1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Huawei Ascend Y201 - a few basics...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chinaysa, Jul 7, 2013.

1. chinaysa

chinaysa Lurker

Hi - I've recently acquired a Y201 (model U8666) running Gingerbread on a TalkTalk subscription. I've realised I probably need to root it as the memory is getting used up so quickly but have never rooted a phone before so am very cautious. I'd be most grateful if you could clarify the following questions please.

1) What's the difference, if anything, between my model and the Y201 Pro?
    2) Is there a simple rooting solution for my particular model that you would recommend?
    3) Would the roots for the Y200 work for my model?

Thank you - much appreciated.

scary alien likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to the AndroidForums, chinaysa :).

Not familiar with your particular device, but I've moved your post over to the all-things-root area for the Ascend Y where the good folks here are best-suited to help you out.

Cheers and best of luck!

:)

3. chinaysa

chinaysa Lurker

Many thanks for your welcome SA, and for redirecting my post. Android feels like a brave new world at the moment but am delighted to have found this forum.....looking forward to the journey ;)

scary alien likes this.
  4. perhojfeldt

perhojfeldt Lurker

Hello. I'm new to this forum so I have been trying to root my Huawei Ascend Y200. Have loaded the superuser zip file (upd_1.zip) onto the root at the SD card. Rebooted the phone in recovery mode. Selected the zip file and install.
    Got this error back.

Signature verification failed.
    Installation aborted.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried with other superuser zip files too but all tke same.

Help...... Thanks.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to the AndroidForums, perhojfeldt :).

I think the issue you are having is that you typically cannot flash a .zip file that's not signed by the manufacturer unless you have a custom recovery installed. Unfortunately, to get a custom recovery installed, you usually have to be rooted :(.

The signature verification failure message you are seeing is typically produced when you either have a corrupt file (partial/bad download) or are trying to install a file without the proper, expected signature type (i.e., signed by the manufacturer).

So, take a look at the other threads in this all-things-root area and see what other methods are used to root this device. Hopefully, the good folks that know this device and it's root method best will chime-in and help you out.

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF :).

perhojfeldt likes this.
  6. perhojfeldt

perhojfeldt Lurker

Thanks mate. That's what I thought. Like you said it kind of bite itself in the tail. Can't get by the verification without root the device and can't root the device without getting by the verification. Well stupid Huawei. LOL. Wonder of there are other ways to get to the root through USB. Anyway thanks for your answer.

scary alien likes this.

Huawei Ascend Y300 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews