• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC's history and Android 2.0?

Quboid

Android Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Londonderry, UK
As HTC is using their own Sense UI, what happens when Android 2.0 is out? Or for that matter, 1.5.1? Are we likely to be able to upgrade and if so, will Sense be able to run on it? If it requires a new version of Sense, are HTC the sort of company who would make it available to existing users? It doesn't bode well that they aren't making Sense available for the Magic or G1, however, there could be legitimate technical reasons for this and I don't know HTC's history on the subject. Have they made upgrades available in the past?

Short version: is the cost of having Sense on the Hero that the device is locked to Android 1.5 and if not, what sort upgrades are HTC likely to offer?

As HTC is using their own Sense UI, what happens when Android 2.0 is out? Or for that matter, 1.5.1? Are we likely to be able to upgrade and if so, will Sense be able to run on it? If it requires a new version of Sense, are HTC the sort of company who would make it available to existing users? It doesn't bode well that they aren't making Sense available for the Magic or G1, however, there could be legitimate technical reasons for this and I don't know HTC's history on the subject. Have they made upgrades available in the past?

Short version: is the cost of having Sense on the Hero that the device is locked to Android 1.5 and if not, what sort upgrades are HTC likely to offer?
The reason theyre not puting sense onto the magic or G1 is supposed to be cause there are "Google Experience" phones or whatever (someone correct me if im wrong). Sense will only be available to htc experience phones or some shizzle like that.

I think they'll probably let you upgrade to new versions and keep the new feature...or it'll just get hacked on.

Upvote 0
The reason theyre not puting sense onto the magic or G1 is supposed to be cause there are "Google Experience" phones or whatever (someone correct me if im wrong). Sense will only be available to htc experience phones or some shizzle like that.

I think they'll probably let you upgrade to new versions and keep the new feature...or it'll just get hacked on.

Yes you're right. The Sense UI is currently available for HTC experience versions (i.e. without the "with Google" at the back). These versions are available so far as I noe in Asia (e.g. Singapore).

How 1.5.1 or 2.0 will affect IMO, would probably be the same as their current WinMo system. The official 1.5.1 or 2.0 would be released by Android. Where HTC would then incorporate the updates together with their Sense UI and would subsequently be available for download @ HTC's support page.

CaM.ShafT

Reactions: Quboid
Upvote 0
How 1.5.1 or 2.0 will affect IMO, would probably be the same as their current WinMo system. The official 1.5.1 or 2.0 would be released by Android. Where HTC would then incorporate the updates together with their Sense UI and would subsequently be available for download @ HTC's support page.

CaM.ShafT

Good, that what I was hoping. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones