• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Huge System Data - A major problem that remains unsolved

Patikol

Lurker
Aug 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

I would like to talk to you, and at the same time, ask for help for my problem.
My device is obviously the LG G3 S, or LG G3 Beat.

I bought this device on April 2015. It was running Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box, and everything was going pretty well.

If I'm not mistaken, around at the end of April, the Android 5.0.2 update came out for my device. I did not update immediately, because I am aware that it might contain bugs and I should better wait a bit before updating. After a month, about at the ending of May, I decided to finally update to 5.0.2.

I did the update with the USB cable using the LG Suite.
The update Failed at the first 4 times, for some reason. However, at the 5th time, it succeeded, and my phone was running 5.0.2.

And then it was the time I discovered the case of the HUGE System Data folder, that cannot be edited, nor deleted.

My System Data was now around 4 GB. And you know what it means to have 4 GBs out of an 8 GB memory, out of which only 6 are available.

It was pretty much obvious to me that the previous 4 failed tries had the files stored there.

The struggle is real. I cannot download any new apps, I cannot update the already downloaded ones.

I want to note here that I do have a 64 GB microSD, but when it comes to Apps, you know that it has to go to the internal memory first to be transferred to the SD. Let alone the apps that do not support microSDs.

I also want to note here that I have tried factory resetting and it did not work.

Ofcourse I spent hours of trying to solve this, and hours of searching the internet. I found out that the problem is mostly like found in LG devices, but other brands aswell. I found a lot of people reporting this System Data case, but in most of these topics, if not all, there was either not an answer, or the common "Did you try resetting" answers.

I am writing this thread now in order to finally find a solution - without rooting - because it will not just help me, it will help a lot of others out there.

I really hope this will not end up like the other threads of this problem, unanswered and unsolved.

Thank you for your time.

I am in the same situation with my Moto X Pure Edition 2014. I had the same problem with my previous Moto X and I thought it won't be a problem with the Pure Edition but I was wrong. Not sure what is the solution but this is really frustrating. I end up resetting the phone and restoring it to reclaim disk space. This is getting really frustrating.

I am not sure if this is Android wide issue or just limited to certain phones/models.

Upvote 0
Same Problem
My story of this "Ghost Data" (Hidden files that cant be accses unless rooted)
So when I uninstalled Hearthstone, a popular Blizzard card game that is around 2gb
My storage looked like this:
*Note: Im rounding

8gb of total storage,
- 2GB of SYSTEM DATA,
- 2GB of apps etc. (All my pictures, music, videos, and other movable files being in my external SD card)
- 4GB of free space

(On the same day as I uninstalled Hearthstone) I tried to reinstall it. Went to the google play store, searched it up, and started downloading it. Waited ten minutes, said it was finished (100 percent), but when I checked it said it was not installed. Couldnt find the app. Didn't receive a notification from the play store that it has installed. I went back to the app store and saw that it says install still, as if I didn't download the content at all. I went ahead and tried to reinstall the app(game) a second time. This time being successful. I was able to open the game, but with no space to get the files to unpack.
Side story that happend during this
I noticed my internet being more successful the second time around. So the first reinstall my internet was slow and couldnt open my internet based app and went ahead and downloaded Hearthstone anyways, which wasn't actually installed. However the content was...
Back to the main story; so when I reinstalled a openable hearthstone, I found out that I had no space for unpacking its content. I checked the apps and boom.
My system data jumped from a previous 2gb to a 4gb. I persume it was the hearthstone content that was downloaded but not installed. I essentially had two Hearthstone. One an actual appliccation. The other one hidden in the system data as just alot of content no app.
I have tried app cleaners and openers/browsers, but I couldn't find the Hearthstone content.
So here are my new storage stats.
100 mb of free internal space
4gb of apps (2gb from before installation and download and 2 from the successful Hearthstone.
4gb of system data (2 actually being the real system data and the other 2 being the unsuccessful instaltion of hearthstone, just having the content hidden in the system data)
Solutions ive seen
Rooting and doing other stuff with it: I dont want to compromise my phone.
Factory reset: I have a lot of things set up already and ill probably kms trying to back up the settings and content. Not to mention ive read of someone doing it and nothing changed in the system data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones