• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HuaWei U8860 - damage to /data

dda001

Lurker
Jul 13, 2012
I have a rooted HUAWEI U8860. It runs Android 2.3.6 and it was rooted simply by installing a clockworkmod recovery image, and then installing "su" from a zip file. This is documented on the HuaWei site.

I have done a very silly thing.

I moved an app (using root explorer) out of /data and onto the the SDCARD.
The app was Simple Alarm Pro, and I moved the ZIP part of it out of /data/app and I moved the APK part from /data/app-private.

Doing this seemed to cause no problem, but then I moved the ZIP and APK parts back into their correct (previous) directories.

Since then the U8860 just re-boots and re-boots over and over again until I hold down the power button and press POWER OFF.

I can still boot into recovery mode - "CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.7" and I have made a backup of the whole system from AFTER I damaged /data.

This means I could re-build the TAR files and (?) (remove Simple Alarm Pro from /data , for example).

I have no idea whether this would do any good however.

Can anyone tell me what would be the SIMPLEST way to repair the damage?

Can I edit the backups in some way and then RESTORE them?

Thanks for any suggestions,
David Armitage

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones