1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General hydro vibe 4.3 vs 4.4 battery life and more

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by droidborg, Dec 18, 2014.

1. droidborg

droidborg Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Private
    WPB
    Hello All

I'm on my second vibe now, the first returned for abysmal battery performance and very weak cell reception.
    The first also had the update 4.4 on it by recommendation of a VM representative. which I'm glad I did that. It gave me a little better insight trouble shooting the 2 problems I have with the vibe.
    Battery life and cell reception.
    The battery life on 4.4 was very bad. 4-5 hours using it most of that time operating the 4g LTE and wifi downloading my apps from the Store making settings changes .. etc. This went on for about 6 days.. browsing the internet running apps videos nextradio ..okok I was "tweaking my phone" !

The battery life would not improve although I tweaked hard.

The cell reception problem was not resolved either...that is, while using LTE/cdma. However, changing the network setting to cdma; the signal strength shot up the scale to 4 and 5 bars.
    (I updated prl and profile often as needed )
    So between the two problems,..I asked for a replacement. Which. I've had for 6 days now. The. Battery life has doubled but cell reception is the same. (I kept the battery from the first vibe to better understand the battery issue. More on that later.)
    Signal strength is very weak using LTE/CDMA. Much better on CDMA.
    The difference of battery life - I'm thinking, is I haven't updated to kitkat.
    However there is one other thing about the battery issue. The charge indicator. When a battery is charging a charge indicator pops up in the battery icon on the notification bar. When fully charged the battery icon shows full and the charging indicator within the battery icon goes away.
    That has not happened on either of the vibes I've had.
    Now- VM is sending me a replacement battery and charger.
    Kyocera is sending me one in about three months.. When they get the next batch in. .

I'm wondering what other vibe owners have experienced with battery life and charging. And any other input about the device or OS benefits they might have.

Thanks

Overall I like the phone. Coming from my first droid,a OV, then the Triumph(ic failure by Motorola) to a A galaxy reverb - to the vibe.
    I'm rather happy to have one at 59.99.

Advertisement

2. droidborg

droidborg Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    Male
    Private
    WPB
    Update

Received a new battery and getting markedly better performance

[​IMG]

From the stats in the battery monitor I'd say I had about 5hrs 45 minutes of device use.
    I keep radios off unless I need them on and have useless apps off or disabled ... if allowed.

Battery number

DC140819ABA003649 was what came with the first phone.

DC140602ABA004899 is replacement.

Still running 4.3 ... so was it the battery or is it the OS...
    :thinking:

#2 droidborg, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015