1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Huawei Y7 2019 Internal storage issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TealPaint, Dec 27, 2019.

1. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

Hi I hope I'm in the right place, I'm having a problem with my phone, Huawei Y7 2029, it has 32gb of internal storage which is maxed with the phone throwing up constant errors of having no space to clean up phone, there is nothing large on the phone, system is just under 4gb and installed apps 3gb but it says 32gb is used
    I can't find what is using up the space any help appreciated thanks
    Surely a brand new phone with 32gb of internal storage can't become a brick with storage issues when there nothing to explain what is using up that space

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

Screenshot_20191227-173410.jpg Screenshot_20191227-173404.jpg Screenshot_20191227-173416.jpg Screenshot_20191227_173518.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are other things that use storage, not just apps. Any type of data, be that media, downloads, cached temporary files, uses that storage. What does your storage menu tell you rather than the app lists you've shown?

If you can still install anything try a little app called "DiskUsage". That gives a graphical overview of storage usage.

TealPaint likes this.
  4. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

Sorry apologies for the late reply
    I'm still having the same issue but another one too,

I downloaded the app and it shows the empty space but android says it is used

5. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

I will take some screenshots soon, the new problem is it sees an external sd card 32gb but won't use it

6. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

OK I have taken some screenshots, pretty much same has before

Screenshot_20200508-150025.jpg Screenshot_20200508_150239.jpg

Android is saying the internal storage is being used, and being used by apps

Screenshot_20200508-150339.jpg

23gb but there isn't anything there in apps, the app suggested shows the space is available

Screenshot_20200508-150513.jpg Screenshot_20200508-150601.jpg
    It is showing the space has free?

The second issue, which may be linked I don't know is I got a 32gb sd card thinking it would fix the issue but it won't install apps to it even though it is set has default storage

Screenshot_20200508-150450.jpg

It looks has though the phone is using the sd card but won't install to it apps

I will keep a check for replies and have enabled notifications thank you to anyone who can help its looking like an expensive brick

7. tommo47

tommo47 On Yer Bike, In Yer Chair
    VIP Member

Hi @TealPaint, assuming the device allows the configuring of the SD card as 'adoptive' internal storage have you considered trying that. The system should then utilise the SD card without any doubt. I think the reference to 'default' refers to user data such as photos, music, documents etc. rather than apps.

If you make your way in settings to where you have the option to format the SD card you will, hopefully, see the option for the 'adoptive' storage. It makes the card tied to the device but if it overcomes your problem it may be a small price to pay.

This doesn't explain the lack of available internal storage though. How many apps have you got installed?

Cached data can become considerable over time, but even that seems negligible in your case, although it may be worth having a closer look at that and try deleting all cached data.

:thinking::)

#7 tommo47, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
  8. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

It is pretty much the same has when it came out of the box

Screenshot_20200508-163413.jpg Screenshot_20200508-163422.jpg Screenshot_20200508-163429.jpg Screenshot_20200508-163436.jpg Screenshot_20200508-163443.jpg Screenshot_20200508-163619.jpg

9. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

I can't find the option you mentioned I googled where to find it and it said where the option to format sd card, there is no option there to format the sd card

10. tommo47

VIP Member

I'm surprised there is no option to format the SD card at all, although not all devices allow the internal option.

Tapping the gear wheel to the right on my screenshot gives the option, have you nothing similar to that? Could you post a screen shot of your equivalent settings screen ?
    Screenshot_20200508-164702.png
    Screenshot_20200508-170123.png
    You could try tapping on the 'SD card and text' if you have that.

#10 tommo47, May 8, 2020
  11. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

I found the format option hit format its brand new no options about storage settings, still the missing gb of internal storage is baffling my partner has exactly the same phone and has tons of stuff of stuff is installed nd nowhere near using what my daughter's has, I've scrolled down both phones installed apps and nothing different apart from partners apps installed

12. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

I tried to click through every option to look Screenshot_20200508-171423.jpg

13. tommo47

VIP Member

Well, unless anyone else picks up on this with any other ideas you have the option of a factory reset as a last resort.

One other thing to consider is a faulty SD card, is it a well known brand bought from a reputable supplier? Having said that it wouldn't explain the apparent discrepancy in reported against theoretical data in storage.

You refer to it being 'brand new', it may be worth having a chat with the supplier with a view to a replacement device, it certainly seems to be malfunctioning in some respect/s.

:(

#13 tommo47, May 8, 2020
  14. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

I tried a factory reset
    Screenshot_20200508-173956.jpg
    I installed fb trying to max the storage to see if it will trigger n option to save to sd but it does not

15. TealPaint

TealPaint Newbie

It was brand new back in Aug Sept 2019 for a Xmas present I first posted here in Dec but forgot I posted here, was looking for a fix to the sd card hoping it would fix it making it usable nd came across my post
    Thanks bud you tried I appreciate your help

16. tommo47

VIP Member

Is it not still within the standard 12 months warranty period?

You have nothing to lose in having a word with them even though you may not have proof of purchase unless you could get it from the gifter.

:thinking::)

17. AwesomeRoro

AwesomeRoro Lurker

Did you eventually figure this out? Having an almost identical problem