• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huge phone memory problem

PlsHelpMe1

Lurker
Aug 15, 2018
So I bought a new phone (Huawei Y7 2018) around 3 weeks ago. So yesterday I decided to check my memory. SD card was fine, but internal memory wasnt. I lost arounf 8gb of my memory for no good reason. I only installed like 4 apps, please help me resolve this problem. I tried cleaning the junk files, but they only took a little memory.

Reactions: Vukan97
When you say you "lost" 8GB of storage do you mean it was using 8GB more than when you first had it, or that 8GB is used that you can't account for?

If the latter then the answer is that it's your operating system, kernel, baseband and other firmware. The internal storage includes the partitions these live in, so the amount of space available to the user is always 4-12 GB less than the amount it says on the box (varies with age and manufacturer of phone, but most are within that range). So this is normal, and far from being for no good reason it's necessary for the phone to work.

Upvote 0
When you say you "lost" 8GB of storage do you mean it was using 8GB more than when you first had it, or that 8GB is used that you can't account for?

If the latter then the answer is that it's your operating system, kernel, baseband and other firmware. The internal storage includes the partitions these live in, so the amount of space available to the user is always 4-12 GB less than the amount it says on the box (varies with age and manufacturer of phone, but most are within that range). So this is normal, and far from being for no good reason it's necessary for the phone to work.
nope my I had 22gb available 2 weeks ago and now only 14

Upvote 0
Firstly stop using the built in storage analysis, it rarely gives you the correct information you need.

Try using Solid Explorer, which is a file browser:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

(It has a free trail period.)
  1. Fire up Solid Explorer and make sure your viewing the internal stoarge and are in the root folder,
  2. Now go into the options screen (3 dots top right) and select properties,
  3. Now wait for the app to analyse your files,
  4. You will notice 4 tabs that allow you to see exactly where your storage has gone, ( see pic)

The Folder Information tab lists the general usage on your storage,

The Content tab shows you your largest folders on your device,

The File Types tab lists the largest files by type IE images/videos,

The Top 20 lists the largest actual files on your system.

This should allow you to locate your lost storage, be it a rouge app or just a very large data file nabbing all the storage.

I for one use to have to do this with Amazon Music app as for some reason it would never clear it's own data when you remove music, so I had to do an analysis every so often to locate my lost storage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180819-094417_Solid Explorer.jpg
    Screenshot_20180819-094417_Solid Explorer.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 586
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones