1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Huge Galaxy S2 Problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xperience, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Xperience

Xperience Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi all,
    2 days ago i bougth myself a brand new galaxy S2.
    After installing some apps today was the first day to try it out in the wild.
    I send couple of text messages, listened to couple of songs, little bit of surfing and 30 min of video watching and now the battery is dead. Even in idle the battery percentage dropped 1% per 5-10 minutes.

I have checked my cpu speed and it always went back to 200mhz.
    If I look at battery usage i see the following:

Screen: 54% !!!! (even when brightness not set to max)
    Wifi sharing: 12%
    Android 7%
    Android system 7%
    Market 4%
    Standby 3 %
    Media server 3%
    Core apps 3%
    Internet 3%
    Phone idle 2%

The battery has been charged 2 times by now.

I know there is a bug in the 2.3.3 (which i have). But is it normal screen usages is so high ?

Maby worth mentioning i have baseband KE4.

PS: Running services:
    Temp +cpu
    Quick battery
    DRM content
    software update
    Settings
    Samsung account
    SyncmIDS
    Voice Commands
    Digital clock
    Market
    Social Hub
    Maps
    Goolge Services

Hope you guys can help me out!
    Thx

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Sorry to tell you this but that display % is about right, my displays on 59% right now. Sometimes it's been as high as 70. If you fancy rooting you can freeze most of those running apps including wifi sharing which saves you loads of battery. If not you can just disable data conection and background data when you are not using it, which does a good job.

3. TSellers2

TSellers2 Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    You don't actually say how long you are getting from the battery. For example I find that I get about 8 hrs if pretty much everything is still turned on (WiFI, GPS, BT). That matched my expectations for this phone, so I purchased 4 spare batteries.

4. Spbeyond

Spbeyond Member
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    Its crazy how fast a screen will drain any phone. On my droid X I usually have mine set just above the lowest brightness. Only way to get though the day on one charge.

5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

well dont worry just about the usage, just worry about how long u actually last... how long before ur battery hit 10%? and if u use ur phone on a lot, ur display is wats gonna drain most battery. if its most on standby, u'll notice the android OS over 50% and display much less. so yeah, thats not really the important thing but how long u got from it..

btw, wat IS this wifi sharing thign, that most people complain about? ive never seen it in my battery usage page.

6. Vegeto

Vegeto Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    If you're not using wifi, gps, and bluetooth, have them turned off. Turn them back on when you are going to use them. Plain and simple.

Screen % looks normal. If you want to improve, either turn it down, or set your background to something with a lot of black, same for your app settings.

I should mention that before installing any apps on my international S2, I wouldn't go down even 1% on standby after 3 hours. You may have some battery hungry apps. That's not your S2's fault.

Also, keep in mind that your battery has only been charged twice so far, and you should NOT be fully discharging it.

edit:
    Wifi sharing shows up in my battery usage after I cache songs from Slacker to my phone using wifi. -First time I ever saw it.

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

widgets are probably the biggest drain on ur battery. turning off wifi/3g would help when ur not using it.. but for me, the idea of a smartphone is having features like auto updated apps, push mail etc, so this kinda defeats the purpose.

and u dont need to turn off GPS when ur not using it, as GPS is only used when an app uses it (google maps, foursquare etc) so even when its ON, its not active and does not drain battery.

u should definitely keep bluetooth turned off :D and live wallpapers, if u dont want them. u could try a dark static wallpaper, ihear these consume least battery.. u can also turn down brightness to a very low level. i thought auto brightness would really make this screen look even better, but its not that much of a difference even when u turn brightness almost all the way down, and this will definitely save power

8. Xperience

Xperience Lurker
    None

Jul 29, 2011
    Hey, thanks for all the replies.
    Phone lasted 8 hours, but with little to no usage I think battery performance sucks.... :)
    I must admit Facebook, Twitter, PiczPlz and 2 e-mail accounts were set to fetch data every hour.

Is their any good software to know which apps are using alot of battery / cpu?
    Do you think rooting my device would make a big difference?

Thx,
    Laurent

9. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Update your firmware to the latest available. You should find battery life improves.

10. tempest7

tempest7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    I think the issue here is expectations. What phone did you have before the Galaxy S2?

I find the SGS2 is already better battery wise than me SGS1. Without thinking about what I'm running, *my* average usage i get about 8-10 hours a day from the stock battery. Any phone with a big screen like this is going to drain power, but charging is easy especially if you can charge at work and in your car. I don't really hear much better or worse from other smart phone users and specifically other iphone users. Blackberry might offer you a better life.

Rooting allows you to customize and tweak your phone more. Apps, the screen, and the wireless antennae are what drain most of your power so rooting doesn't exactly have a direct effect on that.

11. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    I have 2G on during the day, but WIFI on all day even when the phone is idle, and I have two email accounts syncing every 15 mins, brightness 50-100% depending on inside or outside, and text and call light to moderate each day, and unless im browsing the web, I get about 30 hours out of the phone.

I don't bother having facebook or twitter syncing as I get email notifications from facebook and I don't use twitter. Personally I don't see the point getting email AND facebook notifications both telling me I have things going on in facebook.

I've found the battery will last around 3 to 3 and a half hours display on time, while doing everything else, so maybe your playing with it a lot more than you would a year old phone.

Hope you get any issues you have sorted.

12. lankunit

lankunit Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    You should use android assistant. It tells you which processes are using the CPU in real time. I most likely think that its facebook... so buggy and drains battery especially the facebook widget.

13. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    In all honesty, I can say that it's best not to worry yourself over figures!

I used to...now I don't. Every now and again (really not that often at all) I clear/kill processes from the built in task manager.

My battery lasts for a day and a bit with quite heavy usage and with 3 accounts ,calendar, contacts etc being synced. This is also with dropbox and SugarSync (an alternative to dropbox) syncing in the background whenever it needs to.

If your battery doesn't last a day, you should look into a replacement because it should be.

But as I said, try not to worry yourself with the figures, especially at this stage. I've actually found my battery life has improved since I got the phone.

14. icedtea

icedtea Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Male
    mine lasts about 2 to 3 days. . .but yes.. i also experience the rapid discharge.. if i will charge it by day 1, by the same day, it would remain by 80% by end of day.. with mostly phone in standby or done with mostly SMS

15. kld

kld Lurker
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi All,

I was discussing this issue (screen eating up battery) on the other forum page with screenshots and everything, I didn't notice this one (maybe it can be renamed to something like "SGS2 screen draining battery" or so ;))
    here's the link
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...ndroid-os-battery-usage-85-a.html#post3018882

To sum up, it seems that I get around 17~20hrs only with this phone, with screen eating up most of it (~70%) some have mentioned it lasts for 2 days, that I would LOVE to see! mine can't even survive the day as I mentioned (<24hrs) that with GPS off, BT off, email sych every 15min.