exactly,

It was meant to do 60fps like all the other smartphones out there, but its not. I don't want a perfect phone, I already accepted build quality issues. What I won't accept is a gimped snapdragon.

If I paid good money for a device, I should have the right to expect some level of quality. I'm not asking for perfect quality here.

If I opened up a restaurant, I hope I would have customers like you who don't demand quite as much. I would make money and wouldn't have to work as hard.

Upvote 0
It seems that the device is "locked in" at 30 frames per second both in 2D (Canvas) and 3D (openGL) modes, while anecdotally, a phone like the Hero hits 54fps on average and has "smoother scrolling" in the menus. - Engadget
It is the same thing. 30fps will show motion blur to the human eye, NOT LAG.

The smoothness of the scroll has to do with lag. Lag has nothing to do with fps. They are two different subjects.

Lag is about dropping frames, about rendering the object.

This would cause flickering and motion would seem to pause, which is lag.

It is not because the device is capped at 30 fps, which is enough for the human eye, it is because in those 30 frames per second some are not getting rendered.

If you had a game with that was set to 60 fps, and down graded it to 30fps. Every other frame would not be displayed. Which means it would appear to blur.

What you are trying to do is confuse lag with blur.

Motion blur is when you have 30 frames per second, displaying only 20 frames, and a black, grey, or whit frame replaces it. Lag is when the frame NOT rendered and the last screen is displayed until the next rendered screen comes.

fps can not create lag, it can create blur. If you do not hand the frame to the video card is the only way you can create lag.

Now to make it simple with 5 fps.

Blur at 5fps over one sec with 10 frames
1st image, 2nd drop image, 3rd image, 4th drop image, 5th image, 6th drop image, 7th image, 8th drop image, 9th image, 10th drop image.

This would create a blur effect.

Now to make lag at 10fps
1st image, 2nd does not display, 3rd does not display, 4th image, 5th image, 6th does not display, 7 does not display, 8 does not display, 9 image, 10 image.

In this case the screen just jumps from 1st image to 3rd image then from 5th image to 9 image. This is lag. It has nothing to do with how fps.

Bottom line. Lag is when there is not enough frames are rendered to fill the fps.

Blur is when to many frames are reduced to where the human eye can see them.

Realistic blur is at 24fps.

If the phone is not smooth, which mine is. Then it is a rendering problem, not a displaying problem. If the images are too blurry then it is a display problem not a rendering problem.

But you are still wrong, 30fps in a video game is the same as on your phone. They are both processed and displayed the same.

Reactions: berardi1111
Upvote 0
The switching screens on the phone being a little laggy is NOT a function of 30fps, but no one seems to get this. It's a function of how the java is working on the phone, and this problem isn't there on 2.2.

I just want to know if this is something they are going to fix or leave it the way it is. If they are I am not going to be getting an Evo

Seems to me the smoothness will be addressed in Froyo, so I'm happy with that and will still be getting an EVO on Aug 1st.

And I looked at the 15/30/60 FPS animations (thanks!) and yes, I could tell the difference, but not really a show-stopper for me.

Personally, I don't like getting the first version of anything. If Sprint had any other "more mature" Droid, Id get it.

So, what do we have so far?
* 30FPS? Doesn't bother me.
* Battery issues? OK - I'll deal with it.
* Screen cover / grounding / other hardware issues? If I get a bad phone I'll take it back.

Upvote 0
Its too early to tell if there is going to be a definitive fix. I know the main point of this thread was the 30fps thing, but the EVO has another problem, Finger tracking. Watch the hockey puck video, it doesn't track the finger accurately.

I wouldn't take CSR as gospel, but after HTC doing this once before, I cannot trust a bunch of "maybes" from HTC to fix this. I'm gonna use my 30 days and see what comes of this.

I own a palm pre and I just don't want to deal with the phone never getting fixed.

Upvote 0
Exactly,

It was meant to do 60fps like all the other smartphones out there, but its not. I don't want a perfect phone, I already accepted build quality issues. What I won't accept is a gimped snapdragon.

If I paid good money for a device, I should have the right to expect some level of quality. I'm not asking for perfect quality here.

If I opened up a restaurant, I hope I would have customers like you who don't demand quite as much. I would make money and wouldn't have to work as hard.

you still don't get it do you? it has nothing to do with not being demanding. I and the majority of Evo owners out there DON'T CARE! To me, the phone works the way I want to. Its like me buying a porsche and the factory limits the top speed at 155 when the car can go up to 200mph. I don't care and most people don't. Its a simple concept that you can't seem to grasp.

Upvote 0
you still don't get it do you? it has nothing to do with not being demanding. I and the majority of Evo owners out there DON'T CARE! To me, the phone works the way I want to. Its like me buying a porsche and the factory limits the top speed at 155 when the car can go up to 200mph. I don't care and most people don't. Its a simple concept that you can't seem to grasp.

If you don't care, then accept an inferior device. If you don't care, then that's fine, I'm not telling you to give up your EVO. Take it FWIW.

Upvote 0
What you are trying to do is confuse lag with blur.

Uh, I think you're confused. From reading your post I can tell you don't know anything about animation or video.

I own a palm pre and I just don't want to deal with the phone never getting fixed.

Well I don't think you can compare the two. Palm pretty much died and was sold off to HP, so you're not gonna get support. Android on the other hand is quite large, you can expect more support from them. But this problem seems to be an HTC thing, so its up to HTC to fix this.

Upvote 0
If you don't care, then accept an inferior device. If you don't care, then that's fine, I'm not telling you to give up your EVO. Take it FWIW.

its an inferior device to YOU. and you are the only one here beating a dead horse. HTC most likely won't do anything about it and all the whining in the world from you isn't gonna change that so why are you still holding on to such an inferior device? Move on to the droid x, but oh wait, it has problem with auto focusing when taking a pic, so its probably inferior when it COULD be performing at its max potential. Move on to the iphone, oh wait, it still can't walk and chew gum at the same time and facetime is only through wifi, so thats probably inferior since the Evo can do video chat through 3g/4g. I think you should go back to a regular flip phone. It'll make calls and thur performing what its designed to do, make calls...

Upvote 0
It seems that people are taking this criticism personally. I think it is clear that everyone wants to get what the paid for. Whatever HTCs reasoning for capping the frame rate, it would be nice if they came out and said it, and also give us the choice to take the cap off and deal with the battery performance issue ourselves. This last bit would more than likely be a massive headache for them as there will be those that will uncap the rate and not understand the consequences, therefore, generating more customer service queries and more dissatisfaction. I think this is a design problem : They wanted certain features to be highlighted, and they did so at the expense of others. For Sprint, it seems, it is important to sell 4G than an Elite smartphone. Remember : the money is in the contracts not the phones. It is obvious that the lead in the spec department would only last for so long. I think this is a power issue : They wanted 4G and a certain form factor, but they would not be able to fit those two with the necessary power source, or means of distribution to balance with high performance. The EVO still remains the most powerful smartphone on the market right now. It is quite good, but it could be a lot better. This performance problem would have come out sooner or later, and think about how cheated you would feel.
Also, the whole human eye 30 FPS thing is factually incorrect. There are many sources online that can help us all be more educated about these facts. Check out

How many frames per second can the human eye see?

Reactions: MrX8503
Upvote 0
Uh, I think you're confused. From reading your post I can tell you don't know anything about animation or video.

Well I don't think you can compare the two. Palm pretty much died and was sold off to HP, so you're not gonna get support. Android on the other hand is quite large, you can expect more support from them. But this problem seems to be an HTC thing, so its up to HTC to fix this.

Is it a problem if HTC chose to cap the phone?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones