1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Huh, never knew this...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rocky s., May 24, 2011.

1. rocky s.

rocky s. Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    On the phone with htc over the weekend with my replacement t-bolt - had to ask them why I kept getting prompted for software update even after it had installed. Bottom line was they didn't know. They did, however, tell me that software updates are issued by two sources...verizon and google. They then proceeded to instruct me on how to "check in" with google on the phone to see if any updates were available from them. Here's how it's done - you go to your phone dialer and punch in:

*#*#2432546#*#*

Do not press call - when you punch in the above code, you will immediately get a notification icon in your top bar. When you look at the message, it will say "check in succeeded." (The above numbers in the code actually spell "check in"). Presumably, you then go to your check software mode under settings and see if there is an update available. When I did so, nothing was there - so, with the correct reading of the right software version in my phone and nothing new showing from google, htc concluded my phone was up to date and had no explanation for why it continued to prompt me to update. It hasn't done it since then, except when I pulled the battery temporarily to put it back in my old phone to wipe the contents before returning it to verizon. I suspect that with any hard reset or battery pull, my phone will again prompt for the update for some reason. It doesn't do this with a simple power up or reboot. Oh well, guess I can live with that until the software patch for these various bugs is released. Especially because my camcorder audio now works and gps locks in instantly! :D

In any case, just thought I'd share the whole google update thing. This was new to me, but may be review for the old veterans here. Sorry if this has been mentioned before and I missed it. I guess it just means mainly that I'm not as old. :)

Advertisement

2. JEcht

JEcht Well-Known Member
    None

May 18, 2011
    I wonder if you use Google ota if the update is better than Verizon's ota?

3. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    Male
    Law Enforcement
    Staten Island, NY
    They are exactly the same...

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Yeah I am thinking by dialing this you are doing the same thing as pressing the "Check for updates" button in the settings. The settings button is just easier to use for the average user

5. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    The numbers spell "checkin" just so you know. This isn't anything new to the community, but it is good to remind people every once in a while.

6. dequardo

dequardo Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 18, 2009
    So what does 'checkin failed' mean??