1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

hundreds of unknowns turned up in my contacts list

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kim:)), Aug 22, 2011.

1. kim:))

kim:)) Lurker

About a week ago a whole pile of "unknown"s turned up in my contact list. When I changed the display option to show only contacts with phone numbers they changed from 'unknown' to showing a phone number. There are multiple versions of each number, all of which are US numbers (I'm in Australia) and probably from my synch accounts although I can't check without ringing them. There are literally hundreds of entries. I can't delete them, I get a message to say they are 'read only'.

My contact list no longer scrolls, and the alphabet search function on the right hand side doesn't work either. The only way I can get to a contact is the search function and it's really slow. When I touch on anything, even the search icon, I don't get the tone or vibration but if I wait it will eventually give me the search result.

I'm also occasionally getting a message that says ~ "Activity Phone (in process android.process.acore) is not responding", but that may just been when I press a button twice because it's so slow responding.

I've uninstalled a whole pile of apps and run the antivirus (webroot), to no avail.

Help!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. carajp

carajp Member

It's hard to imagine how this could happen but I'd suspect that you've downloaded something 'bad'. If it's a dodgy app that had access to your contacts & phone, I'm guessing it could have added lots of numbers without your say-so. And maybe it also has the authority to phone them. And if you downloaded it and accepted the permissions, I'm guessing it wouldn't trigger your anti-virus software.

Try googling some of the phone numbers. If they're real, you may well get a hit on who they belong to and that might give you interesting information.

Either way, I think I might be looking at Flight Mode until I'm in a place to get on and do a Factory Reset.

Maybe you could post the apps you have here - someone might recognise one of them as a baddie. Or, again, google them and see what's thrown up.

Do feed back! I'd be intrigued to know what's happened. And if you find a bad app, it's helpful to warn others.

kim:)) likes this.
  3. kim:))

kim:)) Lurker

Okay I worked it out, thanks to your comments carajp. I'd already tried unsynching facebook, twitter, etc, which didn't make any difference to the probem. I'd also removed all recent apps, which didn't work either.

Then I figured out that the phone numbers are all numbers from my skype account. Or so I suspected, as the first one I rang certainly was. So I unsynched skype and voila! They're all gone. It probably happened when I got the latest upgrade from skype including the video option a few weeks ago.

I've seen a few other people posting on this with no replies so hopefully this will help.

4. carajp

carajp Member

I'm really glad you got it sorted - it sounded very worrying indeed!! :)

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews