• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
One more thing, if its not too much trouble, could you get the speed test.net app (free in the android market) and post what kind of 3g speeds you are getting? Thanks!

Hello,

I am a total newb with Android, having owned this phone for about 10 days now. At work, along the I-75 corridor just south of I-275, I've run the speedtest twice, getting the H icon and results of:

Download Upload
1537kbps 935kbps
1291kbps 1151kbps

Signal varies, 2 or 3 bars. I typically only use wifi at home, but I will run the test there also, it may be 3G, possibly not even that. I'll post the result if someone would like to see them.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Have fun at the concert! I wish I could go but stuck at work tonight. I'm not really worried about the 4g, I just don't want to be stuck on edge all the time. I've heard CinBell's 3g is one of the fastest around if you get a reliable signal. Thanks for the response.

The concert was great!

OK, so back to "real" life... I went to a CBW store before the concert and was running speedtest throughout the night. The sales person I spoke to said EDGE is actually 2G, 3G is obvious and he said H was "high speed" AKA 4G and I would not see H until 4G was deployed in the Dayton area sometime by the end of the calendar year.

It is kind of sad that salespeople are not better educated with products they sell as my tests proved him wrong on a couple of points. I do not recall having a 3G signal at all but I cycled through NO signal to run speedtest on and EDGE or H. I am not sure where I need to go to get a reliable 3G signal in Dayton but was not there in the last 24 hours.

So, unless I was picking up some other carriers 4G the H does not indicate 4G (Also the phone does display 3G even though the user guide says it just displays G)

I have and will continue to collect data in my travels around Dayton and may even take a trip to the South so I can see how the phone performs in "ideal" conditions.

Now I am looking for an app (droid or otherwise) that will take my data and plot it on a map. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
The sales person I spoke to said EDGE is actually 2G, 3G is obvious and he said H was "high speed" AKA 4G and I would not see H until 4G was deployed in the Dayton area sometime by the end of the calendar year.

H icon on your phone refers to HSDPA speeds which transmits through UMTS frequencies ie 850Mhz C-Bells Network. Unless you have set up your APN in the Mobile Network Settings in your phone for your carrier, you will not see a data icon.
4G has nothing to do with C-Bell Ascend X.. it is not capable, it runs on UMTS ~ the Motorola Triumph is also not 4G capable as it is being released on Virgins Prepaid (Sprint) CDMA EV-Do network.

It is kind of sad that salespeople are not better educated with products they sell as my tests proved him wrong on a couple of points.

Fail yes dont listen to them! seek advise here before spending your cash

I do not recall having a 3G signal at all but I cycled through NO signal to run speedtest on and EDGE or H. I am not sure where I need to go to get a reliable 3G signal in Dayton but was not there in the last 24 hours.

See above about setting up your APN then you will be on 3G

Upvote 0
^^^
@beatsworkn
Around here they are marketing HSPA+ as 4g, even though it's more like 3.5g or enhanced 3g.

I haven't seen anything about 4g on the Triumph, which I guess would be WI-MAX since Virgin runs on Sprints network here. They did announce it will be out July 19 for $300. If it's 4g they're not promoting it.

@geek4linux
glad you enjoyed the concert! Thanks for all your research. So what kinds of speeds are you getting? On Cricket 3g I average around 1.6mbps down and 0.8mbps up. Fastest is about 2 down 1 up. (beatsworkn, maybe now you can see why they can get away with calling HSPA+ 4g lol. Those are actually considered decent speeds around here lol)

Upvote 0
Looks like we have another re-incarnation of our beloved phone... this time from Sharp.

sh8188u-sharp-1308954751.jpg

Details:
Sharp SH8188U is run-of-the-mill 1GHz Android, awaits (possible stateside) introduction -- Engadget Mobile

Reactions: beatsworkn
Upvote 0
Hello,

I am a total newb with Android, having owned this phone for about 10 days now. At work, along the I-75 corridor just south of I-275, I've run the speedtest twice, getting the H icon and results of:

Signal varies, 2 or 3 bars. I typically only use wifi at home, but I will run the test there also, it may be 3G, possibly not even that. I'll post the result if someone would like to see them.

Hi welcome great to see someone from the US with a X6 on here, perhaps you could take a couple of snapshots of the "about phone" at the bottom listed in the settings? same as the ones i took in post #137 , you can use the Huawei HiSuite software on your PC to do this.. you will find it here > Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Is your phone locked to C-Bell, are you able to insert another sim (if u have access to one) that uses the same frequency ie AT&T, Rogers, Telus etc and get a H signal?

Do you have plans to flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 Gingerbread update?

cheers

Upvote 0
Hi welcome great to see someone from the US with a X6 on here, perhaps you could take a couple of snapshots of the "about phone" at the bottom listed in the settings? same as the ones i took in post #137 , you can use the Huawei HiSuite software on your PC to do this.. you will find it here > Software - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

Is your phone locked to C-Bell, are you able to insert another sim (if u have access to one) that uses the same frequency ie AT&T, Rogers, Telus etc and get a H signal?

Do you have plans to flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 Gingerbread update?

cheers

Here are a couple of the screens. I would imagine it's locked and off the top of my head, I'm not sure who I know that uses AT&T.

I'm not ready to do an update. It's all too new and I'm happy for the time being! Still just trying to get everything set the way I want and replicate the software I used on my Palm Tungsten T3! It served me well....but it was time. :)

Attachments

• huawei.jpg
    huawei.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
Here are a couple of the screens. I would imagine it's locked and off the top of my head, I'm not sure who I know that uses AT&T.

Hey thanks for taking the time to do this, it showed me you have the best of all the versions of the X6, the original Huawei Chinese version.

Im sure its unlocked and if you are struggling for 3G reception maybe try AT&T, the SIM cards for the DataConnect passes are free. The shop just sells you the SIM card and you have to go online to the "buyasession" link and create an account. The pass is then paid with a credit card. During registration the IMEI of a device has to be entered. However, this is not checked when later using the SIM, i.e. it can be used in more than one device. Highest plan is (1 GB) - $50 valid 30days.

Upvote 0
Hey thanks for taking the time to do this, it showed me you have the best of all the versions of the X6, the original Huawei Chinese version.

Im sure its unlocked and if you are struggling for 3G reception maybe try AT&T, the SIM cards for the DataConnect passes are free. The shop just sells you the SIM card and you have to go online to the "buyasession" link and create an account. The pass is then paid with a credit card. During registration the IMEI of a device has to be entered. However, this is not checked when later using the SIM, i.e. it can be used in more than one device. Highest plan is (1 GB) - $50 valid 30days.
I've been reading up on this, and if I'm understanding correctly, this phone won't work on AT&Ts data network. According to the CinBell website, the Ascend x is quad band 850/900/1800/1900mhz for voice/EDGE, HSPA+1700/2100 for 3G data.

AT&T uses GSM 850/1900mhz bands for voice/EDGE, so OK there, but also uses 850/1900 for 3G data, which isn't compatible with the Ascend x.(1700/2100 for 3g) So you can only get EDGE data using the Ascend x on AT&T.

However, T-Mobile uses 1900 for EDGE/voice and 1700/2100 (both required) for 3g data, so it should work. This makes sense, since I believe CinBell uses T-Mo for roaming, and I have heard of people using CB phones on T-Mo before.

The good news is T-Mobile has a pre paid plan with unlimited talk and text, and unlimited data (throttled after 2gb) for $70/month. This is a very good option for those who buy the phone off contract. (if it is in fact unlocked) Also, according to the coverage map, T-Mobile has great data coverage here in the Dayton area! Anybody having trouble with Cincinnati Bell 3g should check this out.
If I've gotten any of this wrong, or am just misunderstanding it, (very possible), please let me know.

Upvote 0
According to the CinBell website, the Ascend x is quad band 850/900/1800/1900mhz for voice/EDGE, HSPA+1700/2100 for 3G data.

According to CinBell website it doesnt list a front camera, but it does. According to CinBell website it doesnt list UMTS 850Mhz, but it should.

That is where im going with this, the UMTS 850Mhz band. You have the chinese version which ive been told also has UMTS 850Mhz same as the Thailand version, for Foxconn to make another radio chip without 850Mhz spectrum just for a small operator like CinBell just doesnt add up?.

Have a read of this > Cincinnati Bell Wireless CBW Android Phone List
then look at this > Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 Android 2.2 Smartphone | International Classifieds

i may be wrong, maybe they left out the spectrum support? dats why im asking someone to get hold of another carriers prepay sim, turn on data and solve the riddle!...

anywayz if anyone got FiOptic, ADSL2+, or cable at home and has a Ascend X how fast is the phones 802.11n wireless download speed?

Upvote 0
According to CinBell website it doesnt list a front camera, but it does. According to CinBell website it doesnt list UMTS 850Mhz, but it should.

That is where im going with this, the UMTS 850Mhz band. You have the chinese version which ive been told also has UMTS 850Mhz same as the Thailand version, for Foxconn to make another radio chip without 850Mhz spectrum just for a small operator like CinBell just doesnt add up?.

Have a read of this > Cincinnati Bell Wireless CBW Android Phone List
then look at this > Huawei U9000 IDEOS X6 Android 2.2 Smartphone | International Classifieds

i may be wrong, maybe they left out the spectrum support? dats why im asking someone to get hold of another carriers prepay sim, turn on data and solve the riddle!...

anywayz if anyone got FiOptic, ADSL2+, or cable at home and has a Ascend X how fast is the phones 802.11n wireless download speed?
Thats why I said "according to the CinBell website". I realise these things are not always accurate. What you say makes a lot of sense. I don't see why they would go to the trouble to remove one spectrum band either. However, I did look at one other site- PDAdb.net- (sorry I can't post a link from my phone)- and it also only lists UMTS 1700 &UMTS 2100. For all I know they just got their info from the CinBell website as well though lol.

Anyway, I talked to a couple of cell phone stores and they both said the phone was locked to Cincinnati Bell. Yesterday I called a local store that sells various carriers and flashes/unlocks phones etc. He said it was currently locked to CB. When I asked about unlocking, he said it would cost about $30, but if I was interested in unlocked phones he could recommend a lot nicer phones than a Huawei. Thats when I let him go. Why are people so prejudiced against Huawei? lol

So today I called the "official" Cincinnati Bell store and talked to a girl there. She also said the phone was locked. They also didn't have any in stock. WTF? Why would they not have their flagship phone in stock?

I did some reading about unlocking phones, and it doesn't seem like theres much to it, just putting in a code. There are websites that will give you the codes for a lot less than $30. I've never had a GSM phone, so that is all new to me.

Anyway, figured I'd give you the latest.
Have a good one.

Upvote 0
thanks bro for taking the time to confirm the locked status for everyone, im sure it will help others wondering the same thing, also if they want to pay the extra $30. Hell i would. Unlocking here in Australia can cost up to AUD$150 so i think thats cheap with our dollar being stronger than yours :p

CinBell having no stock is absurd! wtf ? anywayz i dont know much about unlocking phones only HSDPA USB modems which is done with S**A software, if u use the wrong software and use up your 10 unlock chances... its F##KD, maybe the same with phones so be careful.

peace

Upvote 0
Motorola does/has not produced a 4.1" display phone, so given the brief development timeline, it's highly likely the X6 was just rebranded over. Height and thickness and weight are identical between the two. Motorola reps have said no Motoblur. Full specs aren't out yet with regards to radio.

I hope Moto kept the top LED indicator, but it does not appear to be the case :(

HI

http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/356478-bad-news-triumph-may-rebadged-low-quality-huawei.html

Upvote 0
WellCom has released its Gingerbread ROM, direct download here

Now that WellcoM has released its 2.3.x are we able to flash this version if we hav already flashed a Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 ? hopefully can be done without bricking your phone like those who tried to go back to 2.2.2 after installing GB only to find out it wont boot!

Has anyone put the WellcoM GB over the Cherry GB? Also wat version is the WellcoM GB? the nb0 is the same size maybe WellcoM just changed the boot animation, hopefully they have a new animation the old one sucked.

off topicish i hear people with CinBell Ascend X cant flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 GB update anyway something about PID error.

Upvote 0
Now that WellcoM has released its 2.3.x are we able to flash this version if we hav already flashed a Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 ? hopefully can be done without bricking your phone like those who tried to go back to 2.2.2 after installing GB only to find out it wont boot!

Has anyone put the WellcoM GB over the Cherry GB? Also wat version is the WellcoM GB? the nb0 is the same size maybe WellcoM just changed the boot animation, hopefully they have a new animation the old one sucked.

off topicish i hear people with CinBell Ascend X cant flash the Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 GB update anyway something about PID error.
Do you guys have a stock recovery? If so I would just flash back to stock first to be on the safe side. One good thing about the Ascend is you can do just about anything to it and still bring it back to life. I've never seen one permanently bricked. Maybe CinBell will release their update for the X soon. I saw an article on Engadget that they are doing an "unofficial" official update for the Motorola phone they have and they're teaching people how to root their phones to get it. Weird. Anyway, good luck and happy flashing.

Upvote 0

No it won't brick your phone. I have flashed to 2.2.2 from CSL, WellCom and Cherry Mobile and also 2.3.4 from CSL, Cherry Mobile and WellCom. And I don't go back to Froyo either when changing between Gingerbread version, and having no problem changing to Froyo after using Gingerbread.

It can't be flashed via recovery, so put it in download mode (phone off and press volume up + power) and connect to PC and use SUT to flash new ROM. I always erase user profile and start anew before flashing new ROM. I use the SUT L3 that comes with WellCom 2.2.2 ROM, but I guess all SUT might work.

WellCom have newer 18E build compared to 18B on Cherry Mobile, apart from that its basically the same (kernel, sadly still the same), but it still uses old Froyo keyboard unlike Cherry Mobile Gingerbread keyboard. Boot animation still the same, the Welcome screen and that annoying sound.

After using it for couple of hours, I change back to Cherry Mobile ROM. I don't know but I liked Cherry Mobile more

Upvote 0
Hrmm so thats why they couldnt flash back to froyo.. you can only use SUT.

Today even before i read your post above my CM 2.3.4 was playing up real bad so i erase data/clear cache reboot and ran SUT1.7 that came with WellcoM 2.3.4 and installed thier GB. Rebooted all OK :D and yes no GB keyboard.

Found this today > MI410 - Gingerbread_beta_FB0-318B-0-5012-A01.7z supposed to a leaked Spice CSL Beta GB. Is that the same FB0 318B 0 5012 A01 as the Rom you have for your CSL nX3NTY?

btw WellcoM have custom cases for the their Huawei X6 :mad: > Official Case ?????? WellcoM A99 ????????????????? 49 ??????????? | krapalm.com | ???????? ??????

or try these > http://www.droidprotect.com/en/8-wellcom

and here is someone i found with the same case as mine Post #16> ??????? A99 ????????,Case ??? ?????????????? ???????????????????????????//??????????? Car Holder | DroidSans :

Upvote 0
Nope the Gingerbread that I try is the final version 18D. There's a wealth of ROM you can download here including SUT.

I get it from Indonesian forum, kaskus, they have huge Foxconn FB400 community there, and the Beta ROM you linked is got from one guy there that have a friend that work inside CSL. The link to the thread is here. Its hard to understand them sometimes, even for me who just neighboring country to them

Upvote 0
What is SUT? sorry for the noob question, but the Ascend is my first smartphone, and the only way we have to flash ROMs is through ClockworkMod recovery.
Software Update Tool. Sometime it give error like I did changing between ROMs, so put in download mode (phone off, press volume up + power button) when it display download mode connect to PC and run update through SUT. You don't need to rename the nb0 with SUT.

Upvote 0
Hrmm so thats why they couldnt flash back to froyo.. you can only use SUT.

Today even before i read your post above my CM 2.3.4 was playing up real bad so i erase data/clear cache reboot and ran SUT1.7 that came with WellcoM 2.3.4 and installed thier GB. Rebooted all OK :D and yes no GB keyboard.

Found this today > MI410 - Gingerbread_beta_FB0-318B-0-5012-A01.7z supposed to a leaked Spice CSL Beta GB. Is that the same FB0 318B 0 5012 A01 as the Rom you have for your CSL nX3NTY?

btw WellcoM have custom cases for the their Huawei X6 :mad: > Official Case ?????? WellcoM A99 ????????????????? 49 ??????????? | krapalm.com | ???????? ??????

or try these > WELLCOM - DroidProtect.Com

and here is someone i found with the same case as mine Post #16> ??????? A99 ????????,Case ??? ?????????????? ???????????????????????????//??????????? Car Holder | DroidSans :
Wait till the Motorola Triumph comes out July 19, there will be a lot more accessories that work with these phones available.

Upvote 0
He says there's no ETA yet, been fixing some issues with it. He broke the back and search key. This is currently what I heard will be incorporated in his ROM:

+Based on Cherry Mobile 2.3.4 (the lightest of the three he said)
+Root (out of the box of course)
+De-Odexed
+CRT effect
+Custom boot screen

And also he say he will made a tutorial on how we can make our own ROM as well. Its been 2 days now since he last post though, wondering what's the progress.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones