1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTPC remote from phone. Possible?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mystvearn, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Android Enthusiast

I have a W7 desktop with a LG M227WD LCD TV/monitor. I want to know if its possible to play/pause and volume control of the current played media.

As far as I know I could buy a bluetooth dongle and a Windows Media Centre remote and that will solve the problem. However, I think you could control the pc from the android phone. Does anyone know if there is an app or what kind of setup for media player controller?

I think either way I will need to buy a USB bluetooth dongle for the pc. I'm planning to get a Samsung Galaxy S 2 after my current contract ends in next 4 months.

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Absolutely possible - and you can do it via wifi.

I use RemoteDroid - just a keypad and keyboard.

For dedicated media remotes, see also Gmote and definitely check out Unified Remote.

mystvearn likes this.
  3. mystvearn

mystvearn Android Enthusiast

Over wifi-even better. Saves the hassle of buying a bt dongle.

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Yeap - pretty convenient.

My good router died, this supposedly "Better and Improved" one is brain-dead, and I'm just too lazy to re-launch my own DNS server here again on one of my desktops - so I cheated. I set my HTPC to DHCP with manual IP, set that IP to a number up out of range of where other stuff will get assigned - and just input that into the address on the remote setup, so - works every time.

And before anyone tells me - yeah - I know about DHCP leases.