• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

hurry to close browser?

aaronmach1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
michigan usa
just started having this problem after rooting. now if i get on my browser (stock) and then close out when im done, and go to home or put the phone to sleep the little satelight dish lookin icon in the staus bar stays on. i think this is the gps..Anyway if i close all the windows i have running on my browser it doesnt matter because a new one always opens as my home page google. The only way to avoid the little icon staying on and severly draining my battery is to close all windows in the browser and hurry to push the home soft key before the google page completly completely loads.
what can i do here? anyone notice this? thanks!

just started having this problem after rooting. now if i get on my browser (stock) and then close out when im done, and go to home or put the phone to sleep the little satelight dish lookin icon in the staus bar stays on. i think this is the gps..Anyway if i close all the windows i have running on my browser it doesnt matter because a new one always opens as my home page google. The only way to avoid the little icon staying on and severly draining my battery is to close all windows in the browser and hurry to push the home soft key before the google page completly completely loads.
what can i do here? anyone notice this? thanks!

Does your Google homepage have anything on it to link it to Google Maps? I don't know how else the browser would use the GPS...

You could just turn off the GPS feature. It is on the power control widget built in to the phone, and it's a quick one-press toggle.

Upvote 0
Yes I had the same problem and I found that the easiest answer to it is to change your home page to something other than the google page. The google home page will always try to find your location to make use of the "near me now" feature on the page. I then put a google shortcut on one of my home screens for when I want to use google. When I am done and I close all the pages that are open it goes to my home page (not the google page). This keeps the GPS from searching.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones