1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support HTCSpeakdata ? HTC9

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Krenee, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    Hi Everyone. Does anyone know what HTCSpeakdata is ? How do I delete it ? I have done a hard reset and put in a new sim card and it is still showing with an old date. It has two folders with strange files in them, and is in my Internal storage it looks like. It also shows up everytime I use my phone in
    Misalanious ..make more space.
    Thanks so much

Advertisement

2. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Hi Krenee, welcome to Android Forums.

HTC Speak is an app associated with the Car app and facilitates voice control for making calls and navigating amongst other things, and both apps are uninstallable.

The folders you have in your storage contain the data files associated with the Speak app and a quick check of the files on my M9 show them to have just a few Mb of data.

Are the folders the same or similar to those on my M9?

Screenshot_20160305-100958.png Screenshot_20160305-105119.png

#2 tommo47, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    El Presidente likes this.
  3. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    Hi Tommi47
    Thank you for welcoming me, nice to meet you. Let me see if I can post pics so you can see. I also see the HTC Speak but also a HTCSpeakdata . It looks like what I just typed. Hope I did this right. Also I spoke to HTC on the phone yesterday they stated they had no idea what it was. If it is apart of the speak program may I ask why when I did a hard reset and new sim card it didn't change the date..it still shows a date from before . Thank much.

Attached Files:

#3 Krenee, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  4. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Hi, I'm not sure about the relevance of the date apart from it possibly being the date of the original creation of the folder.

You haven't said why you want to delete the HTCSpeakdata folder, and bearing in mind that you can't uninstall the Speak app I don't really understand what can be gained by trying to delete the folder.

Can I ask what has led you to wanting to delete it?

5. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Hi Krenee, I have just tried something on my M9 - I moved the HTCSpeakdata folder from 'Internal' storage to my USB-OTG storage then disconnected it from the device. I then launched the Car app and used the Speak function which worked fine. When I then looked in my Internal storage the HTCSpeakdata folder was there which is what I expected to see - the Speak app, which is uninstallable, recreates the data folder. The only difference is that it now has today's date.

So because it is not possible to uninstall the Speak app (unless you are rooted) you cannot successfully delete/remove the associated HTCSpeakdata folder. Also for the sake of about 25Mb of storage it seems hardly worth doing.

As far as you doing a 'Hard reset' is concerned it is possible that the HTCSpeakdata folder was not affected by it.

;)

#5 tommo47, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Krenee likes this.
  6. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    Thanks. I was away yesterday and just saw your post. I do not understand how this all works yet, I am still learning and I really appreciate all your help and wisdom shared. I asked about the date because I was told by the company as well as Verizon that after a reset and a new sim card that everything should be new as well as the dates..the date showing in Jan was apart of the old info , so I wasn't sure why that didn't change, because everything else did , and is showing a March date. Again I also spoke to HTC and they claim that there is no HTCSpeakdata ...and said they are looking into it and will contact me this week. I see the HTC speak app..and because I do not use that it is off on my cell, but again HTC claims that HTCSpeakdata and HTC speak are not the same. Who knows!! I do notice that everytime I use my phone for anything it shows up in my storage/USB . Under make more space . Delete misalanious files...I am sorry if I was misunderstanding you , I am really very new and learning about my phone. Again thank you for your time.

7. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    Also Tommo , May I ask if you feel rooting is better than not ? And why to people root a phone .

8. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Hi Krenee,

I'm perhaps not the best person to ask about rooting as it's something I've never felt the need to do, the Android devices I have had have always done everything I wanted/needed them to do, and, certainly as far as I'm concerned, the benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks.

The following link is to just one of many useful introductions to rooting :-

http://lifehacker.com/top-10-reasons-to-root-your-android-phone-1079161983

just google 'why root android'.

Back to your original post, I am in no doubt that the HTCSpeakData folder is associated with the Speak app and am quite amazed at the response you've had from HTC - I've sent them an email and will update if/when I get a reply.

9. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    Thanks, I should be hearing back from them soon as well and will post. You would think they would know the product they sell a bit better ..*shrugs* I will also check out the info you sent me..I appreciate it. It is good to know things. It has been a pleasure speaking with you..thanks much.

10. tommo47

tommo47 Android Expert

Feb 5, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Llangollen, North Wales.
    Hi Krenee, I've had a prompt response from HTC :-

Quote:
    "If you're using Sense7 HTC device, HTC speak will follow your device language.

When you first operate HTCSpeak app, it'll automatically download HTC speak language package for your use.

It's normal to see HTCSpeakData folders inside named 'Common', 'en-GB' and 'en-US'

If there's any problem, please feel free to tell us.

Wish you have a good day.

Best Regards,

HTC"

Which is what happened when I moved the folder to my USB Storage, when I opened the Speak app it couldn't find the HTCSpeakData folder so recreated it.

It will be interesting to see if you still get a different response :rolleyes:

11. Krenee

Krenee Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2015
    Female
    I never got an email back ..I did get the first two they sent and then the lady I spoke with said sometime this week ..no word yet . Thanks for the update Tommo