1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support hudl2 update to 5.1

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by tugg, May 4, 2016.

1. tugg

tugg Lurker
    None

has anyone tried this update on a hudl only 15 months old to be notified that the updated Google play services
    cannot update because the hudle is TOO OLD! (Utter tosh!)
    Ergo, no music, no photos, no books. no movies None of these work because google play can't update
    HELP!.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I believe Hudl2 is now discontinued by Tesco, like it's no longer listed for sale. Google Play Store should still be able to update though, because Google Mobile Services(GMS) are pushed and maintained by Google themselves, and not Tesco. Although the base OS itself is updated by Tesco, or more likely the Chinese OEM that made Hudl2. Is that the problem you're having? It originally came with Kitkat 4.4, and has reportedly been updated to Lollipop 5.x.

#2 mikedt, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    boyo1991 likes this.
  3. tugg

tugg Lurker
    None

Yes, your quite correct; the hudl is no longer manufactured, my one only purchased from Tesco 15 months ago. Super tablet for its price, unfortunately no longer. How can I revert back to Kitkat 4 without losing my books that has been purchased thro' Google play store? And I may add, unread.
    Can I do a factory reset and how would I recover my data which has been backed up on, presumably on a google / Tesco server somewhere in the far reaches of the ether?

4. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
    hi,to update play store try this methods . clear cache in settings>storage>cached data>clear cache.
    [1] open play store tap on menu [three line on top left]and scroll down for settings tap on this ,scroll down to build version
    tap on this ,play store update automatically,let it finished.reboot/restart device
    [2] go to settings>storage>apps scroll down for google play store tap here and tap on uninstall updates,play store update automatically,let it finished.reboot/restart device.
    [3]go to settings>> security >unknown sources next to this "check" in the box/enable the switch ,return settings >storage>apps> scroll down for play store tap on this and tap to uninstall updates.
    finishing this open chrome browser type in google search box "www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/
    google-play-store/ " hit, see in next page latest version of play store, tap on this and see play store button /download button or scroll down to download button
    tap on this, a warning pop-up comes,tap on "ok" button .see play store downloading . finally allow to install.after finished process go to settings>>>>>>unknown sources > "uncheck" in the box.
    Reboot /restart device.

El Presidente likes this.
  5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Books and anything purchased via Play are tied to your google account so after the factory reset, once you've re added your gmail account, they will either automatically download or you'll just have to download them from the store again yourself. Either way. they're not lost.

A factory reset won't take you back to KitKat, it will wipe the data partition meaning it will still be on 5.x.

From what I've read, it's impossible to downgrade from 5.x to 4.4.x so you're stuck I'm afraid, sorry. :(

However, I found this which appears to back up the solution given by @Parayilhussain above. Installing an updated version of Google Play Services manually should do the trick - http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/...ices-update-not-compatible-with-this-version/

mikedt likes this.
  6. tugg

tugg Lurker
    None

Thank you Paryilhussain, your 3rd method worked a treat. I downloaded an earlier version of play store. Normal service has been resumed. Many thanks again.

El Presidente likes this.