• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huge Froyo/Gmail Calendar Problem?

dermacular

Jun 10, 2010
I use Google Calendar to organize my life, and rely on the email reminders to keep me from forgetting events and to know when to act on them.

With 2.1 I had no issues, Google Calendar was synced to the stock HTC calendar app on EVO. I had the calendar set to view in "agenda" mode.

Now since updating to Froyo, when I open the calendar app in agenda mode, the events have bell icons to the right of them, this is new. If I tap the event to open it and view the details of the event, when i return to the main agenda viewing mode of the calendar the bell is gone.

The phone then syncs with Google Calendar, and DELETES ALL OF THE SCHEDULED EMAIL REMINDERS that I have set up for the event.

This was not a problem with 2.1. No bells showed to the right of the events in agenda mode, and I could tap into the event to view the details without deleting email reminders on Google Calendar. With Froyo, by simply tapping the event to view the details it is effectively wiping out all reminders, rendering the calendar useless.

Can someone please help me out here? This is driving me crazy, and making me wish I had never updated to Froyo. The calendar and reminders are the single most important function on my phone, and with Froyo it seems to be incredibly flawed.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

My issue is not with editing the event, this seems to be able to be done by a long press as mentioned above.

My problem is that by simply short pressing the event in agenda view (to see the details) it automatically then goes and deletes the scheduled email reminders I have set for the event in Google Calendar. This means I will no longer receive email notifications of events, and fail to act on them.

I had to go into Google Calendar and reset all of my email notifications for my events today as the new Froyo Calendar had deleted all of them.

It also seems to want to assign "notifications" (not email, phone based) 10 minutes in front of every event. I wonder if by short pressing on the event in the calendar while the bell is still to the right of it this somehow deletes the automatic 10 minute notification, and by doing so it is also deleting all the scheduled email notifications in Google Calendar?

My calendar is now an unreliable headache with Froyo. Really hope someone can shed some light on this.

Upvote 0
Not to hijack the thread, but I've noticed some VERY buggy behavior with calendar on 2.1 as well. At some point when I synced, it DELETED ALL events off my wife's calendar (which she shared with me) and put it on my calendar. Needless to say, after she yelled at me, I decided never to sync my calendar with my phone...

Upvote 0
There must be others experiencing this. Basically I have figured out that you can set email reminders on the web-based Google calendar as normal, and if you never view the event on your phone prior to the event occurring you will get the email notification.

If you ever click the event to view it on your phone prior to it occurring, the phone calendar app sees that there are no "pop-up" reminders set, and then syncs with web-based Google Calendar and deletes all of your previously set email reminders.

If you leave a pop-up reminder set in addition to the email reminders, the phone calendar app sees a reminder (pop-up) and therefore does not sync with the web-based calendar, deleting the email reminders.

This was not the case on with 2.1. Although the phone based calendar app would not let you set email reminders through the phone, it would allow you to set them on the website without pop-up reminders, and you could view the event through the phone as much as you liked without the email reminders being deleted on the website.

Is Froyo really so dumb that it cannot tell that just because there are no pop-up reminders set there are still email reminders without deleting them?

This really needs to be fixed.

Upvote 0
I use Google Calendar to organize my life, and rely on the email reminders to keep me from forgetting events and to know when to act on them.

With 2.1 I had no issues, Google Calendar was synced to the stock HTC calendar app on EVO. I had the calendar set to view in "agenda" mode.

Now since updating to Froyo, when I open the calendar app in agenda mode, the events have bell icons to the right of them, this is new. If I tap the event to open it and view the details of the event, when i return to the main agenda viewing mode of the calendar the bell is gone.

The phone then syncs with Google Calendar, and DELETES ALL OF THE SCHEDULED EMAIL REMINDERS that I have set up for the event.

This was not a problem with 2.1. No bells showed to the right of the events in agenda mode, and I could tap into the event to view the details without deleting email reminders on Google Calendar. With Froyo, by simply tapping the event to view the details it is effectively wiping out all reminders, rendering the calendar useless.

Can someone please help me out here? This is driving me crazy, and making me wish I had never updated to Froyo. The calendar and reminders are the single most important function on my phone, and with Froyo it seems to be incredibly flawed.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Review this thread... Hope it helps:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Upvote 0
Use the Jorte calendar. Its free, a million times better than the stock calendar and syncs with google calendar flawlessly. Jorte also has a LOT of different widgets.

Jorte
by Johospace Co.,Ltd.
>250,000 downloads, 10310 ratings (4.5 avg)
Free
rating9.png

chart

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones