• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hurricane Irene

Watching the storm strike @ Virginia Beach and NC. Our family's ready for it here in NJ. I'm watching The Weather Channel and seeing cars drive by the reporter. I'm wondering if this storm is not really that bad and the media is trying to sensationalize it or if those people who are out driving in it are really foolhardy.

Remind me, when I get off work, to show you pictures I took of the damage Katrina did to south FL. Keep in mind, when it hit south FL it was a TS or Cat1 storm.

No power for 8 days, no cell service for longer, lines to get gasoline were 4+ hours long and it was a $10 limit (cash only). Not to mention the mandatory curfew to cut down on looting.

Yes, it's really something to take that seriously. :(

Upvote 0
The major force of Irene will be felt around 7-10am here in NYC. I don't think that I'm going to be sleeping well tonight. The wind is going to be continually picking up from now on.

I've been trying to keep in touch with my brother down in NC but he's not responding for obvious reasons... either no service or too busy helping injured animals.

Upvote 0
I do not envy anyone who is going to have to get through this Hurricane! I'll take an earthquake... at least it's quick! :eek:

I've been through the remnants of one hurricane in my life and that was more than enough. Back in 1997 I was living in the foothills outside Yuma Arizona and we got hit head on by the remnants of Hurricane Nora. While it likely pales in comparison to Irene, it was no picnic! Tree's down... snakes and scorpions wandering around dazed and confused... :p

Never in a million years did I ever imagine going through a hurricane (more likely tropical storm) in the Arizona desert! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I do not envy anyone who is going to have to get through this Hurricane! I'll take an earthquake... at least it's quick! :eek:

I've been through the remnants of one hurricane in my life and that was more than enough. Back in 1997 I was living in the foothills outside Yuma Arizona and we got hit head on by the remnants of Hurricane Nora. While it likely pales in comparison to Irene, it was no picnic! Tree's down... snakes and scorpions wandering around dazed and confused... :p

Never in a million years did I ever imagine going through a hurricane (more likely tropical storm) in the Arizona desert! :rolleyes:

I'll make sure to let Mother Nature know that you'll "take an earthquake" :p

I could just imagine the snakes and scorpions going "WTF WAS THAT?!?" lol

There is one storm that I would really not want to face at all... dust storms. The ones that have been going through Arizona this summer were scary-looking ><

Upvote 0
There is one storm that I would really not want to face at all... dust storms. The ones that have been going through Arizona this summer were scary-looking ><

Haboobs are fun! Seeing a wall of dust thousands of feet high and many miles wide!

haboob-arizona-110706.jpg

Think of them as a tsunami of dust particles. I'm still cleaning out the dust from my house! :eek:

Upvote 0
I typed in "haboobs" and found this in Google Images:

haboob-run-lobsterdog-run.jpg

My mom would probably yell at the haboob the whole time for getting dust and dirt in the house. She keeps her domain as neat and tidy as possible. lol It's funny when my friends (who aren't used to taking off shoes and are never Asian ones) walk in and my mom gives them the death glare. They immediately know what she's glaring about.

Upvote 0
ATTENTION: As Hurricane Irene batters the East Coast, federal disaster officials warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents braced themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA advised: &#8220;Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together.&#8221;

Upvote 0
ATTENTION: As Hurricane Irene batters the East Coast, federal disaster officials warned that Internet outages could force people to interact with other people for the first time in years. Residents braced themselves for the horror of awkward silences and unwanted eye contact. FEMA advised: &#8220;Be prepared. Write down possible topics to talk about in advance. Sports...the weather. Remember, a conversation is basically a series of Facebook updates strung together.&#8221;

This is awesome!

I'm a little scared :( I don't want to lose my internets!

Upvote 0
LMAO that is hilarious, yet very, very true. I still have the protection of a door between me and my neighbors so I will make sure to keep put. :)

Perhaps they feel the same way about you? ;)

This is awesome!

I'm a little scared :( I don't want to lose my internets!

Perhaps your cellphone's internet would work?

Upvote 0
So I live NE of Albany Ny. Not in direct line of the eye or anything, but we are supposed to get beat up by this stupid storm. The town down the river valley from where I live is having a fireworks show right now. It is raining and nasty out. I am confused as to what exactly they are celebrating tonight...

Upvote 0
I'm in/near Albany, it's probably SUNY coming back...they always have fireworks. It poured here for a minute but has stopped, I think once it starts up again later though it won't stop...
Cleared the back deck off and just waiting to lose power tomorrow. lol. Kindle is charged and I'll leave the phone plugged in 'til the power goes.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones