• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HUGE *Wakelock* problem

I don't really know how or why this is happening but I have a steady 20% of wakelock showing in GSAM on average keeping just under 2 hours of the amount of time my phone has been on.

ie yesterday my phone battery lasted 19 hours and the wakelock was at a consistent 17 hours

I have an extended battery which USED to be able to keep the phone going for 2-3 days with GPS, WIFI, everything running and now I barely make it through a days use!

I don't know what to do, or how to see what is actually causing the wakelock to be happening.

Any ideas? :(

What apps are shown as using battery?

App Usage: 52.7% of battery:

Wakelock 20.5%
Kernel Android OS 5.9%
Android System 4.7%
Facebook 4.4%
Messaging 3.7%
Chrome 2.7%
MAPServicesSamsung 2.2%
Google Play Music 1.8%
Gmail 1.3%
Phone 1.1%
System (com.sec.android.app.launcher) 1.1%
Huffington Post 0.8%
Maps 0.5%
Google Services 0.5%
Android Core Apps 0.3%
GSam Battery Moniter 0.3%
TD Canada 0.2%
Polaris Viewer 4.1 0.1%
Calculator 0.1%
System wpa_supplicant 0.1%
system sd card 0.1%
system keystore 0.1%
System mm-qcamera-daemon 0.1%
Twitter 0.1%
Alarmdroid 0.0%
Dropbox 0.0%
system immvibed 0.0%
Clock 0.0%
System rmt_storage 0.0%
S Voice 0.0%
Video Player 0.0%
Exchange Services 0.0%
Package Access Helper 0.0%
Flipboard 0.0%
GPS Navigator 0.0%
avrcpServiceSamsung 0.0%
Google Play Store 0.0
System drmserver 0.0
Pcasa Uploader 0.0
TetheringProvision 0.0%
Talk 0.0%
com.sec.phone 0.0%
Googles 0.0%
eBay 0.0%
music player 0.0%
google search 0.0%
MusicFX 0.0%
Software Update 0.0%
Foursquare 0.0%
Calender Storage 0.0%
SamsungAppsUNA2 0.0%
MobileTV 0.0%
Google Partner Setup 0.0%
WeatherWidgetMain 0.0%
System dhcpcd 0.0%
DirectShareManager 0.0%
Media 0.0%
Samsung Push Service 0.0%
S Suggest 0.0%
NFC Service 0.0%
Swype Beta 1.3 0.0%

Upvote 0
I think a separate battery monitor app will be able to tell you which apps are causing the wake locks. I use Gsam battery monitor.
Good luck!

That's what I am pulling the memory from!

Also, I checked facebook, twitter, etc, it says they are set to sync once an hour. Is that ok? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Upvote 0
In GSam, you have a load of extra views available by pressing on the heading (which is named "App Sucker) and you should be able to deduce a lot more by looking at these. Also, you can press on any entry in any of the lists to bring up a screen with extra info on it (including the Wakelock entry you've shown above).

It's just telling me the System Wakelock has held my phone on for 1h 49m whikle my phone has only been on for 2 hours 3 min :(

Upvote 0
BUMPED as I found what is going on.

FACEBOOK App was waking it SO much, I have no idea why so often.
I've turned off notifications for it and I also found out that Google Music was doing some crazy shit in the background ...
I found this out because I factory reset again and everything was FINE all day (I didn't turn music on until an hour ago) and in that hour the battery went from 90% -> 69% in 2 hours

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones