1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Humbled by a Bundle

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I just downloaded a Humble Bundle, only to be told I have no way to open those files. Apparently they all end in .mobi. I have no idea what that is. Do I really have to get another app to deal with this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

That's cool. I checked out the instructions (ha ha) and found that mobi is for that amazon thing, no wonder. I figured epub would do it, but no. Finally I just went with pdf and that worked, thank goodness. I should probably look at more of those bundles.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Here we go again. This time it's not a bundle but a pdf. It's listed in Files but I don't have an app to open it. Perhaps these photos will help.

4. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I got that problem solved. Now I have to figure out whether it's better to go with pdf or epub if I have a choice. Is it possible to translate mobi? Why are some files mb while others are kb, and why are there sometimes differences in size between different versions?

MrJavi likes this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I found a couple interesting titles but they are both in djvu, with no apparent way to translate. I guess Nook can't handle that. There is a Sumatra reader but it seems to be windows only. By the way, I have a new problem, yay. I was looking at a "book" and the pages disappeared. I could make them reappear but they vanished again, and fast. I have no idea how to fix that. It's happened with two of them.

6. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

One file I downloaded has huge gaps. There are some blank pages and others with just a little at the top. Is there any way to "tighten it up" and make it more compact?

7. Tony Gabriel

Tony Gabriel Lurker

.mobi is a kindle e-book format

Rgarner likes this.
  8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yeah, I just found out about that. It's probably best to get files in epub if it's available. Apparently some of the problem was having pdf converted to that format. I guess it's ok if it works but sometimes it doesn't. I went back and got some of the troublesome items in pdf instead as I probably should have in the first place. Leave well enough alone is a good motto.

MrJavi likes this.