• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTPC remote from phone. Possible?

mystvearn

Android Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2010
MY
I have a W7 desktop with a LG M227WD LCD TV/monitor. I want to know if its possible to play/pause and volume control of the current played media.

As far as I know I could buy a bluetooth dongle and a Windows Media Centre remote and that will solve the problem. However, I think you could control the pc from the android phone. Does anyone know if there is an app or what kind of setup for media player controller?

I think either way I will need to buy a USB bluetooth dongle for the pc. I'm planning to get a Samsung Galaxy S 2 after my current contract ends in next 4 months.

Yeap - pretty convenient.

My good router died, this supposedly "Better and Improved" one is brain-dead, and I'm just too lazy to re-launch my own DNS server here again on one of my desktops - so I cheated. I set my HTPC to DHCP with manual IP, set that IP to a number up out of range of where other stuff will get assigned - and just input that into the address on the remote setup, so - works every time.

And before anyone tells me - yeah - I know about DHCP leases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones