• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei Honor 5x problems with whatsapp and images

Batino

Lurker
Jan 4, 2017
Goodmorning everybody,
my wife has a Huawei Honor 5x, but she has some problems with it.
She doesn't receive any messages from whatsapp unless she open the app (also for telegram)
mia moglie ha un Huawei Honor x5 ed ha sin dal primo giorno questi problemi:
I've searched online but I doesn't succeed to resolve... any suggestion?

Then...
Another problem...
We have a baby son... so we send and receive a lot of photos with whatsapp and the internal memory is going to get full.
So I'd like to move them to the external sd card that has 16 free gb.
(I don't care if I cannot see them on whatsapp, it's enough for me to see them in the gallery...)
So I've downloaded Total Commander (but I think it's the same with another file manager...), I've looked for Whatsapp Media Folder (as I always do on my personal phone...) but seems to be stored on something like a virtual sd because I cannot move it to another place...
Is it possible? I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot

Hi Batino,

Have you checked at Settings > Advanced settings > Battery manager > Protected apps to make sure that WhatsApp is allowed to run in the background?

Huawei/Honor includes heavy-handed (and completely unnecessary) task management software on their devices, which means that no apps will be able to run on their own in the background except those which are "protected". This can cause problems with apps which you expect to sync or notify you while in the background. In fact, I recommend hitting the "Protect all" toggle at the top of the list so that the apps you install will be able to function as intended.

.... I don't use WhatsApp, though, so I'm afraid I can't help with the second part of your question.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hi Batino,

Have you checked at Settings > Advanced settings > Battery manager > Protected apps to make sure that WhatsApp is allowed to run in the background?

Huawei/Honor includes heavy-handed (and completely unnecessary) task management software on their devices, which means that no apps will be able to run on their own in the background except those which are "protected". This can cause problems with apps which you expect to sync or notify you while in the background. In fact, I recommend hitting the "Protect all" toggle at the top of the list so that the apps you install will be able to function as intended.

.... I don't use WhatsApp, though, so I'm afraid I can't help with the second part of your question.
Huawei's EMUI can be rather aggressive at stopping things running in the background, unless they're whitelisted. WeChat and QQ no problem on Honor devices, and are whitelisted by default. But WhatsApp is banned and illegal here, and inaccessible unless using a VPN.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook isn't it? Which is also outlawed.

Have a look in the settings about whitelisting WhatsApp. Which should allow it to run correctly.

Sure we've had posts before about WhatsApp have problems on Chinese versions of Android.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Huawei's EMUI can be rather aggressive at stopping things running in the background, unless they're whitelisted. WeChat and QQ no problem on Honor devices, and are whitelisted by default. But WhatsApp is banned and illegal here, and inaccessible unless using a VPN.

WhatsApp is owned by Facebook isn't it? Which is also outlawed.

Have a look in the settings about whitelisting WhatsApp. Which should allow it to run correctly.

Sure we've had posts before about WhatsApp have problems on Chinese versions of Android.
Thanks...
but we have already whitelisted it... but without any success
sigh

Upvote 0

I hit that problem this morning when trying to run ExpressVPN on this Honor.
emui.jpg

Chinese govt. doesn't like foreign VPNs, along with WhatsApp, Google, Facebook, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones