• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

unistyle

Jan 8, 2010
Everyone seems to be so focused on Flash 10 support for the Droid, but it looks to me like HTML5 may be more beneficial and important in the long run. I just read that YouTube, as well as other big name sites, are gonna eventually ditch Flash for HTML5 in the near future, and are currently testing it here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Since it looks like Chrome Browser for Windows natively supports HTML5, does the Droid browser already support it as well? I know FireFox 3.6 which just released supports HTML5 as well, so is it just a matter of time before we see a major push to this?

Well, you don't have to wish, the Android Web-browser for 2.x includes support for several of HTML5&#8217;s APIs for building next-gen web apps: the Geolocation API, the Database API for managing client-side SQL databases and data caching support for offline application access. There&#8217;s also support for HTML5&#8217;s <video> tag &#8212; the browser can play videos in fullscreen mode without plug-ins. We just need Flash 10.1.

Upvote 0
From the Android Developer page:

Browser
Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
Support for double-tap zoom.
Support for HTML5:
Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
Application cache support, for offline applications.
Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
<video> tag support in fullscreen mode.

Upvote 0
From the Android Developer page:

Browser
Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
Support for double-tap zoom.
Support for HTML5:
Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
Application cache support, for offline applications.
Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
<video> tag support in fullscreen mode.

Nice find! That is good info, and answers my question.

Don't get me wrong, I still want Flash 10.1. But I would welcome something to replace it, seeing as how Adobe likes to take their sweet time with just about everything they do regarding Flash support, security, and portability.

Upvote 0
But I would welcome something to replace it, seeing as how Adobe likes to take their sweet time with just about everything they do regarding Flash support, security, and portability.

It seems like their CSx suite is the only thing that they really focus on. They release a major upgrade every 18 months, and each upgrade is phenomenal, IMO. I am a huge CS4 (Photoshop) fan. You can have DreamWeaver for the most part, though I rely on it for certain tasks.

Upvote 0
Umm ... I vote for both flash 10.1 support and html 5. :)

I agree. Here's a quote of myself in another thread.

And what's short sided is your arguement about flash. I love how you non devs spout crap about hings you just don't understand. It shows your not very tech savvy... to say the least.
Your floppy disk/cd comparison is way off. Flash and html5 have two completely different intentions and uses, despite some overlapping functionality, and cds were a direct competitor to floppy.

There has been much ado about HTML 5 replacing Flash. Typically the people who talk about this have no experience with Flash, and thus no idea of what its truly capable of. I suspect that if they truly did, they likely would not be making such statements Even where there is technological overlap between the two solutions, the Flash based solution is usually far more polished Let

Upvote 0
It seems like their CSx suite is the only thing that they really focus on. They release a major upgrade every 18 months, and each upgrade is phenomenal, IMO. I am a huge CS4 (Photoshop) fan. You can have DreamWeaver for the most part, though I rely on it for certain tasks.

Just last year I switched to CS4 coming from CS. I love it. I've been using Sony Vegas over Premiere though. My dabble into video editing hasn't been that in depth though, especially recently.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, they will have it as an option. I opted into the html5 test for youtube a month or so ago and have since opted out. I had several audio issues where the audio didnt line up with the video, and the quality was extremely low at many times, as well as videos not even playing.

Sure it will be used, but flash can do a lot more then html5 can. its not like there weren't alternatives to video in flash before, it just that people like it more, it works better, and more people could use it in more ways.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Everyone seems to be so focused on Flash 10 support for the Droid, but it looks to me like HTML5 may be more beneficial and important in the long run. I just read that YouTube, as well as other big name sites, are gonna eventually ditch Flash for HTML5 in the near future, and are currently testing it here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Since it looks like Chrome Browser for Windows natively supports HTML5, does the Droid browser already support it as well? I know FireFox 3.6 which just released supports HTML5 as well, so is it just a matter of time before we see a major push to this?
The difference is that Flash is now and HTML5 is in the future. It won't even be finalized for another year or two. And yes, I do realize that it's already in the "working beta" stages right now.

Upvote 0
Nothing bothers me more than to be seen to be agreeing with Steve Jobs but he made some interesting points about Flash and why it will never be on the iPhone.

Flash is bloated and insecure. Adobe has shown it cannot put out a safe product that doesn't also phone home.

I for one welcome anything that isn't Flash.

Of course I'm an open source linux guy so ymmv.

Upvote 0
Great write up on Flash btw. I do AS3 coding and couldn't have said it better myself.

I hate the way Steve Jobs has attacked Adobe as being lazy and worthless because of HTML5. If half the people knew what we know, they would not be siding with that moron.

Agreed. What people DON'T know is Flash runs rather flawlessly on Windows. Want to know why it doesn't run well on Apple? Flash has access to GPU acceleration on Windows, and Stevie won't give it up on Mac OSX. Why? Mac OSX as a whole is a complete CRAP OS, with no adaptability, and *any* changes other than Apple's agenda(bad for consumers!) can possibly cause major problems. So THAT'S the REAL reason why Steve no-wonder came against Flash, because Adobe called them out on it, and Steve did what he always does, fabricates lies. Flash is just as secure as HTML as well, if not more secure, and with actionscript you cannot see the source code, which makes it harder to force brute/thwart. So your argument is completely null/void.

Why do people who have absolutely NO knowledge of a subject share their disdain for things they just do not understand? They should realize on forums like these, someone with EXPERIENCE will be around eventually and their post/testimony will be discredited, and you will look foolish for posting this mis-information.

Also, the HTML5 Release/Finalization date is 2022, not 1/2 years from now. This is coming from the W3C itself. Where do you people get your information from? (This is why you don't trust BGR, engadget, etc.)

Upvote 0
Also, the HTML5 Release/Finalization date is 2022, not 1/2 years from now. This is coming from the W3C itself. Where do you people get your information from? (This is why you don't trust BGR, engadget, etc.)
I just remembered 2012 (1-2 years from now) because it was the Candidate Recommendation, and since that's when the world will end it would be quite silly to say 2022 considering we'd all be dead and no one will be alive to finalize HTML5.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones