• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Huawie Nova 3i can't play any videos & unknown icon in the header

Queenie AM

Lurker
Apr 26, 2020
Hi there!

The issue in my phone started when I was watching a movie in HBO Go. It kept lagging so I tried to restart my phone.

When I did an an icon that looks like a sim / memory card with exclamation point appeared on the upper left along with the ff issues:

1. I cant sign in HBO Go Account
2. Netflix wont go through after you select profile
3. No video will play in Youtube / IG / Tiktok
3. Google Search is not working
4. Music wont play in speakers and airpods even if bluetooth is connected
5. Power button is not working
6. The rest is ok but phone is slow and keeps lagging

Appreciate it if anyone can help since there's no service center open because of NCov :(

So far I've removed the sim & tried to clean it. Tried to restart the phone. Restored original phone settings. All didnt work. Icon is still there.

To me that appears to be a SIM card notification, and in my experience an exclaimation point on or near a notification icon is never good.

I also notice that there is no indication of cellular signal strength.

So I will assume that you cannot place any cellular calls with this device at this time.

But a SIM card has nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

I see that you do have Wi-Fi service.

So, you should be able to stream and watch videos, music, whatever online via Wi-Fi.

The SIM card could be bad, rejected by your provider, or other things even less likely (failure to pay your bill, or device related).

But this should have no effect on your internet useage via Wi-Fi.

First, power the phone off (if the power button isn't working, just remove the battery), and remove the SIM card.
Turn the phone back on without the card in it.

Either the icon you show in this post will stay the same or change.
Maybe even another icon will appear.

If you are having these issues at home, try going somewhere (neighbor's, library, etc.) that you can use free Wi-Fi and trying the web there. Even a library that is closed will leave their system on, and most will be accessible right from the parking lot. Or McDonald's. Whatever. Just try a Wi-Fi that isn't your own.

If it (Wi-Fi) works fine elsewhere, then when you get home try resetting your router.

There is a way to remove the annoying 'No SIM card' notification.
(I will need to remind myself, as it has been quite awhile.)

In the meantime, there are free Wi-Fi calling apps available, so that you can at least make phone calls and text that way.

As soon as possible, you should get to a store for your provider.
They will probably start by replacing your SIM card.

Sorry I couldn't give more help with the SIM card issue, but at least with the workarounds I gave you should be able to use the device for anything not dependant upon cellular service.

Personally, I use 4 devices, three of which are only on Wi-Fi and have the SIM cards removed.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
To me that appears to be a SIM card notification, and in my experience an exclaimation point on or near a notification icon is never good.

I also notice that there is no indication of cellular signal strength.

So I will assume that you cannot place any cellular calls with this device at this time.

But a SIM card has nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

I see that you do have Wi-Fi service.

So, you should be able to stream and watch videos, music, whatever online via Wi-Fi.

The SIM card could be bad, rejected by your provider, or other things even less likely (failure to pay your bill, or device related).

But this should have no effect on your internet useage via Wi-Fi.

First, power the phone off (if the power button isn't working, just remove the battery), and remove the SIM card.
Turn the phone back on without the card in it.

Either the icon you show in this post will stay the same or change.
Maybe even another icon will appear.

If you are having these issues at home, try going somewhere (neighbor's, library, etc.) that you can use free Wi-Fi and trying the web there. Even a library that is closed will leave their system on, and most will be accessible right from the parking lot. Or McDonald's. Whatever. Just try a Wi-Fi that isn't your own.

If it (Wi-Fi) works fine elsewhere, then when you get home try resetting your router.

There is a way to remove the annoying 'No SIM card' notification.
(I will need to remind myself, as it has been quite awhile.)

In the meantime, there are free Wi-Fi calling apps available, so that you can at least make phone calls and text that way.

As soon as possible, you should get to a store for your provider.
They will probably start by replacing your SIM card.

Sorry I couldn't give more help with the SIM card issue, but at least with the workarounds I gave you should be able to use the device for anything not dependant upon cellular service.

Personally, I use 4 devices, three of which are only on Wi-Fi and have the SIM cards removed.

Thanks for the extensive reply! I let the battery drain completely and I removed the sim. Just let it be overnight. I switched it on this morning and my phone is working perfectly now :)

My theory is that HBO Go made my phone overheat and mess up its functions. So beware of the app too.

Upvote 0
does it say what the notification is when you pull down your notification bar?

No and I tried researching to no avail. Its fine now :) I let the battery drain completely and removed the sim. Just let it sit overnight, when I checked this morning its working perfectly again.

My theory is that the HBO Go App made my phone overheat and messed up with my phone. Never downloading it again Haha! Or I'll wait when its compatible with my Smart TV. Watching movies on the phone is apparently bad.... especially since HBO Go is a new app and keeps lagging. Never had this issue with Netflix.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
No and I tried researching to no avail. Its fine now :) I let the battery drain completely and removed the sim. Just let it sit overnight, when I checked this morning its working perfectly again.

My theory is that the HBO Go App made my phone overheat and messed up with my phone. Never downloading it again Haha! Or I'll wait when its compatible with my Smart TV. Watching movies on the phone is apparently bad.... especially since HBO Go is a new app and keeps lagging. Never had this issue with Netflix.

I always have better luck just streaming from my browser.

If I am in the mood to tolerate ads, there are multiple apps that work great for TV and movies.

Pluto, Tubi, Crackle- are some of what I use.

They even work on low end devices like mine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones